• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saddle Up trail work

UPDATE - Sept 2013 - Rough Cut In Review (cont...)

By the time I got to this point the weather had turned even worse.... and it REALLY started coming down.
By the time I made it back down to the Jeep I was soaked.
Thats right about the time Jahmaal Rebb from ODF showed up.

At that point the damage was done.... this would prove to be a common appearance for the both of us for the rest of the day:

We both dawned our own rain gear and hardhats, and set off to the upper section, right about where that last pic was taken.
Past the tree line I pointed out a couple pics ago is a trail called Dog Leg.
PART of this trail will remain, however the lower section will get wiped out, and exist no more.

This is where the second phase of Saddle Up was to continue.
The goal was to tie Saddle Up in with Firebreak 5... a goal that both ODF, and every OHV enthusiast I've talked to has been very excited about. I've taken a small section of the trail map and drawn in another rough mark-up of what this will look like.

We were originally planning on starting work on this next spring.... Jahmaal had other plans, and decided to give us an early Cristmas present!
As was mentioned in an earlier post, ODF has had some time to dedicate to this project, and the equipment to back it up as well.
Over the last week or so, they have managed to get the rough cut-in on a good 3/4 of the tie in to FB5.
Here in this pic you can see the tree line where the old back entrance to Saddle Up came thru, as well as the last lower section of Dog Leg....
What you see in the pic will get torn up and closed, But i'm essentially standing at the crossing point of the second phase of Saddle up and the crossing/tie-in point with Dog Leg.

This part of our new trail is going to be awesome..... I think initially it will in some parts resemble certain sections of Cedar Tree, in winds its way along the hillside thru trees, and over rocks. There's going to be some widening of the trail to allow more two-way traffic in spots, but here too, the rough cut-in is basically done:

This back half of the trail still has some great elevation changes...oh yes there WILL BE more hill climbs. I wasnt able to take as many pics as I wanted to in here mostly because of the weather.
But the scenery is awesome as the trail continues for some time winding thru the trees:

This whole area is strewn with some great, massive, natural rock formations that you can see in this next pic.
The surrounding terrain will eventually erode and the true character of this section of trail will start to show itself.

I couldn't be happier with how this trail is developing. Jahmaal has kept our original intentions in mind the whole time, and it's been an absolute pleasure working with him throughout the whole process. There's still alot of work to do, and the trail still needs to go thru a fair amount of compaction before we can open it up. We have to be careful not to open it up too soon either.... if the ground is too saturated before its fully compacted, then we'll end up doing more harm than good by getting rigs on it. Tire spin this early in the game will absolutely destroy a virgin trail like this.
A little moisture is fine, we can deal with that, and will all be apart of how the trail evolves. However we have to take into consideration all the factors involved here. With that said....THERE IS STILL A SLIGHT CHANCE, that we will see this trail open for a short time this fall..... but I'd say plan it it not being available till spring.

I want to run this more than anyone.... but it may come down to us letting the forestry dept. and mother nature do their thing... winter will come and this area will be impassable to most rigs anyways. A good snow pack will really help set the trail in place, and give us a level of compaction we cant get otherwise. The spring melt off will carry away some of the more loose topsoil and reveal more of what the trail really has to offer anyways.
If we bide our time over the winter, come in after the first thaw, and clean things up a bit.... I think we will have one our hands one of the most remarkable new trails this area has seen in some time.

...stay tuned folks, there will be more to come!

With all the decent weather we've been having lately, ODF has been putting in alot of hours up there working on our trail.... and because of that, Saddle Up is now done!
However, Class II rigs will not be allowed on it till spring of 2014.
Jahmall and I have talked about the possibility of a "club-only-just-this-one-time-run".... but nothing is official.
This is mainly for erosion control. The ground is still pretty soft, and ODF wants to have as much natural compaction to take place before we start wheeling it. They have opened it up for quad and bike use though, as these guys wont do too much damage to it.
4WD vehicles would just tear this new trail up over the winter, (especially if not locked) and prob make it unpassable at a certain point, or at the very least change its difficulty rating.
This is all in the hopes of prolonging the natural evolution of the trail, and let it's character develop more naturally over time vs. "all at once" ...and having to repair and maintain it more frequently. ODF has integrated a lot of sustainability in the second portion of the trail, ensuring that maintenance is not only going to be easy, but also less frequent. Anyone is welcome to go up there and walk the trail, or ride their ATV's on it at this point, just make sure if you ARE walking, you are mindful and respectful of the people who are using it.
I am going to try to make it up there again here soon for another video walk-thru of the trail, and to take more pics.
I of course will post this up as soon as I do.

:yelclap: maby we should do a NWC ATV ride to check it out soon.

