• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Cargo Storage- what i did...

Thanks again for your interest...

I mounted it directly to the body with large sheet metal screws, 4 to a side.
I made the unit fit very tightly to avoid the rubbing noise i imagined from wood / metal against each other while driving. it works.. also all of the parts i got from Hom Depot.

wasnt too expensive.. carpet i got from Pep Boys.. But i recently saw it also at Wackmart....

:wave:

aroncull said:
Thanks again for your interest...

I mounted it directly to the body with large sheet metal screws, 4 to a side.
I made the unit fit very tightly to avoid the rubbing noise i imagined from wood / metal against each other while driving.

Cool, thanks again; I'm going to have to try that this week.

Thanks for the idea, aroncull!

Here's what I ended up doing with a couple long, heavy duty drawer slides. I permanently removed the side trim panels in the rear, but it doesn't look bad at all because most of that is covered by the shelf. If I get anal, maybe I'll cut off the tops of the panels and use them, but I doubt it. The offset drawer slides bring up the shelf a little higher; I really like where it sits.

My digicam died, so the latest upgrade is not shown (4 eye bolts in the corners that hold a cargo net and/or bungee cords).

Mounting the slides to the jeep was pretty much a no-brainer, but I did have to use spacers (washers) on the left side to make up for the fact that the body is not flat around the spare tire mount.

I used 3/4" plywood for the shelf. It's a little heavy, but it's tough enough to handle the slide-mounting screws (I drilled pilot holes first). It held up fine on our 2 week honeymoon around the 4 corners area (just got back!).

sideRail.jpg

sideRailSpacers.jpg

frontClosed.jpg

frontOpen.jpg

rearBack.jpg

rearForward.jpg

Since we're posting them here's mine. It also has a fridge slide on it and uses tiedowns underneath to keep it secure but still allow me to remove it. I did it mainly because I do a lot of long distance trips and wanted to be able to slide my tent in underneath last.

aaa.jpg

aac.jpg

The board is on the fridgeslide to stop it rattling when there is no fridge on it and it doubles as a pull out table etc

aaf.jpg

Cheers
Steve

pabloconrad said:
cool set-up. You keep beer in that thar fridge?

What else ;) Actually it's a 50lt fridge so I normally put in a sixpack or two at a time and use the rest for food storage... I can normally fit about 2 weeks worth of meat if it's vacum packed. That leaves enough room for some veggies and beer along with the other bits and pieces like butter and softdrink.

Here it is loaded up for a 4 week trip

aad.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Gojeep said:
G'day Steve, what rear bumper are you running on there?

Its a "consoles and carriers" carrier on the stock bumper. It's been on there 3 years and about 70000km so far and has held up well :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F said:
Its a "consoles and carriers" carrier on the stock bumper. It's been on there 3 years and about 70000km so far and has held up well :)

Cheers
Steve

Thank mate. Just had someone asking about what was out there. Only new of the Warn, Kmar and Formula Offroad ones but had forgot about them. He has been around to my place before to buy things off me and had shown the prototype for the ZJ he has a while ago.

I like the idea - it looks good. I may try a design with less height and a drawer that pulls out rather than just stuffing things underneath. it would be a great place to keep tire chains, tools, and all the other crap that I carry around. I am thinking a frame could be built out of angle iron which would fit between the fender wells and screwed to the floor. Drawer slides could be mounted inside it. The front would be plywood and would form fit to the sides of the cargo area. The back wouldnt overhang the drawer frame so there would be little cubby holes on the sides for storage. The top would be plywood and form fit to sides of the cargo area. It would go across the top of the cubby holes in the back to make a continuous deck. The whole thing could be carpeted. VISUALIZE!
Dont hold your breath waiting for pics. First I have to put my new bumpers on and build a fold up ramp so my hound dog can get and out of the jeep easy. Hes 14 and was having trouble getting in before I lifted it. Hes not too fond of me picking him up either. After hiking, when hes all muddy, I'm not either.

I am also rethinking my approach.
I am considering doing a drawer, but only on one side, something to pull out on nice metal sliders that have a lock or something. Need to have the other half open for camping totes ect...

Also i think i may get a cargo net= "RAMPAGE HANG-TITE HAMMOCK STORAGE NETS" It can store things inside it and it will hang across the back to hold all of the stuff behind in when opening and also hold jackets and stuff in it..
just a thought..

here: http://store.yahoo.com/allthingsjeep/rpl339015.html

Anyways Nice work all off you.. our rears did need more work didnt they :gag:

Aaron

Steve - if you're still there... I found this two-year old thread when browsing for rear-storage ideas. (I have an XJ with roof-tent and have spent much of last 15 years roaming around Middle East deserts). Couple of questions: 1) how is the frame for your shelf fixed and supported? Bolts through the floor, brackets at the sides, legs? and 2) what fridge/slider is that? I have an Engel fridge, but no slider-base, and I like your set-up.

br1anstorm

See as we are all showing. I did this a few years ago. Designed to carry all my off-road needs.

Looking back to front

Looking front to back. with back seat down.

Mind the mess just got back from a winch-fest, when pics were taken.

WOW I should read all the post. Reviving the dead.

$h!t yeah that rocks! All you would need to do to secure it would be to use safety cable's or chains from a eyelet underneath the shelf like you have on top to the facory rings on the floor. Whatever you call those things.

That should do it!

How are you guys attatching the shelf to the sides of the body? I would think regular sheet metal screws would just pull out when any weight is put on it.

br1anstorm said:
Steve - if you're still there... I found this two-year old thread when browsing for rear-storage ideas. (I have an XJ with roof-tent and have spent much of last 15 years roaming around Middle East deserts). Couple of questions: 1) how is the frame for your shelf fixed and supported? Bolts through the floor, brackets at the sides, legs? and 2) what fridge/slider is that? I have an Engel fridge, but no slider-base, and I like your set-up.

br1anstorm

The rear of my shelf sits on the wheel arches, the front has legs. It uses four straps to hold it down to rings bolted to the floor with plates on the underside. This way I can take it out. The slide is from 4WDsystems. http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/fridge_slides.htm

Cheers
Steve

Good work =) Excellent for storage and for the most part things are placed neatly and secured...

Fizassist... I have that same tool box and tools! Got em from Big Lots... haha oh man! I thought I was the only one. I hate the wrench... it sucks.

4x4ever said:
How are you guys attatching the shelf to the sides of the body? I would think regular sheet metal screws would just pull out when any weight is put on it.

I have 1/2" bolts and nuts through the metal behind the plastic. I will get pics and post up later.

Back