• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommended tall skinny mud terrain?

absolutely loved my 34x9.5 TSLs. if i had to do it again i would run them on 15x6 stock jeep steelies

2955509440098019726S500x500Q85.jpg

Looks like I'm getting those 34x9.5x15's next week. Would a 7 inch rim be okay?

I'd like to put them on soft 8's with a good amount of backspacing to help keep a wider stance

Did you have issues with it coming off the bead with 7 inch wide rims?

I'd suggest the narrow tires from SuperSwamper. I've seen them referred to as "special-service" tires before, too. http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1 34x9.5 A guy in my club runs them under a XJ, and I know a guy that runs them on a Range Rover. When it comes to mud, it's really hard to beat a Super Swamper.

I like them taller like a Q78 Swamper with 27/32" of tread and are 35.5" tall.

X2. I just sold my Qs when I won a set of SXs. Should have sold the gift certificate and kept the Qs. I liked the narrow tire alot more than the 36x1250s I ended up with.

Co-op's use to only be sold at Southern States in our area.

Are you guys talking about the Co-op Grip Spur tires? Bias?

We have them in TN. They only offer 4 sizes anymore.

700-15
L78-15
750-16
900-16

I have the measurements on them if anybody is interested.

The tread reminds you of the old school Buckshot mudder.

what are the advantages of running a skinny tire other than less rubbing?
============================================
CAN BE
Lighter
Easer to balance and stay balance
less rubbing but still good ground clearance.
less roll resistance.
better on wet roads (IMO)
Many SUV/truck can turn sharper without extensive mods/spacers.
More tire tuck without massive body trimming (sometimes)
The only real problem is what is a skinny tire and what is not.

X2. I just sold my Qs when I won a set of SXs. Should have sold the gift certificate and kept the Qs. I liked the narrow tire alot more than the 36x1250s I ended up with.

I was never really liked 12.50" tires on my XJ. They broke or wore out more parts and just sucked up a ton of power. They didn't drive as nice as a Q did either.

My MJ I'm building now will have Q's on it with a built '77 HP D44 and a 9" rear axle. My fenders would stuff a bigger tire but I decided to sell my HP D60 and my 14 bolt to pay some bills since my rig would have been to big for my trashed body to get in and out of and have to much axle weight.

I'm building it to stay low, ride decent, and be able to stuff the tires further then 31's would normally stuff while still being able to steer from lock to lock without rubbing..

Anyway I look at it it will run Q78's for sure.

With a narrow tire, what would the max height be on a true 3 inch lift with trimming and folding. Just seems like you might get an extra .5 inch or more in trade for width with the right backspacing.... If thats the case I'm sold!!!

Well with narrow tires you can keep your stock wheels, so 33's will fit and stuff easily. You might have to bumpstop the rear a little, but they will fit fine. I have 32's on 2" of lift with Moab's, and I could fit 33's easily.

I have ran the BFG MTs (old style non KM) in 33x9.5 - I bought a 'truckload' from an OG for cheap. They worked OK, not real cut or puncture-resistant though.

Also ran a set of (borrowed, thanks H & K) 32x9.50 Swamper TSL on 7" steelies. Ran all over Tellico in 2WD without issues until I ripped my steering box off the frame. I wouldn't blame the tires, mainly operator error and the frame's time to die.

I have wheeled with WNCMark who ran LTB 34x10.5" and those seemed to work well for him... mud & snow.

IMG_1577.jpg

Zoespre-kgraduationandwheelin039.jpg

34/10.5s and they have been great. wheels are allied 32 bolt beadlocks with 3.75" backspacing , I run 8oz equil bags in each tire and the tires ride really good down the road . the LTB's work great off road , one of the best "mud" tires I've ever owned

Most of us who live in Florida Flatland Areas where Sand, Mud, Swamp, Clay, or Wet Sandy Loam makes up the trails run with 33x12.50s on a wide 15x10 3.75 BS wheel.

When I lived up north, I never used anything wider than a 33x10.50s on 15x8 3.75 BS wheels. I think on the road and on hard pan trails, 10.50s follow track better, steer much easier, and do not put as much stress on the steering components.

In contrast to all the Jeepers around here, I am presently running on 32" skinnies on a stock rim. Unfortunately, I am always getting stranded sitting on my diffs and spinning tires as I am trying to follow the others down mud ladened trails.

I run 32" M/T Skinnies (9.50) on a stock rim (15x7). I bought them because of gas prices a while back. Great for MPGs but terrible in mud. I have no problems in sand, clay, or sandy loam. I would go back to 33x10.50s on a 15x8" 3.75 BS wheels but these still have a lot of tread left. With 10.50s and not 12.50s, I believe I would save on replacing steering parts. IMHO

anyone think i could get away with 31x9.5's with my 2" BB?
right now im running 235/75's and when these are done i plan to upgrade to something maybe taller and in the a/t flavorcuz its my daily driver.

OR do you think it looks good now and i should keep it where its at? this was before the flares were put back on, i'll go take a picture here pretty quick with the flares on it...
IMG_0986.jpg

better frontal view
IMG_0985.jpg

Back