• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ruined my new CSF three core radiator...any idea why?

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
'91 XJ, 4.0, AX15, NP231, D30, 29 spline 8.25, A/C if it matters.

Well, I'm a little baffled by this. Here's the background. About 4 months ago I replaced my clogged stock radiator with a CSF 3 core brass and copper. (Very nice upgrade, BTW. The system's cooling ability is drastically improved.) I also replaced the fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, and various hoses/clamps.

After completing the install, I checked to make sure that clearances were good with the fatter radiator. All checked out good and the Jeep worked well until I took it to Naches in September. At the beginning of the trip I engaged 4-low. When I started to accelerate in a relatively flat area, I heard a ticking/scraping sound. I shut it down and looked under the hood but found nothing. I completed the trip, although whenever I was producing a little torque the ticking would become worse. On the way home my Jeep was making the sound in 2 wheel drive as well now. I could avoid it if I didn't try to accelerate quickly. Accelerating aggressively made the sound louder, and was definitely tied to engine speed.

After further investigation, it appeared that the fan was contacting the fan shroud under torque. I kept driving it and just didn't accelerate quickly due to a lack of time to correct the "minor" problem...until today.

I began smelling coolant this morning so decided to have a look. I figured I'd modify/reposition the fan shroud while I was tracking down the coolant smell. What I found was that in addition to the fan hitting the shroud, the fan clutch had contacted one of the support stringers on the radiator and had driven the stringer into the radiator causing a pinhole leak. ARGH! Although contact was obvious, there is currently a 1/2" gap between the fan clutch and where the stringer used to be. What the heck!?

Motor mounts and transmission mount were replaced about 1 1/2 years ago. There aren't any cracks in them and they look to be in good condition. There isn't any excessive movement when checking them with a long pry bar. Attachments to frame and crossmember are intact and tight. The radiator is securely fixed to the frame crossmember and doesn't wiggle even a little bit.

My long-winded explanation (sorry) leads to a few questions. How does the motor move forward that much!? I understand that the motor can rotate in the mounts a little bit under torque. I had no idea that it could move, or even be forced to move forward much at all, otherwise I may have been more concerned with tight clearances with the new radiator.

Is 1/2" enough space between fan clutch and radiator? Has anyone else had this happen? What am I missing about the motor being able to move forward in it's mounts?

BTW, I mounted the radiator using stock attachment locations and no other modifications.

The Jeep is driveable right now, but I don't want to put a repaired radiator in without researching something I may have missed in the install. I hope you guys can help shed some light on this.

Thanks.

Sounds like classic failing motor/tranny mounts symptoms. Watched a friends jeep do the same thing the other weekend too.

Get some nice Brown Dog mounts and soder up the radiator and you should be good to go again.

EDIT: check the fan clutch again too. The new fan clutch coulda ended up pushing the fan blades forward a little bit too or the maybe even the clutch is junk and starting to break down and expend.

Sounds like classic failing motor/tranny mounts symptoms. Watched a friends jeep do the same thing the other weekend too.

Get some nice Brown Dog mounts and soder up the radiator and you should be good to go again.

:shhh:

My Jeep did this at Rocktoberfest, +1 on the motor mounts

check the trans mount, if it tears your motor will twist forward as the torque is applied and the trans lifts from the crossmember in the rear. even if the motor mounts are still good (they become the pivot point). This would explain why it started in 4 low, because of the extra load on the driveline.

Mine did the same thing after I installed my new cross member. I pushed the trans up some, which in turn leaned the motor forward close to the fan. First trip out on my new axles and suspension I had the exact same thing happen. I also have an aftermarket 3 core. My motor mounts were fairly new, it was raising the trans up just an inch that pushed the fan forward just enough to hit under load. If you look at the front of your fan clutch there's some little ears that stick out about an inch, I grabbed a pair of pliers and snapped those ears off, and haven't had a problem since. :) I also had my radiator repaired and It's still cooling just fine.

A bent transmission crossmember can also cause this.

