• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Select Increments XJ Speaker Pod?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
In my search to add some bass to my XJ... looking all over... this seems to be a decent addition w/the online reviews I've seen.

However, I'm always a bit leery when it comes to plastic subwoofer enclosures and the potential for rattling and such. Being as it's only an 8" sub enclosure, it should be just about perfect for what I'm wanting. Just to round out the sound, not disturb the neighbors.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/74136_700.htm

Should be powering it w/a 200W amp. Anyone have any first-hand experience w/this or will I need to be the guinea pig this time around?

Thanks

I have one. It works alright for what it is. I filled mine with poly-fill, dynamated all of the plastic-to-plastic (body panel) contact areas, and bolted it with rubber washers in place. You wont get comp quality out of it, and I run a 8" comp Kicker comp sub with a 500W Kicker amp. I have my amp turned way down, because you do get a good deal of vibration at higher outputs. You may be better off throwing in some nice component speakers in your four stock locations and amplifing them. Although your best bet if you want decent base is throwing a nice bandpass box in the rear with a few 10" or 12" subs, but I dont need that kind of bass any more (thinking back to my highschool days). Just my .02 cents. Good luck!

Last edited:
I would get it only if you really need the storage space. It does not like very much power, the thing vibrates so bad against the plastic. Seems like everyone who runs one ends up modifying how it is attached.

My opinion, buy a decent, generic sub enclosure. You will spend less and get more that way.

I'd stay away from the Select Increments myself. I had one for many years and pretty much just listened to my music without bass in order to keep the dang thing from rattling. Basically what gets you is not the box itself rattling, but rather the box vibrating the plastic interior panel it is attached to, which in turn rattles against the metal unibody. I replaced it with the SubThump box mentioned in the previous post and am a very happy camper. It is secured directly to the unibody and is much more solidly mounted.

Same 8" Polk sub, same little MTX amp, and the difference in sound quality is amazing. The only downside is that you have to cut the cubby pocket out of your interior panel which makes it a permanent modification. On the positive side, it actually takes up less cargo space than the Select Increments, albeit its only about an inch...

Here's a few posts where I reviewed the SubThump. It has pics of both the Select Increments and the SubThump boxes:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1051301&page=2

Thanks for the input all! I had my reservations based on this being a plastic sub box... and the potential for a lot of vibrations and such.

Looks like subthump is the way to go. I do need my hatchback space and don't need to wake the neighbors w/the booming bass. Actually I'd prefer not to draw the attention to myself.... and just enjoy my music.

Never seen this before, but it looks like a way better setup if you attach it directly to the body.

I had a similar setup in my old RX (although it was mounted horizontally), and a few other guys have done this, or some variation, in various threads around here. It is screwed to the body along the top, and at the bottom rear. It won't win competitions or drop panties, but it sounds decent, looks slightly less hacked than most of my work, I can still throw crap in the back without worrying about damaging anything, and it drowns out the rest of the Jeep on the highway. It meets all of my criteria for car audio.

For the money/what you get with that, I'd spend the money on a good set of speakers and tweeters. You can get what you're looking for from that. Something with adjustable crossovers. If you want more bass than that, buy a box, put subs in the trunk. My $0.02

I have a really good head unit (Alpine) and front speakers (6-1/2" Alpines & 3/4" seperate Tweeters & Rear (5-1/4" JL speakers)... But I'm just not getting much bass... Looks like I'm going to be ordering up a decent sub-box & 10" sub combo. That should give me all the bass I need.

It's a damn shame JL cut their XJ Vantage box production short.
Those boxes were built tough. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay some time ago.

subs.jpg

Go with with subthump box. I got it, and with a JL Audio 8" and 300W mono it thumps GREAT and looks the part too. All for around $300 total. Thank you Crutchfield!!!!

Go with with subthump box. I got it, and with a JL Audio 8" and 300W mono it thumps GREAT and looks the part too. All for around $300 total. Thank you Crutchfield!!!!

What 8" sub and amp did you go with? I've been leaning HEAVY toward the sub-thump box, but trying to decide on 8" or 10" sub. Sounds like you're a satisfied customer. Care to share your experience or pics? Thanks.

Back