• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PROTHANE FRONT BUMPSTOP WRITEUP

Prothane says non-rebound. So they do not spring back, they just return.

IMO that is a blanket statement. Why don't you try this: first put on a face shield or better yet a football helmet on your head. Nest place the spring shaped hunk off polyurethane (bump stop) on a sturdy table, now strike it with a sledge hammer and see what happens.

IMO that is a blanket statement. Why don't you try this: first put on a face shield or better yet a football helmet on your head. Nest place the spring shaped hunk off polyurethane (bump stop) on a sturdy table, now strike it with a sledge hammer and see what happens.

Since I happen to have a new set of Prothanes sitting here, I tried exactly that just now. I didn't have a sledge sitting in the house, but for some reason do have a 2 5/16 trailer hitch on the coffee table. Even with my chicken arms, an over the shoulder swing puts down some force.

2013-07-16_22-07-15_851_zps431a582d.jpg

I can tell you matter of factly, no significant rebound. I don't know that guy you were arguing with.. but on behalf of him..

2013-07-16_22-07-23_547_zps38db4c29.jpg

:)

The hammer comes to a stop.
I have been running prothanes for a long time and 3 different pairs. Did lots of tests with compression and rebound. The hammer was the least effective.
If you want to test rebound it needs to be compressed.
The point is, the rebound force is insignificant to the compression force. The rebound will not lift your jeep. That is what springs are for.

Since I happen to have a new set of Prothanes sitting here, I tried exactly that just now. I didn't have a sledge sitting in the house, but for some reason do have a 2 5/16 trailer hitch on the coffee table. Even with my chicken arms, an over the shoulder swing puts down some force.

I can tell you matter of factly, no significant rebound. I don't know that guy you were arguing with.. but on behalf of him..

294168009_b25decaddf_z.jpg

I've been using them for a few years now and they do not rebound in a sense that a spring rebounds. They DO have a 'slight' bouncy feel when I have the xj crossed up going slow but for what they do when going fast or even a sudden weight shift when crawling they are Awesome.

I do want to try air bumps in the rear but if I could figure out away to mount the Prothanes I would and ditch the crappy Timbrens that DO rebound back(dont use 'helper' spring for a soft bumpstop, but it works, sorta)...

Anyways They are awesome, Cheap and stupid easy to use(just use a 'landing pad' or you will be cutting them off the tower or cutting the tower off and pressing them out. I learned this the hard way on the new tuff-truck XJ I just built)...

andy s

2013-07-16_22-07-15_851_zps431a582d.jpg

Well played.

I have also noticed no rebound from them... Even when I had my jeep sitting on them before I changed springs they did not change a thing.

I've been using them for a few years now and they do not rebound in a sense that a spring rebounds. They DO have a 'slight' bouncy feel when I have the xj crossed up going slow but for what they do when going fast or even a sudden weight shift when crawling they are Awesome.

I do want to try air bumps in the rear but if I could figure out away to mount the Prothanes I would and ditch the crappy Timbrens that DO rebound back(dont use 'helper' spring for a soft bumpstop, but it works, sorta)...

Anyways They are awesome, Cheap and stupid easy to use(just use a 'landing pad' or you will be cutting them off the tower or cutting the tower off and pressing them out. I learned this the hard way on the new tuff-truck XJ I just built)...

andy s
I just made rear bumps from 3 ring prothanes because I blew out regular ones. Haven't aired it yet but they work in the whoops.

I cannot post pics of the rear prothanes. NAXJA will not allow me.
I could post on another forum and link it?
I use 1.5" diameter threaded pipe to secure the them. They thread securely onto it.
The base is from nissan pathfinder. These bumps were almost 7" tall until I destroyed the rubber. The base is 2" - 3" tall.
The problem with the Prothanes is their width 3". Clearance issue with the leaf spring plate. The plate is wider than the leafs so I guess 1/2" arc could be trimmed off it.
It's working good for whoops and straight hits. But, they may have an issue with an articulating axle because the prothanes can be pushed sideways too. Will have to flex it and experiment.
Ordered progressive bumps 4.5" tall. The prothane idea was just to get by until then.

you need to host the pic somewhere like imageshack, tinypic, or photobucket. you cannot upload attachments here.

bawahahahahahaha

Those will not work. They will rip off.

Win for trying! lol

Yea.... I would be worried about them deforming and coming off the threads.

Back