• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Registration RANT!

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
Car tag Registration increase. Why do we have laws if law enforcement aren’t going to enforce them? So here’s what I’m talking about. They are trying to pass the increase of registration to help cover the cost of lack of money they have for roads and bridges in the state of Colorado. The argument is that they aren’t charging enough to cover the cost of repairs needed in Colorado. I have a few problems with this. Who audits the DOT DMV or whatever whoever controls the money for roads and bridges repair account funds for that? They claim they aren’t charging enough. My thoughts are they aren’t going after the people that owe on back tags. I see cars all the time with tags dating back up to six years. Ya they had 03 stickers on the plates and a cop car right behind them at a intersection. I got the cops attention and he rolled down his window at which point I told him that cars tags were a bit out of date. He gave me the head nod like thanks and I’m guessing was looking up the plate # on the car. At that point the car turned left and the cop at the next intersection went right? He never pulled him over. WTF? Say at 6 years the cost was 80 bucks for tags that’s 480 bucks out of the state budget for road work. Sure just one person, but if you take all the people that I see on a daily basis with out of date tags you’re looking at in the thousands $$$$ of lost money. So who do they go after instead of the people that owe they go after the people that pay, and to up it on us even. I know the system in Weld county isn’t the best at getting those renewal notices out because Jess and I when we got our new house did the whole change of address everywhere we could think of including the DMV and CO/Weld county stuff on line or in person together. The year after we moved in she got her tag to renew and I didn’t. I spaced it out and went 4 months and got my a$$ ripped by a cop for 4 months yet 6 years is ok WTF?

I hear ya, I see those expired tags all the time and wonder how they get away with it... Maybe Yella can shed some light on it.

Back in the day I was going to be a cop, and at times still wish I would have gone that rout to try and make a difference. Now I don’t want to offend or piss off any law enforcement people here the good LEO’s, but my experience up north in the program and ride along’s with Greeley, Ft. Collins and weld county sheriff’s officers well SUCKED. Really got the feeling that you do just enough to get by to keep your job and not rock the boat on either doing too much work or being too gun ho about your job to make others look bad. I’m one of those if you’re going to do something go all out and do it right as best you can. It was always a struggle listening to the county guys say ya that’s a city deal let them deal with it, and the city folk say o let the county guys deal with it. I don’t want to say that happens all over the place, but even the guys I cops/friends I play hockey with kind of have that attitude about a lot of stuff. Well it’s not worth it to pull them over due to the paper work, or the lack of a fine per the offence that’s being committed isn’t worth taking care of. I would like to think that if I’m a cop then I’m paying tax’s and would have a car that needs tags so then I would have to pay into the system, and if they wanted to raise the fees then I would be ticked off enough to go out and start pulling people over for it, so we don’t get stuck paying for these increases.

So I just did a walk through in our parking lot at the shop here and found 3 cars with out of date tags only by a few months.

My XJ expired July of last year. Whoops, good thing its stored in the garage............:jester:

Now see I'd like to know what the law on that is. I know or think at some point all cars have to be registerd and insured if on the streets even if not in use, but what is required to keep it registered. What happens if you don't drive it for a few years and then go to update your tags and they want like 2 years of back fees for not keeping it up dated.
Also if your rebuilding a car over a few years and go to register it? do they hit you for all those years. Is it different per state and county?

Same thing, I only DD my Audi and Douglas never sent me a renewal. It slipped my mind until the old apartment complex wanted to tow it.

Apartment nazi people man ok I would have narked on you too.:gag:

Also, yeah, when I was moving it from the old garage to the new garage; I went under the cover of darkness. And I was still freaked that a cop was gonna tag me for it. Guess I shouldn't have been so worried.

:nono:

Now see I'd like to know what the law on that is. I know or think at some point all cars have to be registerd and insured if on the streets even if not in use, but what is required to keep it registered. What happens if you don't drive it for a few years and then go to update your tags and they want like 2 years of back fees for not keeping it up dated.
Also if your rebuilding a car over a few years and go to register it? do they hit you for all those years. Is it different per state and county?

