• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Storage / Sleeping platform

I am thinking of doing something like this in mine as well. The only thing is i have to be able to have the back seat up for my 2 year old to ride in there... I am not sure how much she will be going with me wheeling but i use my jeep around town when i dont want to drive my dodge. So i am thinking of a way i can make it collapsible. Also not sure if you thought of this but the rear plastics, if you take them off, there is a lot of storage in those areas!!! I used to have a huge black box i used for my hatchet, small shovel, sludge hammer, fix a flat, recovery strap, canteens, first aid kit, sleeping bag, and a few more stuff and now all of that fits in those areas!!! That was one of the best ideas i thought of lol...

What type of wood are you planning on using? I dont want to add too much weight in the back of my jeep. That is one of the only things stopping me from doing it

Good idea also about the panels, but I wanted to keep the inside of the Jeep as stock and "nice" as possible, but I will definitely consider that. As for what kind of wood, or material, Im not sure yet. I will have no problems building this myself, and I want it to be light also, but I dont know yet.

01 XJ, thanks for the pics and input. I was thinking that if it was still a little short inside, that I would just need to position myself to deal with it like you said. No big deal to me, and x2 on the not having to set up a tent and stuff...thats the main purpose behind this...quick and easy, warm, dry.

Thanks guys.

also bb1980 is 100% correct on there being more space under the plastic areas, here is what i did
l_3090f70ec7134e55ba5cff2cae54c3d1.jpg

l_795b4b2317994a839a501afb86f552b8.jpg

l_7c809a9aa48545d5a67deec91bdbb384.jpg

I like to keep my cargo area stock looking and clean, but functional

jesse

Me and the gf have no problem
l_1038c77dc8da4ee68bb445ed3da9b6ce.jpg

Your gf looks...uh....quiet....and.....ummmm.... a little furry.

The folding lug wrench came from 4 wheel parts, i think its made by pro comp but im not sure.

jesse

Make the platform about the same height as the console and wheelwells. When I slept in our XJ I had to put my feet between the front seats and it worked out pretty well. That was with the seat bottom removed.

I've done what you are looking to do, mine is a 4-door 1995. I built mine it 2 pieces. The first platform was the size of the cargo area and stood on 4 legs. It could stay back there with the rear seat usable and made for great storage above and below. When the rear seat was folded up I could install the 2nd piece that attached to the cargo area platform and rested on the folded up rear seat bottom.

My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) road tripped a fair amount using this configuration and it worked really well. We took a couple week long trips doing this but more often weekend trips where we'd leave immediately after work to get to a backpacking trail head so we'd be up and on the trail first thing. There was enough space to be comfortable enough sleeping and plenty of storage space underneath. Given I'm 5'6" and she's 5'4". At 6'2" you are without a doubt going to have to do something to move the front seats forward to give yourself a couple extra inches of head/foot room. That or you better be in the back with someone you're ok spooning with :smootch:

Make the platform about the same height as the console and wheelwells. When I slept in our XJ I had to put my feet between the front seats and it worked out pretty well. That was with the seat bottom removed.

Thats a good idea, putting your feet through. I dont know why I thought I would have to sleep the other way...ha. And the height of 11 is only about an inch above the wheel wells, etc, and a little under locking mechanisms for the rear seat back, so that it can be a flat sheet on top without having to trim sections to fit around that stuff.

xjmatt...that is EXACTLY what I want to do! But you are correct, I will have to do something with the front seats and an extra panel.

Build your platform...
Then throw one of these bad boys on there and your livin in luxury.

http://www.tentsonsuvs.com/suv_mini-van_tent.htm
hang your feet out the back and have a changing/storage area right outside. plus they're standalone for storage while out crawlin.

I've been toying with getting one of these except I wanna rear bumper that carries my spare.

I have one of those tents but it is made by Jeep. They're pretty cool. I don't know if I have any picts of it hooked up or not. The cool thing is that the liftgate holds up the connection sleeve and with my hatch lights it works out real nice. I don't sleep in the back of the jeep but it is nice to have the back end open for your stuff. I've wired up a power port back there so I can air up my mattress and use other stuff.

Got the rear portion of my storage/sleep deck built. Needs black paint and grey carpet on the top to match the interior, but here are some pics.

0529091923.jpg

0529091923a.jpg

0529091923b.jpg

The front section will be where the back seats are and will be flush with the rear section. There will be two doors on top that open towards the center to store stuff underneath where the rear seat would have been. And one more section will be added so that with the front seats all the way forward, there will be a flush sleeping surface from the rear hatch all the way to the backs of the front seats. All in time though. Everything will be easily removable to return the Jeep to DD status after use.

More work on the sleeping platform done. Front section framework of the top is done. Pics.

These are just a couple more pics of the rear platform with seats down.
0530091759a.jpg

0530091759.jpg

Front section...it will be flush with the rear when through.
0530092023.jpg

0530092022.jpg

0530092023a.jpg

More progress. Got the frame for the front section all most done. The longest process was trimming to make the front and rear flush since the rear seatback is a little higher when down than the rear cargo area.

0531092009.jpg

On the shop floor to check if its flush...gives you a better idea of what it looks like.
0531092050.jpg

Back