• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Protecting my Bushwackers…

I was thinking the same thing... Extended flares are great until they get torn off. So - make them QD with dzuz or other fasteners. The plastic drywall wedgies are a great "low-buck" :idea: to retain them. One might consider subbing a bolt/nut/washer for the #1 leading edge holes, but :dunno:

I don't own any but a buddy of mine does and his experience is that they are VERY suceptible to UV damage (makes them extremely brittle). This pretty much holds true for most kinds of plastics, so be aware of it.

$400 alone has kept me from getting them. On my Bronco I have run their extend-a-fender flairs for 5 years w/o issue. I thought I'd kill them being a harder plastic but they have held up fine. I have flatened them several times on trees (and tapped a few rocks) and nothing worse then a few scrapes and a gouge or two. If I can find a used set of pocket flairs I am going to get them for my '89 XJ.

I can't believe how many people take there time to whine about bushwackers instead of just helping him with his question. I don't run them because they aren't worth $400 to me, but thats just me. As far as caring for them, I would suggest to keep them clean and make sure the mounting points are solid and clean.

Roads said:
I can't believe how many people take there time to whine about bushwackers instead of just helping him with his question. I don't run them because they aren't worth $400 to me, but thats just me. As far as caring for them, I would suggest to keep them clean and make sure the mounting points are solid and clean.

Thank you! You read my mind :) You also just gave me a great idea on how to reinforce the mounting area for the bushwackers. Thank you! :)

I don't know anything about the internal design of bushwhackers. But perhaps you could reinforce the plastic with metal on the underside of the flares. Maybe use metal strips or bar. It wouldn't be much but it would be something. Just brainstorming.

Roads said:
I don't know anything about the internal design of bushwhackers. But perhaps you could reinforce the plastic with metal on the underside of the flares. Maybe use metal strips or bar. It wouldn't be much but it would be something. Just brainstorming.

It is definitely worth a try, its better then just giving up on them. :)

Jeep-Guy said:

It is definitely worth a try, its better then just giving up on them. :)

I gave up on mine. They are being well taken care of in the trash dumpster.

I always thought of using rivserts to take them on and off. But rocks and trees pulled them off for me :D

if bushwackers are so horrible, they would be out of business by now.

true, i believe they are meant 90% for street legality, and 10% for wheeling, but i don't think they are that bad......no better or worse than ANY OTHER plastic flare in my opinion.........

but i have to agree. they do shatter quite easily........my wife got broadsided in the passenger front wheel well and it broke in 1/2........unfortunately bushwacker wouldn't warrantee them.........something about not being meant as body armor at 50mph impacts or something like that..........:) LOL

but seriously, my wife has ran them for several years now, and never had any problems with them...she doesn't wheel as hard as me, and hasn't flopped on it's side yet, but she has a few scrapes in them and they haven't broken yet..........

as for keeping them clean/nice...............no special treatment,.......wash the jeep and call it good........ours are going on 2 1/2 years now and i just installed a new passenger one because of the accident, and you can't even tell which ones are the old ones and which ones is the new one........

but i guess since everybody has to complain about them, i have to keep up tradition..........bushwackers suck to replace........i had to buy a whole new set just to replace the 1 broken one.......what am i going to do with 3 flares??? bushwacker should really sell individual replacements.

scorpio_vette said:
but i guess since everybody has to complain about them, i have to keep up tradition..........bushwackers suck to replace........i had to buy a whole new set just to replace the 1 broken one.......what am i going to do with 3 flares??? bushwacker should really sell individual replacements.

Another reason not to buy them. In my eyes, customer service can make a crappy product great. This is, however, not the case with Bushwackers. A crappy product with crappier service.

cracker said:
Another reason not to buy them. In my eyes, customer service can make a crappy product great. This is, however, not the case with Bushwackers. A crappy product with crappier service.

X2. I never liked mine. Only use them to keep the pricks, I mean cops of my butt.

scorpio_vette said:
i had to buy a whole new set just to replace the 1 broken one.......what am i going to do with 3 flares???

Just hold on to them, your other ones will break sooner or later.

Scuff them up a bit with 220 or scotch bright pad and spray them with plain old black bumper paint. You can get it at Autozone, Duplicolor if I remember correctly.

If you want to protect them on the trail, remove them.

Mine are toast, many pockets ripped and holes opened up, some pockets have washers to hold them in. Junk, but they keep me legal. I use zip ties on the fronts so they come off quicker at the trailhead.

Back