• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter Guard - Stinky Fab Crossmember

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
I had my catalytic converter stolen off my Toyota pickup a few months back. I thought it was no big deal until I recognized Colorado went to CARB requirements in 2021. This has now made replacing catalytic converters extremely expensive.

With that...a guard was in order for my Jeep. I ordered the Stinky Fab Crossmember. I already needed to make a T-case skid, and this had a solid one built in giving a great base for the catalytic guard to mount to.

Google Drive Link to photos of Catalytic guard

I used some leftover OEM M10 sheet metal style captive nuts to mount it to the skid/crossmember (from stock XJ bumper removal I believe), and installed nutserts in the frame. It was meant to be a quick hack job to give me some theft protection, but it actually turned out nicer than I imagined with some rough cardboard cutouts. I just thought I'd pass on this idea, as cat theft is extremely prevalent now. Denver police even just issued a warning to not approach anyone that you may catch stealing yours.

Armed Catalytic Converter Thefts

I made one from SS that actually covers the cat after someone stole hers!

One of the downfalls of owning a lifted vechile ez access to your Cadillac converter.

Nice looking job. My only concern would be that it may trap heat. Time will tell. I would pay attention to that section of floor on long drives.

I would respond to the Denver police that they should not stand between me and a thief. I may have trouble distinguishing just who is who in such a situation.

Anak said:
Nice looking job. My only concern would be that it may trap heat. Time will tell. I would pay attention to that section of floor on long drives.

That was definitely a thought/concern of mine, and the main reason I kept the bottom open instead of tubbing it out on the bottom (aside from also not wanting to spend that much time on it). There really should be plenty of air flow though, so it's less of a concern than it was when I was first thinking about it. On the "pay attention" list though.

Anak said:
I would respond to the Denver police that they should not stand between me and a thief. I may have trouble distinguishing just who is who in such a situation.

I think you meant the police might have trouble distinguishing between their tazer and gun, right?

RCP Phx said:
I made one from SS that actually covers the cat

Stainless? I tried doing a few quick searches to see if you posted this. I'm interested in seeing it.

No, it was my sisters Honda Passport!

Back