• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuild

well i figured i either have to hone or bore a little but yes or maybe a small cam and head work so i guess two different prices . i should have been more clear. sorry

well i am in the middle of a close to stock rebuild, and can pull out some receipts when i get home tomorrow and let ya know what kind of costs i have come accross.

I checked before I built my stroker, and a good stock rebuild would only save me about 200bucks over what a reman would cost. The costs associated with each are very similiar.

I don't trust the remans. I used to buy Crate motors remanufactured for my camaro and they only fixed minor problems. You got the warrenty so when it went on you (which it did) they gave you another "rebuilt" not bad but I would rather rebuild myself. Esp with my jeep.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Does anyone know the relative costs of the machine work involved.

Its really hard to say. Alot of it depends on where you are (local prices), how much competition there is for biusness and most importantly, the quality of the work. You might want to stop in to a few garages or service stations and ask them for a recomendation on which engine shop to use. I would be wary of a shop that is alot cheaper than the rest.

I work in an automotive machine shop and have seen some real beautys that other "machinists" have worked on in the past.:explosion

~Alex

Haha good point. I've heard a few good things about a shop down the street. I think i'll wait another couple months but might aswell drop in and ask some questions.

I have seen problems with rebuilt v8's but never with a 4.0. My first Reman went 55k before I hydroed it and it had no indications of failing before that. it will cost around 1200-1500 if you are being frugal, more if you splurge. It cost as much to bore a block .01 over as it does to go .06

i am currently doing a close to stock rebuild on my 4.0
i had to spend about 1500 at my machinist
thats including; valve job, head milled, block decked+bored.030 over and boiled clean, cam+lifters, pistons, rings, crank cut.10, all bearings(installed cam bearings), new head bolts, and a full fel-pro gasket kit.
not sure if thats a lot, dont really have another shop to compare too.

$1500 is not that bad for that kinda work. I fugure a reman is just a mass-reproduced engine, but a rebuilt engine is one you KNOW has got top quailty parts and machine work. The best places to invest in machine work are the places you need work done. Like new bearings (bearing line hone) cam bearing/hone, quality moly piston rings, cylinder hone, deck the block and a head rebuild.
Maybe a little port polish or combustion chamber polishing would cut down on the carbon buildup, but that can get expensive.

The port is very rough on the 4.0 heads. But, it is a very nice design, equal to or better than a Chevy Vortec or LS1. I have to say that whoever designed the ports either knew what they were doing or were just very lucky. If you did some minor porting, but going no larger than nesescary to clean up the castings, the flow would pick up significantly. Also, a good 3 angle valve job blended into the port and chamber on the intake and a radius exhaust seat will pick up flow where you need it. The 99+ intake, chevy or ford injectors and a larger T-body will help too.

~Alex

Back