• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Rudolph

I bet the km2s and mtr/k's stop about the same. IMO it's all negligible with mud tires.

I love my MTR/K's so far. Never been a KM2 fan but have wheeling buddies who like them.

For a majority of the time I have had my MTR-k's I have DD'd my heep. Driven to Calico (1 year), and Big bear several years for So Cal fest on them, never a problem. Even made the trek to Moab, UT for the 30th Naxja anniv. a few years ago. Have driven to Hollister Hills several times as well. I have never had an issue with my MTR-k's. The only "problem" I have with them is, in sand they dig a bit, but that is due to the tread design and not a flaw of the specific tire. I live near the Oceano dunes, so that is mostly the terrain I run. I have over 30k miles (probably almost 40k, haven't check recently)on my tires and they are barely 50% tread life.

Most of the people that swear by or think KM2's are better probably have not tried MTR-k's.

I agree on the kevlars. I've run the 33, 35, and current 37. Its an aggressive tire. Handles rocks very well, rain is good. I cruise at 65 most of the time. I do disagree heavily on them balancing well. They don't, end of argument. They road force nicely though especially with steelies they will require significant weight. I would suggest balancing beads regardless on the mtr-ks. Don't get me wrong they they do drive OK for an off road tire on pavement. One thing I'm surprised no one mentioned is the weight difference. The mtr-ks are light compared to a lot of the competition. My 37 only weighs 69 pounds!

I bet the km2s and mtr/k's stop about the same. IMO it's all negligible with mud tires.

I love my MTR/K's so far. Never been a KM2 fan but have wheeling buddies who like them.

For a majority of the time I have had my MTR-k's I have DD'd my heep. Driven to Calico (1 year), and Big bear several years for So Cal fest on them, never a problem. Even made the trek to Moab, UT for the 30th Naxja anniv. a few years ago. Have driven to Hollister Hills several times as well. I have never had an issue with my MTR-k's. The only "problem" I have with them is, in sand they dig a bit, but that is due to the tread design and not a flaw of the specific tire. I live near the Oceano dunes, so that is mostly the terrain I run. I have over 30k miles (probably almost 40k, haven't check recently)on my tires and they are barely 50% tread life.

Most of the people that swear by or think KM2's are better probably have not tried MTR-k's.

I agree on the kevlars. I've run the 33, 35, and current 37. Its an aggressive tire. Handles rocks very well, rain is good. I cruise at 65 most of the time. I do disagree heavily on them balancing well. They don't, end of argument. They road force nicely though especially with steelies they will require significant weight. I would suggest balancing beads regardless on the mtr-ks. Don't get me wrong they they do drive OK for an off road tire on pavement. One thing I'm surprised no one mentioned is the weight difference. The mtr-ks are light compared to a lot of the competition. My 37 only weighs 69 pounds!

Thanks so much guys!! Well its decided, kevlars it is!

Jeep is finally fully back and running today!
Here is a pic of the rear drive shaft and a better pic of my headliner that i did.
89BB3536-7AAB-45B1-AD8A-19CE5BF6A194_zps8ryuoctv.jpg

E0A2CE06-6667-474D-869F-84593A495C6F_zpsmam2j75g.jpg

Nice build so far like what your doing! I ran the IRO kit before my axle swap and 3 link that kit is beef, defainaily cut the old mounts off. Also I had the exact same problem with my RR SYE I'm glad someone was able to help point that out for you. As for the tires I'm running the KM2 and had Kevlar prior too them.... Kevlar win it hands down as mentioned KM2 have thinner side walls and do not stop as well in rain that's for sure, I will be getting the Kevlar tires soon back on my rig as I'm going to 37 keep up the good work love what your doing

On side note I just ordered the boostwerks shift kit awesome kit easy and doesn't kick out of 4LO anymore

Just my 2 cents worth. I daily my mtr's all the time. The jeep really is my dd. As mentioned earlier, 70 to 75 really does seem to be an ideal speed on the freeway with these tires. I've been running them since 2012 and put about 9k miles on them. The tread is still at about 18/32". Never had an issue in either wet or dry, but haven't tried snowy/icy roads yet since there hasn't been enough of either for awhile.

