• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reloading and 'lead-free' primers . . .

For metallic cartridges, I lreally like my old Rock Chucker. It's open enough to handle full-length rifle cartrdiges (I've had buddies over loading 7m/m Mag and some of the big H&H jobs;) and, while it's a single-stage from the factory, it can be upgraded with a turret kit to go progressive later. I just don't load enough for the upgrade to be worthwhile to me (and most of what I've been loading is target rounds anyhow. I load more for quality control than anything else - plinking ammo is MILSURP.)

I also stand corrected on the steel shot vs lead shotgun ammo, appears that mec offers a specific steel shot loader. Wonder if steel and bismith and lead require three different loaders. I'm probably going to go with the lower priced mec jr for the 12ga, I don't hunt birds with a shotgun or waterfowl, just clays :D

Just out of curiosity, how does 5-90 know everything about anything and anything about everything? It seems that every post I look at has him replying with something very knowlegable. And every post is about something entirely different.

Just out of curiosity, how does 5-90 know everything about anything and anything about everything? It seems that every post I look at has him replying with something very knowlegable. And every post is about something entirely different.

Comes from leading a widely varied life, a passion for learning, and a broad range of interests.

I don't know everything about everything, but I know something about almost everything (it seems,) and I've got a pretty good idea where to find the rest. Saves time.

Thanks, I think you have been able to answer everybody's questions, and it does save time. Thanks for sharing the knowlege.

..., Have any recommendation for a single stage press, what company makes a good press for the money?
Look at Dillon Precision.
http://www.dillonprecision.com
Dillon doesn't make a single stage press. Look over the specs on the RL 550 presses.
They also used to market a turret press called the AT-500 that was pretty inexpensive, and fully upgradable to -550 specs, but I don't see it on their web site.

They are on the expensive side, but Mike Dillon is a straight up guy, the company knows how to do business, and their customer support is top notch. They have a "no BS" warranty that you can't beat (you break it, they replace it, no questions asked)

Are you comp shooting with your shotgun? Those are the ONLY guys I know who benefit from loading their own shotshells...FWIW

Surprisingly it still works out to be cheaper if you reload than buy in the store.

I have a box of 25 shot shell federal ammunition target load 1-1/8 oz shot 8 shot and it cost me 6.99 to make it. Now these shells arn't good shells. But even if i was buying new shells from the store it still works out to be cheaper.

Thanks a lot for the info guys, now its time for me to hit the webpages to do some researching :)

Surprisingly it still works out to be cheaper if you reload than buy in the store.

I have a box of 25 shot shell federal ammunition target load 1-1/8 oz shot 8 shot and it cost me 6.99 to make it. Now these shells arn't good shells. But even if i was buying new shells from the store it still works out to be cheaper.

Thanks a lot for the info guys, now its time for me to hit the webpages to do some researching :)

Wow that must really stink. My smooth hull Gold Cup Federal trap loads aren't even $6.99 for 25 on the shelf of the most expensive place in town...

Like I said, it doesn't always work for everyone. :)

I reload about 10,000 rounds of .45 per year and about 4,000 .44 mag and specials per year as well as maybe 2,000 .38's, I've pretty much just used CCI since 73 when I started. In all that time I have had [knock on wood] -0- misfires. I think the main reason I have not used any other brand is my Speer and Nosler manuals don't list any others. Plus I have never walked into a store in the NE that had any other brands in the 1,000 primer boxes. Though looking at my shelf I do see a 1000 primer box of Winchester WLR rifle primers.

I've really only had problems with their rifle primers, 6.5x55 (which I'm using Winchester and Federal brass for, not the 'real' Lapua stuff) and .30-06. I had a brick of the rifle primers that I had to shoot up in practice because I didn't trust them for hunting ammo. I'd get a good 20% failure rate on the first try, and about half of those wouldn't fire with successive attempts either. American brass is not well thought of for the Swede Mauser, but the primer pockets should NOT be the problem, it's the same pocket as everything else.

I've been wanting to try some Wolf primers, I wish I could buy a few hundred of them to test before I got a ton of them. The only reason to try them is because they are about 5 years behind the rest in price.

As a side note- if you are loading for the AR-15/M-16 you want the hardest primer you can get. The military primers are VERY hard to prevent slam-fires. Frequently when you eject an unfired round from the chamber of an AR there will be a slight dent in the primer. I think CCI makes the military primers.... ????

Yup, like Ecksjay that's just not worth it here, we can buy shotshells for considerably less. On run-of-the-mill birdshot we can save about $0.50/box, which is not worth the time. On higher end stuff we can save quite a bit more, even on tungsten shot we can load them for about $7.00/box compared to about $15/box at the store. We have the equipment to do shotshells, but I've actually never done them. Still not worth it given the amount of specialty and hunting ammo we shoot.

scw, I have a feeling you will be getting some pm's from me in the near future since I know you do a TON of brass reloading. So i will be picking your brain if you don't mind that is??

I really hope my shoulder gets better, I wanna go shoot the new Rem 700 I just got at the range but not with this shoulder im not

Sure, you should keep Rich on your short list as he's pretty local to you as well- and he's been doing this since before my folks even got that twinkle in their eyes.....

Not that you're an old codger or anything Rich.. LOL

ahh I just noticed Rich is in PA thats good news to know!
Thanks a lot SCW I will keep that in mind. I need to purchase a scope for the new Rem 700 I just picked up and purchase my new Nikon D80 camera and after that I will be looking for presses and then the questions will come flowing.

M

Back