• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal

Ok i got everything off changed the seal replaced oil pan
???
did you replace the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal??

ok i will take advise, i need help again, the darn thing still leaks, it appears to be comeing from the bell housing, possibly the rear half of the oil pan

thats were the rear main leaks. if you changed the rear main(which im not sure if you did) it could be just some residual oil still in the bell housing.

i replaced both of them, does anyone know the part number for the mopar gasket

i checked to see if it is oil in the bell housing it is not i parked on a slight hill and the oil still leaks out from around of the rear main seal area, but i am going to check the rear of the valve cover

Do you have a FSM? If not you REALLY need to get one to learn how to do this stuff. No wonder you pulled the tranny. The axle on stock and lower lifts need to be dropped down a bit. The rear main seal for clearifing here is a two part round seal that goes around the crank in the back. The two parts are half moon looking. This cork gasket was it a Mopar part?

mark
orgs mfg

Mark Hinkley, "Do you have a FSM? If not you REALLY need to get one to learn how to do this stuff. No wonder you pulled the tranny. "

Mark, I only partially agree.
Yes, everyone that does anything beyond oil changes and new sparkplugs should have a FSM, but in this case, it may not have helped. My FSM says I have to drop the tranny too :( .
Glad I had NAXJA.

Bones
NAXJA #6

Bones,

What's going on, Long time no...

Well, now you know how much I read the FSM. I thought that is said that for just the 2.5L.

mark
orgs mfg

Holy late night Leno!!!!!!! In my previous post I said, " I have done two, on neither did we pull the seal.", and I must have had two many by that time. (Two many what??? hehe).. I meant was not seal but tranny. I am sure you that have done this job before knew what I was talking about anyway. If you have at least a 3" lift, you can jack the XJ up with the disco's disconnected, and that should give you enough room to get the oil pan out.......

Casper

thanks for all the help guys but i am going to give up on this one, tomorrow morning i am buying a 91 with a 4 1/2 already installed, so now i am going to pull all the parts out of the 89 and return it to stock and sell it to someone else.

p.s. how do i change my screen name and what years did the XJ come with a rear tire mount, cause this new one i am getting has one i have pics but can not upload them can someone help?

I can't believe I just dropped the tranny.......I WISH THE SITE WAS NOT DOWN LAST NIGHT!!!!!

Back