• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "The Gray Goose"

A bad steering box can do it.

So I need some help next weekend working on The Goose to get it ready for Renofest.

-Axle side track bar is wallowed out so it needs a new plate welded to the outside of the mount.
-need to add more BBs to tires for balance
-tighten all trackbar frame bolts
-check steering box
-adjust wb with lca slotted frame mount
-Check alignment
-Check pinion angles

Really a pretty simple list but the welding is where I fall short with no welder or skills. Other problem is that I can't drive the jeep anywhere bc I have DW any speed above 25mph.

Pizza/Taco Bell and beverages would be provided. I'm hoping that I can get this crap solved and do a shakedown run at PC before Renofest. Please help.

Bueller....

So add an alignment to your list. More than likely your issue is the trackbar mount. I had the same problem. I used this to fix it perminantly.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-hd-front-track-bar-bracket-tj-xj-zj.html

I also openned the hole to accept a 1/2" bolt and got the corrosponting bushing from re for my trackbar. Its been solid ever since.

Total cost was about 60$ total and a huge improvement in controlling dw

Wish i could help bud.

That's a great Idea Gordo. I didn't realize anything like the replacement mount was out there pre-fabbed. Down side is shipping time for the part vs having the ability to fix it this weekend if I can find a welder friend to help.

Driveway alignment was also in the plans.

I do have the Rubicon express 1/2" bushing kit sitting at my house but I'm thinking that a metric equivalent in grade 10.9 might fit the bushing tighter than the 1/2" grade 8 I found at Homedepot.

Small update.

The other weekend, I took my 33s off and put on some stockers that I was hoping were balanced. I was able to get up to 55mph or so before getting minimal vibrations (speed verified by radar sign).

Plans for this weekend are to take my 33s to a tire shop and add more airosoft bbs to all tires to try and get them balanced. I also plan to hook a strap to my front axle and my truck to pull my drivers side axle forward to equal my wb on both sides. I also took Gordo's advice and ordered the Rusty's axle side trackbar mount which came in the other day.

Got to say that I am excited to get this thing driving again and back on the trail after a full year.

Still no pictures bcecause I'm busy with work but last weeken my coworker helped burn in the Rusty's track bar mount (thank you Gordo for the suggestion). I also replaced my axle side passenger UCA bushing which was not staying in the mount and had a wallowed out sleeve/worn bushing.

Pre-packed the back last night trying to fit everything and realized that trying to pack for 2 dogs is difficult when you're giveing them the whole back seat to roam. Also doesn't help packing a pet cage so they don't lick me all night.

I'm mentally ready for this much needed vacation at Renofest. Tonight I need to prep the jeep by throwing the front end back together and putting the 33s back on. Hopefully it's all good and I cured the major DW.

Well it wouldn't be a trip to Renofest without a last minute wrenching session... Unfortunately I couldn't get the jeep fixed so I'll be taking the Hooptie Wagon and just riding with Seal on the trails.

Thats the spirit ! Just get out here any way you can!

Well Sesl tried convincing me to keep working on the jeep so I'm going to try and do that while I wait for stores to open so I can buy food for the trip. The lca bushings seem to be shot so I need to try and pry those out unfortunately it's pretty difficult when you don't own a pry bar. Haha

I'm going to post here and the sale section...

Does anyone have a set of aftermarket lower control arms with good bushings they want to get rid of? I need a set for a run in 2 weeks. Mine are currently 16" eye to eye.

Got new adjustable Rubicon Express lowers from Rob707 thanks to Blondejon providing the tip. Got the new bushings in and the johnny joints rebuilt last night.

Plan to get everything tightened up and installed tonight. Hopefully get it done quick enough that I can take it on a test drive and see if the dw is gone..

Wholly crap that took longer than I wanted to install the lower arms(3-3.5hrs). Got them in and the trackbar adjusted so my axle is finally centered under the rig. This is a lot more than I would normally feel comfortable taking on by myself but I really needed to make some headway.

I don't know how I didn't have death wobble sooner... Axle wasn't centered, lca bushings were crap, minimal maintainence over the last 5 years, etc..

Tomorrow night I'm going to pick up a "band-aid" from Blondejon to get me through the weekend if dw comes back, torque everything, get it back on all 4s, and take it for a test drive. Man I can't wait to wheel again.

Yeah i got a couple stabilizers for ya.

Well she is back in all 4s as of last night with the rebuilt lower arms and adjusted trackbar to center my axle. Drive it around the block and had slight hints of dw.

Had my neighbor come over and turn the wheel while I looked at the front. Axle side trackbar mount bushing is bad even though it looked good and the stabilizer mount was loose. Tried tightening the mount but I stripped the bolt.

Blondejon responds to my facebook post and has both the rubicon express bushings and bolt mount! I can't thank him enough for getting my jeep back on the road. I wouldn't be making my bachelor party wheeling trip this weekend if it wasn't for his help with parts or knowing people that had the parts I needed.

Wow, Have not updated in a while.

So JeepinSeal, BlondeJon, my brothers and Dad all had a blast wheeling Slickrock for my Bachelor party.

Had a beautiful Wedding and Got the Wife all moved in here in Sacramento. Later went on our belated Honeymoon to Jamaca in December.

At some point I took the Hooptie Wagon to Hollister with JeepinSeal and made it to the top of Hollister Hills which was a blast. Later I sold the Wagon for $200 to Car Max which was a sad day but smog was due and I don't think it was going to pass.

I still have not got the head gasket replaced on my new 99 but I was able to bring the 92 MJ home without the wife actually killing me.

So now I need to get the MJ smoged (hopefully this weekend), get the 93 2 door running, then smoged, and sold, get the 99 head gasket replaced so I can drive it too.

So many projects and so little time.

OH, and I got my name changed on here! Woo

Geeze, Im getting too busy with work to actually update this thread....

So nothing has really changed in the last year with anything. The head still hasnt been replaced on the 99 but it is finally torn down, new head in my possession, and lots of new goodies bought and partially installed.

As for the Goose, the last year consisted of Renofest in May, Cantina for the Con in September, and a trip through Slickrock and Deer Valley in a day.

Now Im running out of time to get the Goose prepped for Reno again this year.. Need to fix the brakes and install a t-case skid.

Anyone want to come help with diagnosing my squishy peddle and swap out the rear master cylinders and or booster/master setup this weekend?

Still no pictures but last weekend between helping the wife paint our front door, I was able to get my t-case skid installed and the brakes fixed (I hope).

Im thinking that I am just not used to the XJ brakes anymore and they are actually fine.

Last bit of work needed is to swap shafts and fluid change.

did you inspect the front and rear calipers and wheel cylinders ? rear shoe adjustment? when you bled the system did you bleed it until no more air came out?

I replaced the rear wheel cylinders and bled the system til no air that I could see.

I can jack the front end tonight and see if I can rotate the tires with brakes compressed.

Ill let you drive it tomorrow night at the meet and see what you think.

Back