• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Spring Wrap:

DPG said:
That comment is not entirely true. It depends on the application.
Leaf spring design (as well as longer perches) can GREATLY affect spring wrap.

I remember being able to send my rear yoke into bind with the stock leafs on our XJ years ago. (just on dry pavement) Simply swapping in a set of OME leafs cured that. That was running 31's though.

Of course, the bigger the tires you run, the more weight on the rig, the amount of throttle applied and the bigger the obstacles all play a part in how much spring wrap you'll get with a given leaf pack.

We run 35's, locked up and play in big rocks with our XJ's. Our new TrailGunner leafs (7-leaf pack with anti-wrap clips) are PLENTY substantial for wheeling this set-up with no traction bar. Sure, there's a BIT of wrap on bigger obstacles, but nothing that causes yoke bind, hopping or loss of traction.

Now if youre running an extremely heavy rig on one tons and 40" tires, you've basically left the norm of what you'd consider most (dual-purpose) XJ's to be. At that point, you are easily into lots of custom fab, uni-body re-inforcement, etc and a traction bar would most likely be mandatory.

One of my guys is running a traction bar on his XJ with 37's, but he flipped the rear springs. Because of the center pin location, that's instant spring wrap.
As Jason can attest, it's not real easy fabbing a traditional traction bar on an XJ. The one Alex did works fantastic, but involved cutting out a good sized section of the floor and fabbing a crossmember/mount to do it.
That rig doesn't see street duty though.

For the vast majority of guys that are running 33-35" tires, there are springs that are perfectly fine without a traction bar.

I fabed my front skid plate off of one of you Transfer case skids. It looks like a long way back to the axel. Why couldn't I run a pipe all the way to your skid instead of fabing a crossmember? I can't see any spring being flexable enough and still controll the kind of wrap I have seen. I bought a really sweet gas tank skid from you too and I have too say you make nice stuff. IMHO you had the best gas tank skid and best transfer case skid I could find. Im sure your springs are top notch! What do you think about using your skid a shacke mount for a trac. bar?

Stumpalump said:
I fabed my front skid plate off of one of you Transfer case skids. It looks like a long way back to the axel. Why couldn't I run a pipe all the way to your skid instead of fabing a crossmember? I can't see any spring being flexable enough and still controll the kind of wrap I have seen. I bought a really sweet gas tank skid from you too and I have too say you make nice stuff. IMHO you had the best gas tank skid and best transfer case skid I could find. Im sure your springs are top notch! What do you think about using your skid a shacke mount for a trac. bar?

I haven't tried it, but the one XJ we did put a traction bar on required cutting the floor out in that area. It's really TIGHT under there! We ran a double johnny jointed shackle on that front mount to insure that there wouldn't be any articulation bind from side to side. No way we could've done that without cutting the floor...

Our original belly skids attached with self tapping bolts. Adding a traction bar to the equation adds a lot more stress to the rear of the skid.
While modifying the skid would void our warranty, I'd nonetheless want to be running one of our new skids for that application. The bolts all go through the crossmember and uni-body and mount securely with fender washers and lock nuts. I'd want that extra security for the added forces of a traction bar working on the skid too.
I had to relocate the bottom 4 mounting holes to do this.
(every drop on the traction bar transmits upwards force to the skid and of course, the force of torque during an obstacle climb and the opposing force while braking is always there too)
BTW- Our new skids are now totally smooth on the bottom, by utilizing countersunk hardware.

DPG said:
I haven't tried it, but the one XJ we did put a traction bar on required cutting the floor out in that area. It's really TIGHT under there! We ran a double johnny jointed shackle on that front mount to insure that there wouldn't be any articulation bind from side to side. No way we could've done that without cutting the floor...

Our original belly skids attached with self tapping bolts. Adding a traction bar to the equation adds a lot more stress to the rear of the skid.
While modifying the skid would void our warranty, I'd nonetheless want to be running one of our new skids for that application. The bolts all go through the crossmember and uni-body and mount securely with fender washers and lock nuts. I'd want that extra security for the added forces of a traction bar working on the skid too.
I had to relocate the bottom 4 mounting holes to do this.
(every drop on the traction bar transmits upwards force to the skid and of course, the force of torque during an obstacle climb and the opposing force while braking is always there too)
BTW- Our new skids are now totally smooth on the bottom, by utilizing countersunk hardware.

