• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks for more daily driving

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

The jeep Is currently on 35 mtrs and I plan to go down to 33 1050. I have bilstein 5100s but I after many years I believe they are shot based on some tire wear issues.

What shocks would you recommend for a more road oriented vehicle. Say 70%+ on road these days. I looking to eat road bumps and make the ride smoother.

Thank you for your thoughts

OME

Yes id also look for softer valved shocks.

But with relocation brackets on only 3.5" lift the heavier valved shocks might do well. But id lean more towards lighter valving do to hopefully not be harsch ride.

I cant recommend OME shocks because I dont know who makes them or the valving. That doesnt mean they wont work they may have lighter valveing.(research)
With most lifted jeeps on short arms it would be wie to have proper valving. If ome has done this or atleast chose to push over the counter lighter valved shocks to the mass xj crowd then good on them

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

the oldman emu says its redesigned-
"the new OME NitroCharger Sport features a triple-stage valving process rivaled only by a remote canister adjustable shock.. The monotube style main piston valving improves transition and direction changes while the extra base valving provides more fine-tuning for comfort and control."

My jeep has relocation brackets and a LA 3 link up front. Spring wise I'm sure I could always get softer, or perhaps opt to pull a leaf, but hopefully there is a good option for a shock that will be a softer ride, but not junk.

I was reading more on the Billys 5100 vs 4600 and it seems like the 5100s are better matched for a lifted vehicles and bigger tires compared to the 4600, which are probably a great choice on a DD. The 5100 I assume compensate to be a bit stiffer of a ride to handle the added weight of said tires/lifts...

Is anyone running the new OME shocks?

I'm happy to research any other brands folks can recommend, thank you for all your input so far I know this is kind of the opposite of how we all end up building these XJs.

Nitrocharger. If thats not Marketing hype I dont know what is. Words like triple thrown in for good measure and rival resivor shocks (monotubes realy)
Did I see someone said they are Monroe shocks I havent researched that.
Im not saying ome is bad or wont work. I just dont think its anything special.

Yes the 4600 is a decent shock comes on some vehichles as oem.

The Billy 5125 has 3 valving options depending on length chosen for your application

The 5125, kyb monomax(Marketing yuk)

The 5125 has Marketing Bull shit in its hype too but you know what your buying but you have to know what your doing to order the correct length.

Bilstein 5125 Offroad Shocks - Shockwarehouse.com
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/bilstein_5125.cfm

The kyb shocks are harder to find the information on the specs and valving but it can be found

Theres also foa I havent tried them yet. So cant say ya or na

Jeep JK Front OEM Shock Upgrade | First Over All Off-Road Shock Technology
https://f-o-a.com/shop/f-o-a-2-0-inch-id-jeep-jk-oem-front-shock-kit/

Well for the money the 5125s do have me intrigued. Ill need to do some research on the valving, and remeasure my collapse and expanded lengths.

F-O-A is a new brand to me, these say for JKs, those are a good deal heavier than an XJ I think?

I dunno I thought xj Was heavier than tj.

Foa is a cheap tunable shock has bad and good reviews. If I buy the come valved to my rig. The oem replacement Post tops foa I dont think have valving options.
Would be worth a phone call.

Ive learned far more about shocks buy talking to those that valve shocks. What you find on the internet is info from old rhinos that everyone swears by cause thats what they do. Well they are not me and not my rig. We gota get out of the dino age and do our own foot work to make wise informed Investments with our money

Back