Apartment nazi people man ok I would have narked on you too.:gag:

:nono:

Which is fine, I wasn't intentionally leaving it expired. And as soon as the maintenance guy by me gave me a heads up, I moved it into the garage. I'd of narked on me too. As far as I know they will charge you back fees for the time inbetween. But I do not know this for sure, I only assumed. Being that I do not drive it, it will have to be emissioned this year, is currently running rich, and the probable back fees; my motivation to renew has been zero.

O great it passed.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=110636&catid=188

The Colorado House has approved a plan that would raise car registration fees to pay for road and bridge repairs.

Under a bill approved Wednesday, owners of cars and SUVs would pay an extra $32 the first year, $36.50 the second year and $41 the third year. The bill now goes to the Senate to review House amendments.

Littleton Democratic Rep. Joe Rice says the bill will protect as many as 8,000 jobs over the next year and create tens of thousands of new jobs.

Rice said the bill would also enable the state to repair and rebuild 126 dangerous bridges and rutted roads.

He said the roads are crumbling because they aren't being kept up and the state cannot afford to count on any federal stimulus funds, derisively called "Obamabucks" by Republicans, because they are one-time funds and the state will still have to find ways to pay for transportation long after that money is gone.

Rep. Frank McNulty, R-Highlands Ranch, said the plan by Gov. Bill Ritter and fellow Democrats imposes too great a burden on lower-income people to pay for expenses the state should already be covering.

owners of cars and SUVs would pay an extra $32 the first year, $36.50 the second year and $41 the third year

so if you have a truck van you don't pay????

Same thing, I only DD my Audi and Douglas never sent me a renewal. It slipped my mind until the old apartment complex wanted to tow it.

Not to be a prick, but is it not your responsibility to know when you need to register your vehicle.

I just did my jeep and I never got any thing in the mail to tell me to do it.

My beef, all the twisted guard rails.

Sure, the State tries to build new roads (ala 470) where people don't want them, and the State can't maintain the roads we have. That's just politics here in the TABOR State.

I'd like to know why mangled guard rails are not replaced. I see one and think: "That must have hurt!" By the damage you would think the vehicle had to be towed off the guard rail. By law that vehicle is required to have insurance. No insurance? Oh my! Your shiat is in the wind, and your paycheck belongs to the State.

Is the State not billing for this property damage? If they are, where is the money? Where are my shiny-spankin-new SAFE guard rails?

:rantoff:

It is called mismanagement of funds/shady book keeping!!! Do not think for one minute the State does not have enough money to maintain the infrastructure of our state!! They do, they just choose not to use it wisely!! They put off maintainance when it is minor and whine about funds when it is major!! There is also those projects the State bids on that goes way over budget because the Contractor milks the system!! Or the project that is designed with flaws that need repair shortly after completion! Then there is the money that should be used for maintaining the State infrastructure that goes for someones Christmas bonus or new Porche!! It is called Fraud, Waste & Abuse and we end up paying for it all!! Sad but true, it is the way of our great nation!! The poor stay poor keeping the rich RICH!! The old make war and the young die!! :patriot:

My beef, all the twisted guard rails.

Sure, the State tries to build new roads (ala 470) where people don't want them, and the State can't maintain the roads we have. That's just politics here in the TABOR State.

I'd like to know why mangled guard rails are not replaced. I see one and think: "That must have hurt!" By the damage you would think the vehicle had to be towed off the guard rail. By law that vehicle is required to have insurance. No insurance? Oh my! Your shiat is in the wind, and your paycheck belongs to the State.

Is the State not billing for this property damage? If they are, where is the money? Where are my shiny-spankin-new SAFE guard rails?

:rantoff:

Just think of them as being broken in.

I drove the mother in law to DIA today, all the way there along 70, I don't think there is a straight section for more than 10 feet.

Back