• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

racing seats

I have those very same seats. I got the 2 for 1 deal with free shipping. Total cost was $170 for the pair.

The good:
CHEAP!
The look pretty nice
Seem to be solid
They totally hold you in place, no bouncing around.

The Bad:
I don't trust the fabric, seems like it would ware out fast. I bet I have a tear in one within a year or 2.
The palstic knobs for tilting the seat back all came broke. ALL 4
It took JC whitney 6 months to send me new ones. Seriously.
To lean the seat back, you have to turn that knob over and over and over. It would probobly take 5min to get it into a reclining position. No getting laid in these seats.
The mounting was insainly difficult:

I have an 89 with 5spd stick
My old seats were shot, I saw that an above poster had rigged up the origional riser to these seats, I really don't think that looks very sturdy to me. And when I was looking at mine I didn't see any way to safely mount them to the original equipment.

I tore everything out, and, as it happened I was tearing out the carpet at the same time.

I made at least 3 different brackets before I finally figured out what I was doing.
I got 3/4" angle iron
Cut 2 pieces the legth of the rails on the bottoms of the sliders on the seats.
Drill holes for the bolts, and bot them down.

Now look at your floor.
The floor on the passangers side is different than the drivers side. This is where it gets messy.
Overall, the passengers side is narrower, but the drivers side has a large bulge for the transfer case. This is in the way. I have to use a sledge and move mine. It still is many many inches away from the TC so I felt ok with it.

On the drivers side I made and L shaped box. Here is my paintshop plan...
seatmounttp9.jpg

You have to beat on where the red X is or the pumpkin hits the seat.
The green line is the shape I made with the angle iron.
The over all length of the L is the same length as the seat brackets.
The blue squares are the risers. Mine were aprox 6" but you should measure this yourself. Put the seat on blocks of wood and move it up and down until your sure.
Cross members have to to go across where the risers are, these are then welded to the angle iron you bolted to the seat.
Drill holes through this bottom frame through the floor.
Then put 2 more pieces of angle iron on the other side
Run grade 8 bolts through with locking washers and impact wrench it down.

When I was done, and sure it was where I wanted it, I unbolted the seats, cleaned everything up and benlined the truck, including these frames.

The passengers side is basically the same but you don't need the L shape.

Back