• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Catalytic Converter on 00-01?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... so I've had my 2001 XJ 4.0 Auto 4x4 for about 3 months now... and have been going thru and fixing replacing bits and pieces.

Next issue is the P0432 code I'm getting. I've replaced the Bank 2 After Cat O2 Sensor and the code comes back. Looks like I may need to now replace the "Y" Catalytic Converters. Has anyone done this and if so, where did you get the parts and how much $$?

Pics or a how-to link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have the same issue. Just popped up last night on the way to work. P0432.

Reviving this one... did you ever get your issue resolved? I'm hopefully going to be getting mine done soon. Been so long I've almost just got used to the check engine light being on all the time. I'll pull codes about each week and just make sure it's nothing else and then move along... :\

Pretty much what i'm doing now, just pullin the code then erasing it. Same code over and over. Just never had the time to figure it out.

Wonder what my O2s would do if I Pulled the Pre-Cats off, hollowed them out and reinstalled... Still have my main catalytic converter & plan on keeping that for sure. Hmmm

I've got a buddy with an 01 with similar issues. It ended up being 2 vaccum leaks. One was on the side of the manifold at a rubber boot that kept falling off due to being brittle and the other was the hood cable rubbed thru the line from the manifold to the valve cover. Fixed both about 6 months ago and its good to go with 180k on it now.

Wonder what my O2s would do if I Pulled the Pre-Cats off, hollowed them out and reinstalled... Still have my main catalytic converter & plan on keeping that for sure. Hmmm
Most likely be fine, pre cats are just some BS to make more money.
I know that quite a few dakota guys would swap in the non-pre cat downpipes into their trucks. As some of them had and some did not.

The mini-cats are monitored by the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors. Removing the guts will set off a CEL unless downstream simulators are used. Doubt if this is legal for a licensed vehicle.
http://montanafab.com/products/

Make sure the mini-cats are bad. Use a infrared thermometer to check the inlet and outlet temperatures on both cats. The inlets should be cooler than the outlets, if the cats are working.

Thanks for all the comments. I do appreciate it very much!!

I assumed gutting the pre-cats would set off the CEL w/out any modifications to the computer or using some type of simulators. Used these a LOT when modifying Mustangs using an "off-road" X or H pipes. :)

It's a logical assumption, but I've seen instances where downstream o2 sensors don't throw a CEL when catless.

Just a suggestion: I had the same problem last year. I hooked a laptop scanner, OBDPro. It showed both pre- and post-sensors reading very rich, meaning the cat was getting more emissions than it could handle. I ran a few tanks with fuel cleaner, I think it was Lucas, and it cleared up. All I can think is that an injector was clogged and not fully closing, letting in fuel. I now run a can of Lucas every couple of few months. Its been over a year and the code hasn't come back and my scans show my cats are working fine.

Back