• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rowher Flats reopens

silverslk

NAXJA Forum User
Didn't see this on here but it was on my Bronco Forum.

Rowher Flat Off-Highway Vehicle Area Reopening
Popular Riding area near Santa Clarita was Burned in the '07 Buckweed Wildfire

ARCADIA, CA — November 6, 2009

Rowher Flat Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Recreation Area will be reopening this Saturday, November 7, 2009. The popular riding area is located in the Angeles National Forest off the 14 Freeway northeast of Santa Clarita.

Crews have been hard at work repairing and grooming roads throughout the area, which has been closed since the devastating Buckweed Fire in October of 2007. Virtually all of the 10,000 acre facility was burned in the fire. Although vegetation has returned to the area, full natural recovery of the region will not occur for many years.

An Adventure Pass is not needed for green or red-sticker vehicles, but is needed for other vehicles (including support and tow vehicles) parked in the OHV area. All motorcycles, 4-wheel-drive vehicles and other OHVs must have approved muffler systems and spark arresters.

To reach Rowher Flat OHV Area, take the Sierra Highway off-ramp from the 14 Freeway and travel north. Make a left turn on Rush Canyon Road. Overnight camping is allowed, although there are no developed campground facilities, including potable water.

Angeles National Forest has a designated OHV route system. To aid in the protection of native flora and fauna, riders are required to stay on designated routes, which are signed by type of use and level of difficulty. Trails within Rowher Flat generally require intermediate to advanced riding skills. Novice riders should consider staying on flat areas.

For more information about Rowher Flat OHV Area, please call the Santa Clara-Mojave Rivers Ranger District at (661) 296-9710. For information on other OHV recreation opportunities on the Angeles National Forest, please visit: www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreation/ohv.

For information about environmental stewardship on public lands, including responsible riding, visit www.treadlightly.org.

Cool. I'd be interested in running Rowher this winter.

Rowher was closed due to fire rehab. I believe some of it may still be closed.

I haven't been there in years. We used to go out there for midnight runs all the time. The back side can be hairy in the rain too :)

I will run up there when I get my junk wheelable again.

Back