• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Commander rims on an XJ

90PioSport99 said:
Those are almost identical to what came on 5.9Ls aren't they?

No, those were pretty different. Silver, and 16s, and just a different design.

P4090017.JPG

90PioSport99 said:
I've never actually seen them around on a Jeep before, but I like them too. I'm not a fan of huge bling bling chrome, but I think 17" with a thick tire (31") would be okay.

You like my choice then of 17" rims and a 32" tyres ( 265x70x17 )

XR8RIMS3.jpg

XR8RIMS2.jpg

Gojeep said:

XR8RIMS3.jpg

XR8RIMS2.jpg
Yes I do, those look really nice.I had never seen your Jeep sporting those before.

Gojeep said:
You know the funniest thing about all this talk about support from the centre hub lip, they are not even the same size front and rear on our XJ's! The front hub has a Ford size of 70.7 mm and the rear axle lip is 71.6 mm. :0
Found this out when I fitted some Ford wheels which bolted straight onto the front but not on the rear. Measured them with a digital caliper and that is what I found. Couldn't believe it as always thought they would be exactly the same as other vehicles. I ended up turning down the rear axle to match the front.
Marcus, the way I read this is, the difference in hub OD front to back just confirms what I (and others if you read throught that thread that I linked to) have been saying: that the weight of the vehicle dosen't bear on the lip of the hub. Otherwise, it would bear weight in the back (where the wheels are a snug fit) but not the front (where the wheel center is quite a bit looser around the hub).......with the stock Jeep wheels. Also, didn't you turn the end of the axle shaft down to fit your Ford Falcon rotors instead of opening the rotors up (would make replacements simpler) and if you ever swapped to a different Ford wheel they would just bolt on (instead of having to bore the center hole out) . The pressure of the wheel against the axle flange (wheel mounting surface) provided by the clamping force of the lug nuts is what really carries the weight. Or, so i've been told by engineering types......but what do they know. :dunno: --------Hans

Gojeep said:

XR8RIMS3.jpg

XR8RIMS2.jpg
Wow, that looks great!
I'd really like to get some bigger wheels and I'm just about ready for some new skins so the time is running short.

Not meaning to hijack but has anyone seen the 18" Magnum RT wheels on the XJ? I'm not a huge fan of them on a smaller Jeep but on a lifted rig I think they 'might' look pretty good.
For a bonus they are the same bolt pattern as the XJ.

01XJ_on_RTs.jpg

P9030132.jpg

Whatcha think?

JEEPZZ said:
Wow, that looks great!
I'd really like to get some bigger wheels and I'm just about ready for some new skins so the time is running short.

Not meaning to hijack but has anyone seen the 18" Magnum RT wheels on the XJ? I'm not a huge fan of them on a smaller Jeep but on a lifted rig I think they 'might' look pretty good.
For a bonus they are the same bolt pattern as the XJ.

01XJ_on_RTs.jpg

P9030132.jpg

Whatcha think?
I like the top one, but the bottom one looks disproportionate for some reason.

Oatmeal said:
Marcus, the way I read this is, the difference in hub OD front to back just confirms what I (and others if you read throught that thread that I linked to) have been saying: that the weight of the vehicle dosen't bear on the lip of the hub. Otherwise, it would bear weight in the back (where the wheels are a snug fit) but not the front (where the wheel center is quite a bit looser around the hub).......with the stock Jeep wheels. Also, didn't you turn the end of the axle shaft down to fit your Ford Falcon rotors instead of opening the rotors up (would make replacements simpler) and if you ever swapped to a different Ford wheel they would just bolt on (instead of having to bore the center hole out) . The pressure of the wheel against the axle flange (wheel mounting surface) provided by the clamping force of the lug nuts is what really carries the weight. Or, so i've been told by engineering types......but what do they know. :dunno: --------Hans
I have done as you said and reduced the size of the rear axle spigot so stock Ford disc rotors can be used and also the Ford rims are unchanged. I always thought that the spigot was there to support the wheel load but as the front hubs does not do this, it shoots that theroy in the foot doesn't it!

Yea I think the R/T rims would looks great on a nicely lifted rig with some 35's. Talk about expensive tires though!! As for the bolt pattern... Gotta love mopar :)

Edit: HOLY!! Some 34x12 MTR's are $299 a pop! Forget that...

Gojeep said:
I have done as you said and reduced the size of the rear axle spigot so stock Ford disc rotors can be used and also the Ford rims are unchanged. I always thought that the spigot was there to support the wheel load but as the front hubs does not do this, it shoots that theroy in the foot doesn't it!
Sorry about that, just the latest volley in an online argument with one of the other posters on the subject of hub-centric spacers.......I thought I was done with it :looney: Your Cherokee, by the way, looks better everytime I see it!----------Hans

Well after seeing Todd's post of the Charger wheels, I just agreed to buy a set for $300 that were only run for a week before taken off for 22"s. They have brand new 225s on them. The problem with this is the 225s are not going to look right on my 3" lifted XJ, so I'm going to have to get new tires. The good news is it looks like junkyards get about $200 per wheel, so it doesn't look like I got hurt bad paying $75 per wheel instead. What size tires do you guys suppose are on that blue XJ in the top pic? Think those are about 225s?

Last edited:
225 could be the width of the tire, but the aspect ratio is what determines the height. those look like they'd be around 225/55 R18 or something near that. (width/sidewall height R wheel diameter) maybe wider, actually. more like 240/50 R18?

JEEPZZ said:
Continental 225/60 18s
Okay and I'm thinking that's on a stock XJ too. My 3" lift would make 225s look like Hot Wheels tires. Looks like I'm in the market for some 265/60 R18s then.

Not the best picture, I will snap some more soon, but I have some 17" limited commander rims on my 1997 XJ sport had to get an adapter kit and 2" leveling kit but it was worth it. So terrible pic, I will take more soon.
4312409698_958573c46f.jpg

Back