• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re gearing ?

Wikkid98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to regear my xj I have a 98 5 speed came stock with 3.07 I already have swapped to 3.55 axles after nuking the 3.07 4 times lol now I'm looking to go 4.88 with helical lsd in front and Spartan in the rear I already know I need a new carrier for the d30 hence the helical lsd really what my question is is do I need to get new diff covers also ?

Sorry not up on Grammer lol

What size tires? No don't "need" to get a new cover.

That’s a lot of gear for 33’s. I’ve got a 5 speed with 4.56’s on 33’s. That’s as high as I would go if you drive it on the highway and I say that after driving it to Moab and thinking 4.10’s would have been better for the trip.

Also if you’re breaking axles that much yeah I’d do the diff covers while it’s apart

That’s a lot of gear for 33’s. I’ve got a 5 speed with 4.56’s on 33’s. That’s as high as I would go if you drive it on the highway and I say that after driving it to Moab and thinking 4.10’s would have been better for the trip.

Also if you’re breaking axles that much yeah I’d do the diff covers while it’s apart

Haven't broken an axle mainly gears ... I don't do a whole lot of highway with it and figured the lower gears would be good when and if I go bigger with the next set of tires the diff covers I thought would be good to give the r gear more space

Too much gear. I'm doing 4.88s for 37s

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

33s with manual 4.56s will be a little deep but if you aren't driving on the road will be fine.

Check out www.grimmjeeper.com to get a better idea.

Thanks for that site it was actually pretty helpful with the calculations I was in the mindset that just go big or go home lol but I think the 4.56 would be the better bet even if I do step up to 35s as I stand right now 5th gear is just about useless unless I'm flat or down hill

I don't drive it as often as I would like but the same time I don't want it screaming when I do or when I do take it to Rausch or aoaa (closest pay to plays near me)

Lol the way you said that implies that I probably should get new covers

Do a youtube search for Gale Banks and differential covers. Look for the videos where he is comparing stock covers and aftermarket covers.

That should get you some practical perspective on the subject.

Im just shy of 3000rpm at 65mph in 5th.

4.56 would probly be 2750ish maybe 2800

Im running higher rpm than the calculators sugest. My tires are air down to 15psi 33" so maybe that's partially why.

I think 35s and 4.88 would do well 37s id like 5.13s

I absolutely love the 4.88s on the trails im fine having 65mph as my max speed. The thing all around drives so much better than 3.55s

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

what kind of wheeling to you do where you are breaking gear sets and not axle shafts?

on a noodley axle like the D30, ive found that ring gear failure is usually a product of housing deflection. when the hosing flexes, the gear mesh gets thrown off, and things go boom. a full case locker/LSD is a step in the right direction. a stout diff cover also helps to stiffen up the housing. from there the next step is a truss.

i also vote 4.56s over 4.88s.

Actually not wheeling when they broke it was to high of gear on the bigger tires ( factory 3.07 ) and only the 8.25 broke

Beefy covers add some strength

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm looking to regear my xj I have a 98 5 speed came stock with 3.07 I already have swapped to 3.55 axles after nuking the 3.07 4 times lol now I'm looking to go 4.88 with helical lsd in front and Spartan in the rear I already know I need a new carrier for the d30 hence the helical lsd really what my question is is do I need to get new diff covers also ?

Sorry not up on Grammer lol

Wild question. What are going to use it for? Type of terrain?

Actually not wheeling when they broke it was to high of gear on the bigger tires ( factory 3.07 ) and only the 8.25 broke

i started with 3.07s, went to 3.55s, then axle swapped to full widths on 5.13s... im familiar with the the AX15 in very shallow gears and very deep gears. any gear with the AX15 and 3.07s is too high of a gear. but its more likely to bog the motor down than hurt the axles.

gear sets dont just spontaneously fail on the road. i mean, it happens. but either youve got the worst luck or there is more going on to this story.

gear sets dont just spontaneously fail on the road. i mean, it happens. but either youve got the worst luck or there is more going on to this story.[/QUOTE]

First was Pinion bearing had it replaced shade tree style
2nd I can only assume was underlying issue from first or was not caught by shade tree mech swapped 3.07 axle .
3 **** bag boss forced me to pull loaded dump trailer heard a pop going down highway and a snag in the rear broken teeth ..replaced with used parts Frankenstein (bad idea) in a real shop rear sang like a mofo for about three months and nuked crossing the highway omw to work got it to work swapped to 3.55 axle in parking lot

Back