• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disk brake option

chris_amrein

NAXJA Forum User
So I went to Autozone and bought new pads and rotors for my 97 daily driver and I got to thinking. Is it possible to use front rotors, calipers, and pads on the rear? I could fabricate a caliper mount fairly easily. I haven't looked that deep into it, but I thought it would be cool to have the same brake parts front and back.

This would be going on a 35 spline Ford 9 inch. It's for my Jeepspeed build so I don't need a parking brake. Anyone know of somebody trying this?

Thanks, Chris

You can use other Jeep's rear brake assemblies to do the same thing waay easier. What rear axle do you have?

I think ZJs and KJs rear discs can fit pretty easily on XJs.

You'd probably have to put the rotor on the back side of the axle flange with the lug studs holding them together. I don't think the hats on the rotor are big enough to fit from the out side over the axle flange.

I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work though, as long as the master can move enough volume for the bigger pistons, compared to the tiny wheel cylinders of the drum brakes.

-Dan

I think I understand what you're saying about putting the rotor on the inside of the flange, but that doesn't seem field-service-friendly. Might be my only option though.

Like I said, a big part of wanting to run this set up was to use the same part on each corner which would reduce spare parts for chase trucks and pit boxes.

Thanks, Chris

I think I understand what you're saying about putting the rotor on the inside of the flange, but that doesn't seem field-service-friendly. Might be my only option though.

Like I said, a big part of wanting to run this set up was to use the same part on each corner which would reduce spare parts for chase trucks and pit boxes.

Thanks, Chris

Oh ok, I thought you just wanted rear discs, I didn't see that you were trying to eliminate the need for two different sets of spare parts for brakes.

Good luck.
Take pics.

Thanks, Chris

How offen to brakes brake? I have never ever seen anyone carry spare rotors or pads.

This is for racing, and odd things can happen. At last year's Vegas to Reno, one of our drivers hit a big rock in a silt bed and broke a wheel and the rotor. The rotor broke off of the hat. Luckily they were only a couple miles from the pit and were able to limp it in. We had the spare parts and got it fixed, and back out racing in less that 15 minutes.

-Dan

A big reason not to use the front rotors and calipers is that you'd loose your parking brake. I'd go the route CherBear suggested and try using the rear brake parts from another Jeep.

A big reason not to use the front rotors and calipers is that you'd loose your parking brake. I'd go the route CherBear suggested and try using the rear brake parts from another Jeep.

You dont need a parking brake for racing and if you HAVE to have one....use a line lock.

Just run an explorer setup on the 9in. It bolts on and you don't have to run the parking brake. I gutted mine and all I have is the calipers and brackets, works just fine.

Justin

Just run an explorer setup on the 9in. It bolts on and you don't have to run the parking brake. I gutted mine and all I have is the calipers and brackets, works just fine.

Justin

That is what we have on the racer and they work awesome.

I ran the Explorer set up on my last Jeepspeed and they were great, just looking for a simpler, possibly cheaper option.

I tried slipping a rotor over my Currie 35 spline axle last night and it didin't fit. The ID of the backside of the rotor measures about 6.125 and the OD of the axle flange measures 6.5".

The hub center of the rotor and axle are the same size. Can I machine my axle flange down to 6.125 OD? Will taking this material off reduce the integrity of the axle? Looking at it now, this looks like my only roadblock to pulling this off.

Thanks, Chris

Back