• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rugged ridge steering??

WheelinJR said:
yes, thank you mister technical man :worship:

regardless though, what I was referring to is the fact that the tie rod is solid from knuckle to knuckle. thats the goodness I want.

Isn't the ZJ tie rod solid also? Just checkin', might use this in the meantime while saving for JCR

after running this setup for a few months, I can tell you that I will be switching over to a crossover setup as soon as fund allow.

while there is nothing wrong with the rugged ridge steering, i have just come to the conclusion that I dislike the inverted-T steering setup. i am getting more 'roll' than I would like.....and even though I have not added any spacers yet, I still think I would prefer to go back to a crossover setup on this rig.

IntrepidXJ said:
after running this setup for a few months, I can tell you that I will be switching over to a crossover setup as soon as fund allow.

while there is nothing wrong with the rugged ridge steering, i have just come to the conclusion that I dislike the inverted-T steering setup. i am getting more 'roll' than I would like.....and even though I have not added any spacers yet, I still think I would prefer to go back to a crossover setup on this rig.

This is a concern of mine also. I am debating weather to go JCR or crossover so I will not have any "slop" or "roll". However, I have seen posts where supposedly JCR has pretty much eliminated the slop or roll

How much work is involved in going to a WJ or Tera knuckle, other than obvious drag link length changes and such?

I'm more thinking modifications to brakes and getting the knuckle actually installed.

WheelinJR said:
How much work is involved in going to a WJ or Tera knuckle, other than obvious drag link length changes and such?

i have the Tera knuckle on my other Jeep, and the installation is pretty simple. Just remove the knuckle (like you would if you were replacing ball joints) and reinstall the new one. Brakes stay the same with the Tera knuckle. The other main change is rasising the trackbar mount on the axle.

IntrepidXJ said:
i have the Tera knuckle on my other Jeep, and the installation is pretty simple. Just remove the knuckle (like you would if you were replacing ball joints) and reinstall the new one. Brakes stay the same with the Tera knuckle. The other main change is rasising the trackbar mount on the axle.

I wonder if the same goes for the WJ knuckle...This might be a future-ish upgrade for me.

IntrepidXJ said:

Easily handled with the JKS/OGS over axle bracket. Most existing trackbars can be modified to work, too.

ECKSJAY said:
Easily handled with the JKS/OGS over axle bracket. Most existing trackbars can be modified to work, too.

Good opportunity to go to a nice straight and parallel panhard too!

Probably be a fairly easy task on my axle, not having a passenger UCA mount and all...

la-kit004.jpg

ECKSJAY said:
Here's a gigantic picture of the JKS bracket installed. You're chopping the front of the stock trackbar mount off and putting this on using what's left. :)

I'm going to link the photo because it's so huge. :D

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/images/jksproducts/fab parts/jks950.jpg

So, this would require a new trackbar after doing this mod? Seems a new one would be required due to the different angle/length after mod, right?

2001XJ said:
So, this would require a new trackbar after doing this mod? Seems a new one would be required due to the different angle/length after mod, right?

Yeah, a couple posts before that one I mentioned that an existing aftermarket trackbar could be modified. I wouldn't even imagine attempting that with a stock bar though. ;)

Well after about a month and a half of F***n with the RR steering on a friends rig,it looks like Im going to have to eat this one.Put the donuts on all three TRE's and still get to much rolling.He's also been crying about the ground clearance.Im looking at the Tera knuckle now,as I dont want to deal with the mods needed for thw WJ set-up!

I have a little bit of roll but its not that bad. I am gonna make some of those nylon spacers to see if it helps.

Ok so...

Current backorder is 89 of these. No definite date, says 30-60 days.

Sidenote, I saw someone a while back posted the TRE part #'s but didn't see them. Does anyone know what they were? I can look those up too.

aparke4 said:
well i think we had the longest steering thread before the crash on this product - anyways mine is holding up great and the lock tite on the jam nuts is essential - other than that my tre that runs into the drop pitman arm is sitting at a not so great angle but it is ok (right at 7 inches of lift) - anyways thanks for all the help before we lost some of the info
Thats where the part #'s went!The problem is that 3 of the ends are off-the-shelf,but the pass side tie rod end had no#.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
Thats where the part #'s went!The problem is that 3 of the ends are off-the-shelf,but the pass side tie rod end had no#.

Regardless, it HAS to have a part number, it's gotta come from SOME vehicle, I highly doubt that the chinese would make a custom part for this cheap steering setup, seeing how it would outweigh the cost by a long shot. I am going to look through the MOOG and TRW books at work tonight and see what I can find.

Back