Dang guys theres a ton of stuff that has happened to the jeep in the past month! Here are some pics!

Some km2s (33x12.5 on 3.5in bs) I wanted to go with kevlars, but they were on backorder everywhere I checked for 3 months!!! Maybe they are coming out with a new one soon?.?.?
Could barely fit the new tires in my trunk!

Painted the grill to make it a little meaner!

Some wheeling pics from Frank Raines! Got pretty far up the creek without lockers! Need to push further when I get a winch. Also hit the mud pit!

Some pics from carnegie last week doing flex tests. That night I went out and bought an angle grinder to cut my fenders, so that should be happening this week.

The stance that kills ricers right here!

Next on the list is winch bumper and winch, then steering upgrade and lockers with regear!

Looks great and it is coming together quickly. Any plans to join us for Reno or Fresno runs?

Heck yea!! Reno run starts on Friday may 22nd right? And the Fresno run is Sierra Fest right?

This week I will be signing up for Reno run for sure, then depending on how much further I get on my build I will do Sierra Fest as well.

Looks like you are ready for anything the trail throws at you now. See you in Reno.

A637DCF9-C90C-4445-8EE9-C64DD0AA5394_zpsdtaxqidj.jpg

Picture of the two whips
BB6ED46E-3E82-4F2B-BB07-A13B3A6115CF_zpsfdl3s0jb.jpg

Tailpipe was grinding down the shackle and bolt, so i decided to cut it off....
802B2454-6590-4A5C-89FA-6655B8D3AFF3_zpsi9ii7xzb.jpg

but then it started to melt the bushing, so this is my quick fix this morning before work. Anyone have any recommendations on where i should cut the exhaust so it wont melt anything?

I say bend it down more..

run a turn down like casey said or run it all the way back past the shackle avoiding the shackle bolt.

I say bend it down more..

run a turn down like casey said or run it all the way back past the shackle avoiding the shackle bolt.

Thanks guys!! And i think im going to weld in a turn down later today. Looks like a trip to autozone to me!

Ohh and as a side note, im making a write up on how to install headrests in the back seat of the xj! And yes they will be removable :)

glad to see this thing coming together. Nice rig!

So today was day 1 of putting in back seat head rests! Here are some pics:
8929E55D-241D-46A0-9B34-CCCBD8009069_zpsyreyy8ln.jpg

Part of a ZJ rear seat.
3DA5EC9E-FF98-47AB-BB7A-5CE8DE79C717_zpsa090aobz.jpg

You have to cut around all the tack welds holding in the bar
E292CF1B-3009-4049-B4CA-5FFE57CB40F3_zpsrkthoxsx.jpg

Grinding away
E9976664-5E32-487B-BA63-9BB8EDF09303_zpssxtisfu8.jpg

cut a little too deep on some parts of this one, second one I did a much better job.
7F1EB807-DD32-4A02-99BB-20955346AB68_zpsifankstq.jpg

Prepairing the tac weld. Didnt fit the first time, you have to space the bar about 1in away from the lip on the seat pan.
410C651A-8129-43D5-A108-735D2F836A58_zps1h7ygwrw.jpg

Welding action
FDF7D1AC-3958-4BC9-84A2-D7F26BE3062F_zpso7wq87io.jpg

Inserted the plastic pieces
E5A3904A-E392-496A-BD66-A837FA390708_zpsjrikh5kl.jpg

Test fit was good!! Now I just have to weld in the other side!

What a good idea and you pulled it off and made it look like it was not a custom job.

What a good idea and you pulled it off and made it look like it was not a custom job.

Thanks!! I was hoping for the OEM look!

Back