• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rescue Tellico Coalition Files Lawsuit Against U.S. Forest Service

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Last edited:
I have sent and sent and sent, and there are no results for the money I have sent, and we have nothing to show for our efforts. People have asked where their money has gone, and nobody can say. Guys I hate to say it, but Tellico is a lost cause. I want it to be open again just as bad as any of you, but its not going to happen. Its done, its over, we lost, the forrest service won.

Until somebody can show me where my money went and can show some progress, I will not be giving them any more of my hard earned money so they (whoever ended up with the money) can buy cocktails and play golf. I hate to say it, but Im done with it.

I have sent and sent and sent, and there are no results for the money I have sent, and we have nothing to show for our efforts. People have asked where their money has gone, and nobody can say. Guys I hate to say it, but Tellico is a lost cause. I want it to be open again just as bad as any of you, but its not going to happen. Its done, its over, we lost, the forrest service won.

Until somebody can show me where my money went and can show some progress, I will not be giving them any more of my hard earned money so they (whoever ended up with the money) can buy cocktails and play golf. I hate to say it, but Im done with it.

You obvously did not read anything. There was a lawsuit filed that is what has happened. Soomething is being done.

I just looked at the links posted. But Im just saying, there was never a lawsuit that they claimed they were filing... at least from what I have read on Pirate it didn't. And if it did, nothing came from it. Apparently they just now filed suit. The forest service claims they are going to "obliterate" the trails. As much as I don't want it to happen, I'd bet you anything that it remains closed forever. If by some fat chance it did open, it would probably only be trail 4. Just to say they opened it. The good stuff would still be closed.

I would encourage people to donate the money of they have not already, but Im done. I donated over $100 and I saw no results. I work too hard for my money to just throw it away like that.

By the way Glenn, that link doesn't work???

Last edited:
It worked earlier when I DL the pdf. Try this one:

http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/Complaint_FILED_05-18-10.pdf

Unfortunately you might be right Tyler but if they are able to keep it closed with the argument they used it could be used to close any park public or private that has water on or near it. IIRC WITC was closed recently for water quality issues.

From my understanding, they were required to file a notice of intent, and be given some form of clearance to actually file suit in an effort to prevent "nuisance" lawsuits (and further restrict citizen action)

Basically the NOI establishes the plaintiffs ability to conduct the suit; qualified attorneys, financial means. I do not believe it relies on any case merit. (I am not a lawyer)

That being said, I think TW is correct, Tellico is most likely gone forever, the bid notices being circulated are proof the FS is trying to make the entire point moot before any legal action can be taken.

Exactly. They intend to destroy the trails using whatever means necessary so that even if we did win, there will be no trails left to "save." If water quality was an issue, they wouldn't even think about bringing in heavy equipment b/c that's just gonna tear up the ground and cause even more silt.

I really do hope we win, and that it can be saved, but the forest service has been working to close the place for a long time, and little by little they have gotten what they wanted. I have just pretty much lost all hope b/c I have seen it coming for a long time, and I personally feel like we are too late at this point, especially once demolition begins. At that point its over. Still gonna keep my fingers crossed though.

you know i have always been an optimist but this is a perfect ex. of the government doing what they please with no regard to the constituency. Tyler is right, if water quality was an issue then they wouldnt be bringing in millions of dollars in heavy equipment to demolish the trails, that in itself is more damaging than ohv use. Its not about fish either, ive done numerous reports and cited credible published studies in academic databases that state that the FOREST SERVICES stocking of alien species (rainbow trout) is THE major contributing factor in the competing for recources and decline of native fish species (the "brook trout" that everyone has their panties in a wad over)..... i guess my point is the proof of the truth is out there but the big fat united states of america is so fargone and doesnt want to go through the trouble to manage it that they will do whats easiest for them and that is ignore YOU the american that signs their gauranteed paycheck...... its sick to think about it but its true

i agree, i hope the lawsuit wins, i hope for once justice and the rights of americans to public land prove to be true.... but its happened before with different things and im afraid that the gov will do what they want and law be damned...... if this were a hundred years ago they would have a revolution on their hands (between this sh** and healthcare and stimulus aka hemorraging of the hardworking americans money), but in a world of complacence they really dont have anything to fear from their people any more ;) thats what scares me

..... rant off, sorry but thats been stewing for awhile, i try not to post in any tellico threads but ive had a guinness or two tonight and its making me boil to read about this stuff

Last edited:
I think we need to maintain an open mind about this. There is fixing to be a lot of money and effort thrown into supporting this lawsuit by United, Southern, BRC and others to try to save Tellico. If Tellico closes, it will be used as a benchmark to help close other parks.

As off-hwy enthusiasts, we need this to succeed.

you know i have always been an optimist but this is a perfect ex. of the government doing what they please with no regard to the constituency. Tyler is right, if water quality was an issue then they wouldnt be bringing in millions of dollars in heavy equipment to demolish the trails, that in itself is more damaging than ohv use. Its not about fish either, ive done numerous reports and cited credible published studies in academic databases that state that the FOREST SERVICES stocking of alien species (rainbow trout) is THE major contributing factor in the competing for recources and decline of native fish species (the "brook trout" that everyone has their panties in a wad over)..... i guess my point is the proof of the truth is out there but the big fat united states of america is so fargone and doesnt want to go through the trouble to manage it that they will do whats easiest for them and that is ignore YOU the american that signs their gauranteed paycheck...... its sick to think about it but its true

i agree, i hope the lawsuit wins, i hope for once justice and the rights of americans to public land prove to be true.... but its happened before with different things and im afraid that the gov will do what they want and law be damned...... if this were a hundred years ago they would have a revolution on their hands (between this sh** and healthcare and stimulus aka hemorraging of the hardworking americans money), but in a world of complacence they really dont have anything to fear from their people any more ;) thats what scares me

..... rant off, sorry but thats been stewing for awhile, i try not to post in any tellico threads but ive had a guinness or two tonight and its making me boil to read about this stuff

x2

Back