If we can't do a jeep run... will a mtn bike work?
icon6.gif

As far as I know it is still our trail. Its been a number of years since I've been in contact with jamaal rebb from tsf. Kind of irked me when he decided to convert a dirtbike trail into the upper section of saddle up instead of letting us cut a new trail. I'll send off an email to confirm possesion.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a trail maintenance day soon though.

Cool, I think we should get involved with it again especially if it is still associated with us.

As long as the other BOD don't object,I don't see a problem with you continuing what you were working on with the project since you were already involved in it, assuming you want to.

It would be nice to have a person actively keeping up with whats going on up there so we can keep the chapter involved.

Just received a reply from jamaal even......

Aaron, NAXJA is still the adoptee up on Saddle up. There has been a couple of issues that have developed up there but otherwise normal business. I will not change an adoption without club approval normally. Right now there is snow up there and I haven’t gotten up to see how deep it is. As far as closures, we only have Airplane Hill and University Firepower closed.

Cool, I think we should get involved with it again especially if it is still associated with us.

As long as the other BOD don't object,I don't see a problem with you continuing what you were working on with the project since you were already involved in it, assuming you want to.

It would be nice to have a person actively keeping up with whats going on up there so we can keep the chapter involved.

I don't have a problem with remaining actively involved with our adopt a trail @ tsf. I don't know how active I can be but I will remain to do what I can when I can.

I think a spring maintenance run would be a good idea after the thaw. It will give us a chance to reevaluate the compaction and repair damages caused by the few recoveries performed this winter.

Hi Guys :wave:

Last I was up there we were still the name on the trail. the signs are still up to my amazement! I have ran it a few times in the last year and i will say that there is definitely a need for some work up there. I usually run it down(depending on heading).

Headed down on the 1st section:

The flat"ish" spot along the ravine has become WAY off camber. We knew when we built it there would be some pucker factor to this spot, but as it sits now. it only takes one laps in judgment or one wrong bounce off a tree stump (there are several along that spot) to send you tumbling down hill. (we lost a yoda to a multi roll over last month) Placing logs or boulders along the edge to prevent a tumble would be our best bet there.

further down the trail, (same direction there is a big rutted out section in the center of the trail and there are some canopener size rocks starting to protrude from the trail. this is a good obstacle headed up, but going down it is flat dangerous! Mopar440 and i almost flopped my XJ there, and there was not much i could have done to not. Because of it, there are some bypasses getting cut in, bypasses that we did not place there. they look alright, but they were never part of the original trail.

from there down everything looks good (last i saw) the mid trail filter is nice! and the lower filter is still intact and operational. everything else is still safe, and developing. i like it!

If there's anything i can to to help id like to. Let me know when/if the ball starts to roll. ill throw my hands in!

Looking forward to seeing what yall do with the place!

:party:
Bronze

Hi Guys :wave:

Last I was up there we were still the name on the trail. the signs are still up to my amazement! I have ran it a few times in the last year and i will say that there is definitely a need for some work up there. I usually run it down(depending on heading).

To be fair, the trail was planned and cut in to be ran up hill not down.
Headed down on the 1st section:

The flat"ish" spot along the ravine has become WAY off camber. We knew when we built it there would be some pucker factor to this spot, but as it sits now. it only takes one laps in judgment or one wrong bounce off a tree stump (there are several along that spot) to send you tumbling down hill. (we lost a yoda to a multi roll over last month) Placing logs or boulders along the edge to prevent a tumble would be our best bet there.

I like the idea of adding barricades to minimize carnage, but the trail is intended to be double black diamond. It is intended to be navigated by rigs with 2 lockers and a driver with skill.

further down the trail, (same direction there is a big rutted out section in the center of the trail and there are some canopener size rocks starting to protrude from the trail. this is a good obstacle headed up, but going down it is flat dangerous! Mopar440 and i almost flopped my XJ there, and there was not much i could have done to not. Because of it, there are some bypasses getting cut in, bypasses that we did not place there. they look alright, but they were never part of the original trail.

Again, intended to be ran uphill. I'm not opposed to making some permanent bypasses. I kind of figured the community would make somefor us. Also, we always knew the boulders would develope as the trail aged. At one point it was 15ft down to reach rock. As the trail develops it will get rutted WAY down. It was planned that way.

from there down everything looks good (last i saw) the mid trail filter is nice! and the lower filter is still intact and operational. everything else is still safe, and developing. i like it!

If there's anything i can to to help id like to. Let me know when/if the ball starts to roll. ill throw my hands in!

we'll need all the help we can get

Looking forward to seeing what yall do with the place!

:party:
Bronze

Thanks for the input John. I hope saddle up becomes the new go-to destination in the tsf trail system. But I don't want anyone to die, so the challenge is to make it safer but retain its hardcore difficulty.

Back