• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running doorless

87CherokeeChief said:
I run doorless during the summer and still havent figured out a good way to keep the interior lights from coming on besides pulling the fuse. and also if my headlights are in i get that annoying buzzing...solution....??

Brett

unscrew the pin from the doorjam and pull the "button" completely out. Then use a small ziptie tied around the plastic wrap to keep it from falling back inside. The ziptie is only to make it too large to fall back in.. not to tie it off to something. never worry about it again.

mine wouldn't come out due to the amount of rust on them. so here''s what i did. first eliminate the blue plastic box on driver's lower left by fuse panel (chime module thing) then, remove fuse for interior lights.

that got old after about three days, so i bolted little steel ties over the buttons. got the job done.

my Friend has a ZJ took his doors off when he did the rubicon. The doors would not fit on afterwards the doorjams had tristed about three inches. The one thing we also did before going was cut the rear of the body off right behind and below the rear window and cut the hatch in half and welded it back on. so it would act like a tailgate. He did not seem to care because we had also cut the fenders as far as they would go to fit 38s with 4 in of lift. the thing worked great but it looked like monster. This thing was the definition of piece of trash by the way it looked. It worked like a dream. he also painted on flames with a magic marker. Can a car have negative resale value? The air conditioning never seemed to work quite as well.

i'm not quite sure what "tristing" is, but tristing three inches seems a bit much. Hasn't happened to many of the doorless xj's around here luckily.

jk, but i guess if you run doorless with half of the body cut off, that would play some role.

begster said:
There are still 2 windows in the back doors that I'm not going to take off, and it would be better to have control over them.
husky250rider got the other half right, open the back hatch.

Yes, this is true, but if I have my car running, and my friend goes to open my hatch, I don't want to have to shut my car off just to open it up. Plus, I go out to my car numerous times when its in the driveway, and I don't want to get out there, realize I forgot the key, then go back and get it. Yes it sounds like I'm lazy, but it would just be so much easier.

jfiscus, thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good idea, I was planing on driving up to a salvage yard tomorrow for a new fender and tail lights, I'll pick these up while im up there. I agree this sounds like it will work.

why would you lock the back hatch? your running doorless. maybe thieves wont notcie the lack of doors, or realize the ease of entry through them?

For the interior lights, plug blade connectors into the place the fuse goes, put the same fuse inline on the wires and connect it to a switch on the dash... When the switch is on, the dome lights work from the door pins, but when you turn the switch off, it is just like removing the fuse..... Could possibly use a DPDT switch and accomplish the buzzer issue on the same switch..... Label it "With" and "Without".... :D

I think there are some valid reasons for wanting access to the power locks and windows, even though the front doors are removed.

Power Windows: 4dr XJ. Ability to roll down the rear windows from the drivers seat.

Power Locks: One might want to lock the rear doors if they have children riding in the back seat. Yes, some folks on here have children.

One solution to the windows would be to use the central window switch console from a Jeep Liberty:
Console.jpg

Then you would only have to unplug the power (and probably a ground) wire when removing the door. The key is that the switch has to be plugged in. It doesn't matter if the window regulators get power.

If you don't feel like plugging in your power/ground wires, buy some door contacts:

wirelesscontacts.jpg

Ok, Did the mod a while back, but on my 98, i have a problem with the doors fitting just right. The hinge on the car is a larger bolt then the ones on the doors, and i cant take the hinge off the door to drill it bigger because they wont come OFF! So what have some of you guys who have the newer XJ's do about the small crack that is at the top of the door?

Back