• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on Strokers.

XJfreakHO

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so I am in the process of trading my 87 yj for a 89 cherokee 2 door with a 4.7 stroker in it, but it has a stock Non HO head on it.

The guy says on the engine dyno it made 370 hp, and 304 to the wheels on a dyno. That seems very high to me for stock non ho head. I would be swapping a 96 head onto it immediately, and probably sending the head to a shop to have it ported and what not to really crank the power.

Does this sound reasonable to you guys? Also, it has a stock aw4 behind it, do yall think it will hold up? I was debating an AX15 swap.

The guy says all the parts were ordered from titan, but it was not a kit, because he wanted to use some 4.9 parts, etc... for maximum power gains.

I know next to nothing about building an engine, so Im curious. School me.

Those numbers are crap on a naturally aspirated engine. Ask to see the dyno printout.

Im also waiting on the build sheet, but the guys been bullshitting me so Im fairly pissed anyway. Came and test drove my YJ today, we were gonna go back to his place for me to drive the xj, then he says the engine and trans aren't connected and itll take some time. Im not about to trade a running and driving vehicle for a vehicle I can't jump in and drive. Told him to get it fixxed and call me. But my brothers room mate has a Titan 4.9 stroker and his numbers aren't even that high, so thats where I was confused. I could see 250 wheel on the stock head, 300 with a built head.

No way a stroker makes 370 at the crank without forced induction!

Sounds like a line of B.S. Or the seller was lied to by the builder/dyno man, and he is ignorant enough to believe it.

Call Tyler at Rock Solid Fab, he has built several strokers and has all the answers you seek.

(423) 619-4085

Last edited:
Theyre feeding good bs on those numbers..... No way that motor makes that much n/a. I would even venture to say a forced induction would have trouble making those numbers reliably

I have a question about Strokers too. Figure I'll muddy this thread instead of search. My friend with a '01 TJ is looking at droping a stroker in it. Will it run as is or are there lots of "other" mods that he will have to do? Anyone know? I would assume it would be the same as putting one in an 01 xj.

Short answer: Yes.

Depending on the cam, head work, etc it may run better with a MAP adjuster, and an adjustable crank sensor so that the timing can be adjusted, but on the ones Ive built I have usually gotten away with just installing a set of 05+ Mustang GT injectors. They seem to run pretty good that way. The only time I would really recommend the other mods is if it had a really big cam and lots of head work or really high compression (more than 10.0:1).

If it does need/prefer tuning, mostly the MAP signal, it gets more complicated dropping it into an OBDII system.

Like Tyler said though, the Jeep tuning is pretty darn forgiving and a basic no frills stroker build should be plenty happy with some 24lb injectors and possibly colder plugs.

Short answer: Yes.

Depending on the cam, head work, etc it may run better with a MAP adjuster, and an adjustable crank sensor so that the timing can be adjusted, but on the ones Ive built I have usually gotten away with just installing a set of 05+ Mustang GT injectors. They seem to run pretty good that way. The only time I would really recommend the other mods is if it had a really big cam and lots of head work or really high compression (more than 10.0:1).

These?

http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?...ucts_id=1480&zenid=2vrt8r8o9vn2ir2cusq3f0l0n6

Are they 39lb injectors? Thanks by the way!

They are 21lb injectors I believe. But they have the "new" ev6/uscar style injector connections. They work in the 99 up jeeps with the bigger intake. They will also fit the early intake but the connectors are wrong. You would need ev1 style injectors for pre-99, which would be like 96-98 Mustang Cobra (24 lb). The 03-04 cobra injectors are ev6/uscar and are 39 lb, but would be too big unless you were running forced induction.

There are tons of options for different injectors so if you have any questions just give me a shout.

The 05-08 are the ev6... and they should be 24 lb. The ones on American muscle show EV1 style injector connections, so that must just be a generic picture.

The 00 and newer engines should run ok with no sideband needed and only Mustang injectors as Tyler said. He should know he built my (old) one

370 hp 300 tq are way wrong for numbers on a stroker. 370tq 300 hp are a little more in the realm of possible but that'd probably be a 4.7 or bigger with a short rod setup and high compression. Does that sound right?

I'd say you are close. But yes it would take a lot of cam, compression, & head work to get it there.

Back