• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regear Cost?

I've been quoted anywhere from $150 to $500 per axle for labor only on Gear installs.

RCP Phx said:
Bearings are a must on a new install.Gears are not something you can learn from a book.It takes alot of experience to do them.Even more important is the amount of specialized tools for the job(2 torque wrenchs,dial indicator,bearing puller,press,micrometer,etc.

I did a 4.88 and ARB instal on my D30 and D44, only special tools I had were a dial indicator for checking backlash and a set of callipers for doing shim calculations. A bearing puller would have been nice, but if you get a rebuild kit with new bearings, and you calculate out the shimming right, you shouldn't need to pull the new ones off after getting em on there, and the old ones you can total if you need to while getting them off.

Anyway, lots of patients, good mechanical inclination and a buddy thats done it before, and you've got it made :thumbup: Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying anyone should run out and attempt a gear instal, it takes some know how.

:anon:

ARB_021.jpg

Roger that Phat.

I self-installed a used set of 4.10's into my Bronco II last year in my driveway. I left the old bearings and spider gears in there. The only special tool I EVER used was a vernier caliper to measure the thickness of the factory shims. 6-states sold me a new shim pack. It wasn't very expensive if I recall correctly.
Because the original carrier was reused along with the original bearings, I just kept the total thickness of the new shims (including both sides) the same as the total thickness of the old shims. Then used some grease to see where the pinion gear was meshing with the ring gear. Played around with it for an hour or two, then drove it. Had a little vibration so I tightened the carrier bearings a tad (more shims). Worked great ever since.
Not very scientific, but very cheap.

By the way kids, don't try this at home....... it may not work so well for everybody!

Local drivetrain shop did mine...D-30/D-35...4.88's complete job including gears, all bearings, seals, etc....$1,300.00 and i got a warranty!!! Sounded expensive after looking at the prices for gears in the magazines..but after totaling the prices for everything including the special tools needed..it was a bargain..plus the drivetrain guys have to make a living, and you don't just plunk parts in place either...i know i don't give away my labor...just a thought...

I got a quote for 4.10's and lockrights front/rear for a total of $1500 - I didn't have the $$$$$ so I had to postpone the work, but this was only about 2 or 3 months ago.

check out four wheel unlimited its like down the street on sepulveda and ask for i think his name is mike the head mechanic. and he gives good deals not sure for the final price but, i got quoted about 150-175 per axel out the door with precision gears install on my 8.25 and d30 reverse rotation. And 4 wheel parts can get precision gears for about (i paid) $475 after tax for front and back including master install kits, talk to brian he is a nice guy and works with you.

I bought new 4.56's for my 8.25 in the classifieds on here for $65 shipped. Then i found some 4.56's for my 30 on ebay for 120 shipped. Yukons. I got a carrier for the front for free. I work at Auto Zone so i got all the bearings and seals at 20% off. Add another $10 for shim kits and im sitting at under $300 for gears and install kits.
Word on the streets is there is a guy in oklahoma that will do my gears for $100 per axle. that would make my total regear cost about $500. :sunshine:

I wonder how many times the shop that is only charging $150-250/axle (lets see, that's 3-5 hrs labor @ a modest $50/hr for full tear down/clean and inspect/removal of old bearings on pinion and carrier for initial shim pack measurements/set-up of R&P depth-preload-backlash-carrier preload/finish assemble/re-assemble diff/fix all the broken and worn out stuff on the diff that you found when you took it apart) is willing to take apart and fine tune shims in order to get a great pattern and backlash and preload?? And how long/how many miles they are willing to warranty their set-up?

I know I won't let anything less than the best pattern/backlash/preload I can obtain out the door. I regularly have to rebuild diffs set up by "cheaper" shops. I know there are probably a few shops which charge little and do a great job, but they're the exception, not the rule.

A lot of shops which install gears aren't Warehouse/Distributors of gear sets, which means that they/we can't get a much better deal than the general public can, so don't expect to get the gears and set-up kits for internet prices, unless they're giving parts at cost...

Back