• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seafoam.

If you want t do a full decarb do this.
Next just before a tuneup, buy two cans of Seafoam.
But one can in a FULL tank of gas.
Next warm the engine up to full temperature with the engine running start pouring the second can slowly at first into the TB keep pouring faster until it stalls out.

Let it sit until cool and change the plugs and do the tune up, your engine top end will be clean as new.

There will be lots of smoke so do it a night

langer1 said:
If you want t do a full decarb do this.
Next just before a tuneup, buy two cans of Seafoam.
But one can in a FULL tank of gas.
Next warm the engine up to full temperature with the engine running start pouring the second can slowly at first into the TB keep pouring faster until it stalls out.

Let it sit until cool and change the plugs and do the tune up, your engine top end will be clean as new.

There will be lots of smoke so do it a night
might wanna drive it a bit to work out the smoke before the new tune up is all I would add to theese directions. the smoke is actually the carbon burning off including any gunk in the cat so id wait till it is done doin its cleaning to put in the new plugs etc.

Ive used this stuff on my 93 a few times and it not only does what it says it will but also kept me from buying a new cat at smog time last year. :yelclap:

It may not start until you change the plugs but if if does then go for it, there is so much smoke though I think you would safer to stay off the road though.

87manche said:
how did you add it to the TB?
run it till it stops smoking, the smoke is all the carbon leaving.

No, all the smoke would be the oil in Seaform burning off. Nothing magical about it, but it does seem to work well. Per the MSDS, SEAFOAM is

PALE OIL (medium grade oil) 40-60%
NAPHTHA 25-35%
Isopropal Alcohol 10-20%

Could make you own by buying the Naptha and alcohol at the hardware store and mixing it with some ATF.

Just did seafoam thing and have to say for having 300+ mile I would have thoght there would be alot more smoke then there was,but does idle better and throttle response is better as well.Im going to change my oil and then put another can in and see if theres more smoke.I also found out were my exhaust manifold is leaking at:helpme: .Checked on ebay for one waiting for a reply from the seller.

so it will never stop smoking when you seafoam it? i have the worst response from my jeep. you hit the gas wait a sec there it is.

Just did mine a 87XJ 4.0 I6 AW4 242 and it only smoked a short time after I was finish using it. It worked GREAT cleared up its rough idle and hesitation.
I used 3/4 of a can in the booster line the rest I put in the oil will run that for a while then change my oil.

I've sold it, I've used it. The directions state: 1/3 down the tb - and that's best down getting some in the Idle air bleed hole, 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the gas. Once a year should do it.

Mixed to directions it works great on starting up your lawn mower in the spring - really cuts down on old fuel gunking up the carb passages.

In the 70's JCPenny sold a 20 oz spray can that was an "instant tuneup." It sure worked - and made huge clouds of smoke when it was added just fast enough to barely keep the engine running. It took another 2 - 4 minutes to clear off. Seafoam looks and smells just like it.

Up here in the grea lakes we have to winterize marine engines in the fall. for outboards it mostly consists of spraying fogging oil in the carb and trying to use up all the fuel in the tank. for inboards it is quite a bit more complex. it involves making sure all your fuel tanks are filled to capacity so water doesn't condense in there, getting enough fuel stabilizer in there to match all the fuel. getting all the water in the engine replaced with non toxic antifreeze and timing the fogging oil so you stall it out just as the pink stuff comes out the exhaust.

every year there are a couple guys who just didn't feel theel needed to do all that. if the y blow off the antifreeze, well thats expensive. if they blow off the fuel stuff well, that's what the seafoam was for.

I use seafoam religously, you know like twice a year.

90xj06 - your jeep has 220,000 miles worth of build up, it'll look like cheech and chong had a weeklong party at your house before it runs clean... although I would suggest that you limit the frequency of usage and definately follow SWC's comment about letting the engine sit for 15 mins.

ONE MORE THING - use no more than 2/3 of the can at a time and if you can manage it, when you're used the amount you desire stall the motor out by pushing the vacuum hose to the bottom of the can therby sealing the vacuum feed.

Although this is WELL covered already. I love Seafoam, I've used it on 3 trucks so far with fantastic outcomes on all three. If you really have a lot of miles, put a can or two in the tank when you treat the intake manifold and it will clean all the crap out of the fuel system also.

Interesting thread. I've got 86,5xx on my 4.0 and i'm cosidering trying this method. I have run a can in the tank not to long ago and was very pleased with the constant 20-22mpg i'm getting on my highway commute now (no cruise control either).

I have pulled the throttle body off, thoroughly cleaned it, and sprayer throttle body cleaner into the intake to break up some of the gunk. This made for a rather hard start (as expected), and blew out a little bit of smoke for a few seconds. I then got in and drove it around the block a couple of times, rather spirited to work the rest of the crap out of the system. I noticed a somewhat better throttle response and smoother running engine.

I'm a little leary about adding seafoam into the intake though. From what i've read it's pretty powerful and i'm worried about is messin up my o2 sensors. I've already got one I gotta replace, would like not make it two.

Back