• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for CRASH about 8.8?

Joe

NAXJA Member #887
Crash,

Is your 8.8 c-clip or did you upgrade to the ford Big Bearing ends?

If you are still using the c-clips; have you had any problems with them breaking & think like that?

Thanks,

Joe :shock:

Never had a problem with the C-clips. I use Dutchman alloy shafts, but that really has nothing to do with the C-clips. I have never heard of an 8.8 C-cilp breaking, they are pretty stout.

I think C-clips have a bad reputation because of the D-35. The C-clips are not the problem with that axle, but they seem to be lumped in with all the negative things you hear about them.

A 31 spline 8.8 is VERY strong. The shafts are the same strength as a 9 inch, and stronger than a 44. That said, I would love to make my 8.8 into a full floater. That way, even if I broke it badly, I could limp home. I hate carrying spare shafts, but I do if I'm going far from home (Hammers, etc)

CRASH

Thanks for the info Andy "CRASH",

One more question!

What is the best year to look for in a Ford 8.8? I'm deciding to either go with a 8.8 w/disc brakes or if I could find an XJ 44. Every thing else will need modifications, so will that in mind I am only willing to do the modification to the front.

Joe

I think 96 and later are disk brakes, but in all honesty, the drums are large and stop very well. They are all the correct bolt pattern, and some came with 4.11 gears.

I don't know how the codes on the axle tags work as far as limited slip and such, but do a search on the Tech board, it's been posted there before.

CRASH

check therangerstation.com they list all of the axle codes for the 8.8 remember though only 96 on up were 31 splines in the exploder

SPOBI!

All Explorers that I've ever seen are 31 spline. Mine was from a 93.

CRASH

Back