• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project New Gen Comanche

That's very cool of ya to offer those, well maybe........ :D

But I think sticking to the SBC plan will keep things more affordable and I wouldn't have to study up on AMC specs & tech and whatnot......... unless you wanna volunteer as the mechanic..... :laugh:

That's very cool of ya to offer those, well maybe........ :D

But I think sticking to the SBC plan will keep things more affordable and I wouldn't have to study up on AMC specs & tech and whatnot......... unless you wanna volunteer as the mechanic..... :laugh:

Pit crew time!

SBC does sound more reasonable than AMC. You kind of have to be a masochist to run those damn things. Whatever you go with it needs to "make some steam" as the mags say. Why not find yourself an old Procharger sized to put 18 psi to a 4.0?

Yeah..... I don't wanna be the guy that boosts a 4.0 ....... And then splatters oil and rod caps all over the track....... :nono:

So are you planning on swapping out the entire dash too?

Nope. Wouldn't work with the Renix era engine/management and wiring. The only reason to swap the dash at this point would be if I were to upgrade to '97+ drivetrain and OBDII.

If this becomes an actual drag-only truck, then I suppose a dash swap with aftermarket gauges would work out ok.

Right now it's entertaining me looking into the feasability of swapping in a V8, stripping it down and running it down the 1/4........ Realistically...... I'll probably abandon the race truck idea and at a minimum, swap in 4x4 parts....... and sell it. :dunno:

Christmas came EARLY! :yelclap:

HUGE THANK YOU to Eric (SlightlyStoopid) for hunting me down and forcing me to purchase his crappy little MJ......

I will say this with only the slightest reservation....... but THIS MJ is THE keeper. They don't get much better than this.

'91 Eliminator 4x4 4.0/5 speed....... with WORKING A/C. :thumbup:

Absolutely the cleanest MJ I've owned and will likely ever own. Eric got it from the original owner and only had it a month when a family member gave him a Tacoma so he had to sell the MJ.

Here's the interesting part....... this truck has 250K miles on it. It runs good and shifts like a rig with 100K on it. No oil leaks, no odd noises. Body is in near perfect shape, but it has been repainted once - the painter masked off the decals so instead of being able to catch a fingernail on the decal, you catch it on the edge of the paint around the decal. Pretty badly faded on the top surfaces but might buff out ok. The interior is in excellent condition and the dash isn't cracked.....

This one WILL NOT be getting a '97+ update...... I like it just like it is. A 2" budget boost and some 30" AT's on my favorite Agate Icons, fix the saggy headliner, replace the rusty front bumper, fix some small rusty spots in the floor boards, spray in bedliner, and it'll be good to go.

By by little red Sonoma. A new DD is in town..... :D

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

Last edited:
That is beautiful. The only possible thing I would add is an external slave AX15 (no big deal) and maybe a rear 44 off a metric ton and a front off a venezuelan package, both mostly for completeness/bragging rights. Oh, and power windows if those were ever available on the MJ from the factory...

You found a damn nice truck, that's my absolute favorite package, windows, seats, drivetrain, interior, the whole nine yards. And if I'm not seeing things, a 100% straight stock rear bumper.

I will have a D44 for this one, but I'll have to re-gear it (4:56's) or trade it with someone who has a stock one with 3:07's.

If/when it needs a clutch I'll definitely be swapping internal for external...... I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a low-mile '91-'95 and transplant the engine/trans/t-case, but this truck surprisingly runs exceptionally well. I think the engine shows a little fatigue but you should see the emissions test Eric got a month ago....... super clean.

It's got a new serp belt, and complete tune up, oil change all within the past few months. Previous owner said it has a problem with dying when it's real hot outside. Doesn't seem to be getting overheated, so it's likely a sensor. I noticed a melted/burned section of the CPS wiring so I'll likely change that first off.

Yeah, I suppose the title is incorrect for this MJ......... but I still have that '88 with the swap done to it....... :shhh:

I will have a D44 for this one, but I'll have to re-gear it (4:56's) or trade it with someone who has a stock one with 3:07's.

I'd look to getting a set of 3.55:1 axles. I had those in my old five speed Chief with 30s and it was about perfect.

I'd look to getting a set of 3.55:1 axles. I had those in my old five speed Chief with 30s and it was about perfect.

Hadn't even thought of that...... maybe a good idea. Thanks for reminding me! :thumbup:

Nice truck, Troy!

I put the 3.55 axles from Cindy's jeep in my '94 with the AX-15 and stockish tires, and I think it's perfect, too.

Back