• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Rudolph

What weight oil do you usually run with friction modifier?

From what I have seen in working on vehicles, most any LSD equipped axles spec is 75w-140 + friction modifier. I run the Amsoil 75W-110 because one of my friends is an Amsoil dealer, and so I can run it front and rear.
Unless you run a Full syn that states "No modifier required" , definitely run the LSD goop. Even running a full syn + the LSD goop isn't a bad thing.

From what I have seen in working on vehicles, most any LSD equipped axles spec is 75w-140 + friction modifier. I run the Amsoil 75W-110 because one of my friends is an Amsoil dealer, and so I can run it front and rear.

Unless you run a Full syn that states "No modifier required" , definitely run the LSD goop. Even running a full syn + the LSD goop isn't a bad thing.

Thank you for a solid answer!

valvoline does not come with the friction modifier! call them and talk to an actual engineer.

the modifier is there from the factory to make vehicles more street friendly - cater to the average Joe who doesn't ever wheel a jeep. you can buy a tube of it . some auto places even actual carry it.

clutch packs in a LSD die over time. Kevin, in your example, its from beating the snot out of your rig, not the fact that you did not add the modifier, which was NOT in the valvoline you bought.

I would not run it in a vehicle you wish to offroad .

I also would not plan to run a factory LSD for too long, even rebuilding the clutch packs and adding more clutches wont do much.

The LSD additive is not needed.

I have been Not running LSD additive in every LSD diff I have owned over the last 15 years, I have broke a lot of crap, but not a LSD. Also, don't forget , that LSD in your 44 is probably almost 30 years old, so rebuild the clutches, and then run no LSD additive. Best choice is to get rid of the LSD carrier and swap in a detroit/grizzly.

When i regear the lsd is going away, so might as well save $ and not get the additive

174718297ad4ff124f5b8712dc5d2171.jpg

X2 on running 80-90 wt with NO friction modifier. It's what West Coast Diff recommended when I told them I wanted more agressive with my LSD. It's still not even agressive. I never notice it on street. Doesnt chatter. I only feel it if im trying to get it to engage. I'm Running the same axle as you, D44 with a freshly rebuilt Trac Lok.

Last edited:
X2 on running 80-90 wt with NO friction modifier. It's what West Coast Diff recommended when I told them I wanted more agressive with my LSD. It's still not even agressive. I never notice it on street. Doesnt chatter. I only feel it if im trying to get it to engage. I'm Running the same axle as you, D44 with a freshly rebuilt Trac Lok.

Sweet!!! Looks like ill be stoping by the store to pick up some 80-90wt!

What West Coast Diff told me was to not use friction modifier if I wanted it to be more agressive. He said that it might make a little noise when turning or engaging (but it actually hasn't) and that the noise isn't hurting anything. I had them regear my 44 and rebuild the LSD. He also added a couple shims to make the clutches tighter too.
Basically, everything Blondejoncherokee said, was told to me by west coast diff too.
Also, make sure the 80-90wt you use doesn't have a modifier in it

valvoline does not come with the friction modifier! call them and talk to an actual engineer.

Interesting, I just saw the "Limited Slip" on the bottle and figured it had it in there. But additive or not, the rear end quieted down significantly when I switched from Non-limited slip to "limited slip" fluid

clutch packs in a LSD die over time. Kevin, in your example, its from beating the snot out of your rig, not the fact that you did not add the modifier, which was NOT in the valvoline you bought.

lol yeah thats likely the culprit! Cant blame the lack of modifier but it still makes me wonder if having it would have changed anything. We may never know though haha.

But Aaron, if you're going to re-gear anyways and throw a locker in there at the same time, I probably wouldn't bother with the modifier.

Interesting, I just saw the "Limited Slip" on the bottle and figured it had it in there. But additive or not, the rear end quieted down significantly when I switched from Non-limited slip to "limited slip" fluid

lol yeah thats likely the culprit! Cant blame the lack of modifier but it still makes me wonder if having it would have changed anything. We may never know though haha.

But Aaron, if you're going to re-gear anyways and throw a locker in there at the same time, I probably wouldn't bother with the modifier.

Locker is going in the front, rear will end up being open :( cant use the current traclok carrier with 4.88 gears, so i will end up putting in an open one.

I've got 4.88s in my D44 with traclok. You just buy the Thick 4.88's.
I'm running the factory XJ D44, originally had 3.55s with trackok. I'm using the same traclok, just thick cut gears. They're about the same price. It does pretty good for not being a full locker. Defenitely grabs and takes me up stuff.

Where is that v8 going?

yeah it kinda does actually.

Back