Otherwise, my bet is the same as the other guys... fan clutch if you replaced it recently, motor/tranny mounts. Can't be much else unless you mounted the radiator wrong (very difficult to do, it only goes in one way really) or your fan blades are bent forward or something.

you didint upgrade toe fan clutch right? Dpgoffroads website says stick with the stock smaller unit so this doesnt happen.

It's a stock fan clutch. The tabs on the fan clutch have partially removed themselves. I'll finish the job just to balance the thing out. I don't see what purpose they serve, but I haven't started dicing them up yet either. It appears to just be cast aluminum so removing shouldn't cause problems??

To everyone else, thanks for your replies. I'll get some Brown Dog motor mounts. I wanted to get them 1 1/2 years ago when I did a bunch of stuff but decided to go cheap because of all the other expenses at the time...I really should know better by now.:doh:

Last edited:
A bent transmission crossmember can also cause this.

Checked this one. Crossmember is good.

Can't be much else unless you mounted the radiator wrong (very difficult to do, it only goes in one way really) or your fan blades are bent forward or something.

Checked this too! I wanted to make sure I didn't do something stupid. I succeeded this time anyway! Fan is not bent, BTW. The fan clutch is what made contact with the radiator support and clearance from the blades is way good.

I bet you its the transmission mounts, not the motor mounts. Mine was doing this too my last trip out, and my Brown Dog mounts are new and in good condition. Just replaced the tranny mount, it was in rough condition.

I would love a nice tranny mount from Brown Dog.

check the trans mount, if it tears your motor will twist forward as the torque is applied and the trans lifts from the crossmember in the rear. even if the motor mounts are still good (they become the pivot point). This would explain why it started in 4 low, because of the extra load on the driveline.

I'll take a closer look at it. It looked good upon inspection but disassembly will verify this once and for all. This really seems like what happened. I didn't realize that the motor would move forward so much in the motor mounts with a torn transmission mount. Good to know. If it's baked, does anyone have a suggestion for a suitable replacement? This one only lasted 1.5 years with 90% of use from daily driving. I'd love to get a bombproof replacement to match the Brown Dog mounts. Off to the internet for some research! Hopefully someone here will have some first hand experience to share.

I bet you its the transmission mounts, not the motor mounts. Mine was doing this too my last trip out, and my Brown Dog mounts are new and in good condition. Just replaced the tranny mount, it was in rough condition.

I would love a nice tranny mount from Brown Dog.

Well I know what I'll be doing on my days off then. Even though it appears fine, it's got to be torn and just not visible I guess.

x2 on the Brown Dog transmission mount. I'll see what I can find for a better replacement that's available.

A quick search turned up a polyurethane mount from Daystar for $50...that's it. Any thumbs up or down for these?

BTW, the current mount is an Omix-Ada that is 1.5 years old.

It's a stock fan clutch. The tabs on the fan clutch have partially removed themselves. I'll finish the job just to balance the thing out. I don't see what purpose they serve, but I haven't started dicing them up yet either. It appears to just be cast aluminum so removing shouldn't cause problems??

Just grab them with a pair of pliers and twist... they pop right off. :cheers:

As others have pointed out, possibly motor mount/transmission mount.

I have the CSF as well and recently had to replace my stock fan clutch. The stock clutch was a bit smaller than the replacement. I don't think I removed those tabs completely, can't remember that. However I do remember having to push use a pry bar on the passenger motor mount to get the engine moved slightly so it would clear the studs and radiator.

Also, on the hole in the radiator. I doubt its trash. I did that once and a radiator shop fixed it for cheap.

Yeah, I've fixed those in a campsite with a blowtorch and some plumbing solder+flux before, it's not that bad. Came out pretty ghetto because it was my first try at it and they had smeared silicone all over it already, I did a lot more practicing on my old radiator when I got home and could probably make it look real nice now.

This is why I tell people to use copper/brass radiators - can't solder aluminum, and it's harder to find someone who knows how to TIG weld or braze than it is to find someone who can solder.

Yeah, I've fixed those in a campsite with a blowtorch and some plumbing solder+flux before, it's not that bad.

I think I may give it a try unless the radiator shop will do it very cheap. I guess it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it's sealed well.

Brown Dog motor mounts and Daystar poly transmission mount are on the way.

Back