• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Select Increments XJ-Pod Subwoofer Enclosure

I don't see how it could. The spacer just increases the mounting depth for taller subs. It does nothing to the volume of the box itself.

It would actually add a trivial amount of volume to the box because you're essentially adding a 3/4" long by 10" diameter cylinder to the box. And if I remember my geometry correctly, that works out to be ~0.0136 cu. ft. Practically nothing - but it is something. :)

Here's mine with a Dayton sub:
DSCF2282.jpg

How many watts are you running through the Dayton (RMS and Peak of your amp)? When I looked at the specs for the sub, it looked like it wanted a lot of power. It seems they have some newer models that are a little less expensive and require (handle) less power. And is that a 10" or an 8"?

My sub is the 10" Reference HO. Power handling is 600W, which is more than I need since I'm only running a little over half that to it (I'd have to do some digging to find the specs again). My amp is an old Phoenix Gold that would do ~600W at a lower impedance, but this is a single 4ohm VC. The upside is that the amp doesn't get hot at all even though it's always enclosed under the rear seat. This speaker has a huge magnet taking up alot of space but it sounds great. I saw that they have a 300W (or was it 400?) version of the 10" now. It might be a good choice if you have a small amp.

Even being a little underpowered it is very clean, musical and has plenty of low end. I have occasionally considered getting a lower power handling (and maybe shallower) sub to see if it makes any improvements, but I really don't think it could fill my needs/taste any better than it already does. I'm definitely glad I went this route over the Select Increments or DIY options. I would definitely recommend a little polyfil though. It sounded a little lower and warmer to me with the polyfil.

I've had the SI enclosure for about 6 years now. I don't consider myself an audiophile but it sounds great to me. But I have an additional 10" in a separate acoustic box as well though.

This all sounds like just what I want. Some bump, but I don't need to rattle the mirrors or let the whole neighborhood know what I'm listening to.

If you had the model number for your amp, that would be awesome. I am mostly interested in the physical dimensions so I can find something that will fit under my rear seat. Any pics by chance of the amp install?

My sub is the 10" Reference HO. Power handling is 600W, which is more than I need since I'm only running a little over half that to it (I'd have to do some digging to find the specs again). My amp is an old Phoenix Gold that would do ~600W at a lower impedance, but this is a single 4ohm VC. The upside is that the amp doesn't get hot at all even though it's always enclosed under the rear seat. This speaker has a huge magnet taking up alot of space but it sounds great. I saw that they have a 300W (or was it 400?) version of the 10" now. It might be a good choice if you have a small amp.

Even being a little underpowered it is very clean, musical and has plenty of low end. I have occasionally considered getting a lower power handling (and maybe shallower) sub to see if it makes any improvements, but I really don't think it could fill my needs/taste any better than it already does. I'm definitely glad I went this route over the Select Increments or DIY options. I would definitely recommend a little polyfil though. It sounded a little lower and warmer to me with the polyfil.

If you had the model number for your amp, that would be awesome. I am mostly interested in the physical dimensions so I can find something that will fit under my rear seat. Any pics by chance of the amp install?

The amp is an XS2300. Unfortunately I have no pics of the install but according to the manual it's 9.10"L x 9.25"W x 2.10"H. You could probably go a little bigger L x W but not much taller if you're going to put it under the seat. That was one of my other requirements, I didn't want to use any visible floorspace for the amp. All you see if the Sub and it's nice and tidy and out of the way.

DSCF2305.jpg

I think you said
It does nothing to the volume of the box itself.

In response to that, I said....
It would actually add a trivial amount of volume to the box.

Yes, it's a "spacer ring" and although people use it to "just" space out the subwoofer for mounting depth, it does physically increase the volume of a box. Just saying for arguments sake....:lecture: Not trying to be an a$$ or anything. :roll:

TwistedFocus -- Thank you for the dimensions. Time to do some shopping.

I think you said

In response to that, I said....

Yes, it's a "spacer ring" and although people use it to "just" space out the subwoofer for mounting depth, it does physically increase the volume of a box. Just saying for arguments sake....:lecture: Not trying to be an a$$ or anything. :roll:

TwistedFocus -- Thank you for the dimensions. Time to do some shopping.

Yes you're right, but again, he asked if it added WORTH WHILE air space.....!!!1

i'd rock a JL box if i could find one.. not on my priority list. i need volume for my 10" polk momo dvc sub.

the select enclosures sound like doo doo... like someone else said, it rattles a lot... and i hate when a sub hits and all you hear is rattling. i think i hate that more than a sub that just resonates to hell and back.

Back