Can I retrofit my skid with the new thru mounts? I remember now that when I installed your skid I thru bolted one bolt on each side but just used backing plates. Warrenty?? Are you serious? How could anybody hurt it? I bet you have never had a claim!

Stumpalump said:
Can I retrofit my skid with the new thru mounts? I remember now that when I installed your skid I thru bolted one bolt on each side but just used backing plates. Warrenty?? Are you serious? How could anybody hurt it? I bet you have never had a claim!

You could mount your existing skid like our new one's are mounted. You'd need to relocate the lower 4 holes and countersink them. We moved the lower holes slightly to allow room on top of the crossmember for washers & nuts.
The upper side mounting holes are no longer slotted and all 6 of those holes mount through thru the inner and outer uni-body rails.
By not warrantying a skid used for this, I meant that we couldn't warranty it because of the welding (or whatever means you attach a shackle to it) is modifying it in a way that we have no control over.
You are right though- I've never had a single warranty claim on our belly skids. I just saw a way to make them even better, so we did it. I really believe our latest version is the sweetest bolt-on belly skid available for the XJ.

BTW, I don't have a problem with a rear coil set-up for an XJ, but I personally prefer the leafs. The stability afforded by a well set-up leaf system is nice to me, and a LOT cheaper!
To each their own on that one though...

Stumpalump said:

You could mount your existing skid like our new one's are mounted. You'd need to relocate the lower 4 holes and countersink them. We moved the lower holes slightly to allow room on top of the crossmember for washers & nuts.
The upper side mounting holes are no longer slotted and all 6 of those holes mount through thru the inner and outer uni-body rails.
By not warrantying a skid used for this, I meant that we couldn't warranty it because of the welding (or whatever means you attach a shackle to it) is modifying it in a way that we have no control over.
You are right though- I've never had a single warranty claim on our belly skids. I just saw a way to make them even better, so we did it. I really believe our latest version is the sweetest bolt-on belly skid available for the XJ.

BTW, I don't have a problem with a rear coil set-up for an XJ, but I personally prefer the leafs. The stability afforded by a well set-up leaf system is nice to me, and a LOT cheaper!
To each their own on that one though...

FWIW, my traction bar project uses Dirk's belly skid. It's not complete yet though. You can see some mock-up and progress pics here: http://jeepin.net/photos/tractionbar The main lower bar in the photos has since been replace by some 1.5 x 0.25 DOM tubing. I'll try to post some updated progress pics this weekend. It uses a RE SF joint welded to the belly skid, and another welded to the end of the traction bar.

Since I'm going to be installing a set of Dirk's new springs this weekend I've put the tractionbar on hold for now, to see how the new springs do.

the bar from Sam's offroad is way too short for an XJ.

whoops...
iono.gig

386189385_a20dd63d46.jpg

the pins before them...

bentpins.jpg

gotta love the distinct segmenting on that pin on the left...

Someone posted a link to a traction bar a guy fabbed out of square tube steel a few years ago. He fabbed a crossmember with a relief cutout for the exhaust pipe that attached to the uni-frame with three through-bolts on each side, had a shackle hanger welded to it. and fabbed a wicked looking swivel-shackle. It looked hella-stout, I'm going to fab something similar.

Yeah, that's who it was. I'll certainly search out the thread under that name when I'm ready.

fubar XJ said:
Someone posted a link to a traction bar a guy fabbed out of square tube steel a few years ago. He fabbed a crossmember with a relief cutout for the exhaust pipe that attached to the uni-frame with three through-bolts on each side, had a shackle hanger welded to it. and fabbed a wicked looking swivel-shackle. It looked hella-stout, I'm going to fab something similar.

that would have been Timmay

I'm totally stealing his design.

He should fab those for sale to the public, I'd bet a fair number of guys would want one.

Just out of curiousity, does Timmay still post here? I'd be curious to get his feedback and/or see some pics of his XJ flexing with the traction bar installed.

Last edited:
I don't post there. Hey, next time you're there, could you ask him if he has any binding or other issues with that bar? I'd appreciate it.

Back