• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project mammoth 40s tons bobbed and boated

My original plan was to keep the doors and boat as high as I could. If you go to the bottom of the window you have to cut and move up the lower door hinges. But if you keep it below that, it's still a good amount of clearance. I was going to keep doors and all that, but with what I plan to do with this jeep I really did not want glass in the doors shattering and having to be replaced. So there was no sence in keeping doors. I have a CJ5 with no doors or top and am use to weather wheeling so this won't bother me. I'm trying to get this finished to make the Dakota Challenge in it this year. I have gone the past two years and rode with my buddy in his TJ on 42s and tons. So hoping to still make that happen.

Got most of the one side tonight with a ton of help from my two good buddies. 2x4 all welded in and down bars as well. Did the cross bridge pieces out of 1.5 .250 wall DOM to add just a little more strength to it. Then cut the inside fill piece out of 1/8" since I had it laying around a burned it all in. Will seal all the way around it before all said and done. We tossed in a mastercraft seat I had laying around and I have plenty of head room. With the seat resting on the inside plate I have 5" from my head to the roof. So will be able to move the seat higher and I'm 5 11 even. Came up with a cool idea for the front cap on the boat to but will have to wait for that.

maybe I missed it but what are your plans for the rear suspension? I assume coilovers like the front? Where is the upper mount going to be? I like the build so far.

Thanks rockdrummer, I'm trying to keep up on it as much as I can and keep people interested in it.

Progress from this week, got all of the boatside welded in and plated, then got the rear suspension mounts all heavy tacked on so I can move the jeep around and start on the passenger side. Welded in some tubing to fix mount the rear to move.

The plan for the rear is to run 16" fox air shocks I just picked up. They will attach threw the tub to the cage. The upper mount is built into a crossmember which has the lowers attached to it as well. Upper brackets are about two inches inside the frame rail. Because of how low it sits and how flat the uppers are I had to cut the floor to allow the uppers to come into the cab. Hope that answers your questions civic50. The crossmember is actually a TNT XJ rear 4 link crossmember I had laying around. Just very modified and beefed up. It's a great crossmember to start with

Looks good so far!

What do you have planned for the sides (above the boat sides)? Are you going to leave it open or build something in the opening?

I was original planning to do some sort of door bar, but with how small the opening has gotten now I think I'm going to make a tube door and skin it with the Cherokee door panels.

If you do a fixed door bar, a removable steering wheel will be a big help. I'm not all that flexible anymore, but I get in pretty easily over the buggy sides and into the high bolstered suspension seat with it removed. There's no way I'd be getting in and out of mine without the wheel coming out of the way.

For reference, bottom my door bar is just about where the body line is in the door skin / fender. 22" from the rain gutter to top of bar. It leaves plenty of room to get in.

Back