• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing steering wheel with airbag????????

XJpoopbrown said:
whats there price range run?? how much did you endup spending on your setup??

The wheel 4 years ago is still the same price $139. Can't remember the hub price, but if i remember correctly the whole shebang was around $250, including shipping. It was more for me as the currency exchange rate at the time was like .20 cents on the dollar.
It's held up great and would i do it again...YES! i love it. i hated that dodge caravan looking wheel as well as the airbag.

For the question as to the 97, i have no experience with that so i can only say this; My airbag was mechanical, no electrical components whatsoever. When i took my wheel and airbag out, that's it, no trace of ever having an airbag. Also, it was the only airbag in the Jeep. It was my choice not to run one.
With an electrical airbag system i have no idea what's left over, and/or what the ramifications would be. HTH -B

Yeah I hate the steering wheel in my 96 and loved the leather wrapped one in my 88, 92, and 94, so it's gonna come out sometime. Is the hub the same size as the earlier years?

gradon said:
Yeah I hate the steering wheel in my 96 and loved the leather wrapped one in my 88, 92, and 94, so it's gonna come out sometime. Is the hub the same size as the earlier years?

Nope. You need to use the Lecarra one, from the link above. The other older hub was a GM column i think.

So my brother is home from the GULF for a couple weeks and brought me this:
P5080015.jpg

It is a leather wrapped MOMO steering wheel with the Jeep horn button--It came off a Euro XJ that he stripped when he was stationed in the UK. He modded the clock spring/horn ground ring contact so the horn still works. The turn signal stalk is too close to the wheel so my knuckles will hit when I turn, but I'll slot the two holes and move it back once I find out where I can buy a torx bit with a hole in the middle(stupid nipple).
P5080012.jpg

P5080007.jpg

P5080010.jpg

Last edited:
gradon said:
once I find out where I can buy a torx bit with a hole in the middle(stupid nipple).

Torx screws with the little stud in the center ("tamperproof")? I got a set of those bits with a cheap Husky ratcheting screwdriver at Home Despot. Before that, I had picked some up from the SnapOn guy when I worked at a body shop. I believe I've seen them elsewhere as well. You can, if you're careful, modify the screw head, or better yet, a regular torx bit. Useful for tampering with all sorts of things you shouldn't tamper with.

Nice wheel.

edit- doh, old thread

No prob--I still need to move the turn signal stalk back and still haven't looked for that torx bit with a hole in it to get it off in order to slot it(I've dealt with the left knuckles hitting it). My brother removed the clock spring but retained the horn-ground, so I have to manually cancel it. I want to yank another clockspring from the JY and see if my attempt can retain it.

Back