• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Hack & Tap

SketchyXJ said:
The ball on the end has needle bearing in it right?

If you mean the shiny part attached to the transfer case, No it is cut to match the splined Transfer case output shaft, It contains no needle bearings.

SketchyXJ said:
The ball on the end has needle bearing in it right?

The centering ball, that is between the 2 u-joints, does have needle bearings inside of it.

If I already have a Hack and Tap installed can I replace it with another SYE?
The reason I want to do this is because it was hard for me to find the yoke with the ball that bolts up to it, and I would like to have a more servicable driveshaft. Does this sound like a good idea? Any suggestions would help alot, Thanks.

I'm going to order the spicer yoke I need for the hack and tap, but I still want a common yoke like my last post, is that possible to swap another sye on so I can have a more common yoke?

SketchyXJ said:
If I already have a Hack and Tap installed can I replace it with another SYE?
The reason I want to do this is because it was hard for me to find the yoke with the ball that bolts up to it, and I would like to have a more servicable driveshaft. Does this sound like a good idea? Any suggestions would help alot, Thanks.

Those yokes are all over the place. They are a common item. I don't understand what your issue is.

if you had an sye it would be more serviceable just for the fact that you can carry a front ds and have a spare for whichever one breaks.

SketchyXJ said:
really? its a spicer 211229X? were I am I cant seem to find it.
Is there any options to look for a spare one of these at a junkyard?

Online all over the place. Search and you shall reep the rewards. Several places sell them. Rockford Driveline comes to mind. There are others as well. Several threads on this very topic here on NAXJA. You just have to find them.

SketchyXJ said:
Sounds good thank you, I'm going to order it ASAP.
And possibly build a spare. Thanks again.

:thumbup:

That's what we're here for!

:cheers:

Ok...been searching for a few hours on SYE and want to make sure I have this right.

The plan is to ditch the 3" BB I have now and upgrade to a 3.5" RE kit. I've been fighting vibes for about a year now. Got the vibes straightened out today, but have some lovely axle wrap happening now as a result of the blocks on my current set up.

Since I have a NP242, and my Jeep sees 95% highway at trips of no less than 30 miles one way, and no really hard core wheelin, so here's what i'm thinking. RE H&T to run a front shaft out back. To get it to mate, i'll need the spicer with the part number listed in this thread.

-RE H&T
-Front DS from another automatic XJ
-Spicer

This is all I need correct? Trying to set the money aside now and making sure i'm not missing anything.

UNCC_99XJ said:
Ok...been searching for a few hours on SYE and want to make sure I have this right.

The plan is to ditch the 3" BB I have now and upgrade to a 3.5" RE kit. I've been fighting vibes for about a year now. Got the vibes straightened out today, but have some lovely axle wrap happening now as a result of the blocks on my current set up.

Since I have a NP242, and my Jeep sees 95% highway at trips of no less than 30 miles one way, and no really hard core wheelin, so here's what i'm thinking. RE H&T to run a front shaft out back. To get it to mate, i'll need the spicer with the part number listed in this thread.

-RE H&T
-Front DS from another automatic XJ
-Spicer

This is all I need correct? Trying to set the money aside now and making sure i'm not missing anything.

YESSSS!!!!! THATS ALL YOU NEED!!!!!! !!!1

:smootch:Tim

I am getting ready install an RE Hack n Tap with the Spicer part and a driveshaft I got from pick n pull. Should I replace the u-joints on the driveshaft I just got? How do I know if they need to be replaced? :dunno:

Maverickj1 said:
I am getting ready install an RE Hack n Tap with the Spicer part and a driveshaft I got from pick n pull. Should I replace the u-joints on the driveshaft I just got? How do I know if they need to be replaced? :dunno:

Move the joints in all ways possible. If there is any binding or if it feels "gritty" or bad in any way, replace them. If it were me, I'd replace them regardless. Just piece of mind.

Your front driveshaft should bolt right up to the PORC (www.PerformanceOffRoadCenter.com) SYE. No need for the Spicer part.
HTH,
Billy

PS - I almost deleted this thread for being a pic request, and see... you didn't need to see a pic at all :D

It seems like to me, if the PORC part eliminates the need for the Spicer adapter, PORC would be a better way to go than RE. I'd like to utilize this setup on my '99. When I look at the 96+ SYE from PORC, it appears to be a drive flange, just like RE's, so it would still need the Spicer adapter. Am I looking at the wrong SYE?

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=37_42_949&products_id=154

tnRE1807.jpg

Thanks

It seems like to me, if the PORC part eliminates the need for the Spicer adapter, PORC would be a better way to go than RE. I'd like to utilize this setup on my '99. When I look at the 96+ SYE from PORC, it appears to be a drive flange, just like RE's, so it would still need the Spicer adapter. Am I looking at the wrong SYE?

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=37_42_949&products_id=154

tnRE1807.jpg

Thanks
Yeap,its the HD kits that use a std cv yoke driveshaft.
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=153&reviews_id=13

Back