• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing carpet

Timber said:
I just ripped out my cargo-area carpet ('99), and there are four actual rubber plugs there. Not sure about the rest of the Jeep--haven't gotten "approval" for that yet.

Time to raid a '99 at the junkyard. My 89 has metal ones with 4 clip-on ears. Ones missing under the rear seat.

All total there are 6 plugs. 2 in front of front seats, 2 in fron of rear seats, and two small ones under the rear seat.

found these rubber ones in my '96

There's 2 under the front seats, 2 under the rear seat, 4 in the cargo area, and 2 down at the bottom of the rear fender wells.

Incidentally, all of them are the size of the "little" ones nevada found under the rear seat. 1.125" diameter. My '96 has factory plugs and seam sealer where the "large" plugs used to be.

Last edited:
i plan on herculining my floor but i dont have any floor pan plugs. If i just drill holes in the floor, can i just plug it with some sort of rubber stopper?

Having thoroughly flooded the interior of my Jeep last year, here is what I did.

First of all the 2 drain plugs in the rear cargo area nearest to the hatch are worthless. Why they put them there is beyond me. I removed those two and patched the holes. I then drilled new holes in the driver and passenger footwells for these 2 plugs (in an out of way spot of course). Then I drilled 2 smaller 1/2" holes in the small cargo space under the rear bench seat. Trust me, a lot of water collects there, or "migrates" to that area after you flood the interior. I used 1/2" "bailor" plugs from WalMart found in the boating supply isle.

The interior floor was then Herculined and carpet was put back but trimmed into smaller sections that could be removed next time without having to take out the seats or center console, etc.

I also remove the carpet from my 92xj and found water and rust. DOH. Once I cleaned and sanded I went with the herculiner. Found it a pepboys for 49.95 (the Kit). Very easy to do. Over all I like the way it came out.

WARNING - expect Herculiner to outgas for at least a month - and those fumes can KNOCK YOU OUT.

If possible, let the stuff cure in the garage, and then drive something else for a month or so while the vehicle "finish cures" in the sunlight. Leave the windows down about 2" so it can vent, and take the time to open the doors (probably every other day or so) and direct a fan into it to "change the air."

I haven't done this yet, but I've talked to people who have, and it's a very valid concern...

5-90

I have it on good authority from a forumite that you do not want to get roll-on products on your skin. Anywhere.

Be careful out there.

TiRod said:
I have it on good authority from a forumite that you do not want to get roll-on products on your skin. Anywhere.

Be careful out there.
the word "hootus" comes to mind.

TiRod said:

Be careful out there.

"I got Herculiner on my hootus!"

Granted, it was on a Ford Exploder board (IIRC,) and we all know how those Ford guys are...

I don't trust a Ford I didn't build.

5-90

TiRod said:

Be careful out there.
I got Herculiner on my hands when I did the interior of my XJ, and it wasn't so bad. The rubber particles come off easily, but the paint stains your hands black. I washed and washed and washed to no avail. But it actually comes off fairly easily if you dunk your hands with acetone and thoroughlyscrub it. (Not that I'd recommend scrubbing your hootus with acetone :shocked: ).

Back