• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Downward Spiral

Look Ma' no stands in the rear! :D

Pictures are kinda self explanatory. The rear is sitting about 1.5" high. :(
I'm hoping once I add more than 3 gal of fuel and put the interior in most of that will be lost. Myself just sitting on the rear I can gain about half it back.

RearComplete2.jpg

RearComplete3.jpg

RearComplete4.jpg

RearComplete.jpg

dude, you are CLOSE! nice! :clap:

Wait...is the front axle on jackstands, or is it hanging with only the stands under the frame?

If the latter is the case, the engine & axle weights are cantilevered over the front, which will shift your weight distribution forward. It won't sit "true" until it's supported at the actual spring locations.

Wait...is the front axle on jackstands, or is it hanging with only the stands under the frame?

If the latter is the case, the engine & axle weights are cantilevered over the front, which will shift your weight distribution forward. It won't sit "true" until it's supported at the actual spring locations.

x2 i was thinking the same thing.... even if the front axle was on stands its not bearing full weight it looks like.... it looks like sitting properly on all fours it will sit just fine

dude, you are CLOSE! nice! :clap:
I know. :)

Ahh! :doh: I knew I was over tired; going to bed after 2am for the last 2 weeks is getting the better of me. Thank you, now I won't loose any sleep thinking I messed up with coil spring rates. ;)
The front axle is on stands, but there is no weight on those springs up there. They are just hanging out.

So, if you don't get to give it a test run this weekend, I'd like to let you know that you're welcome to reserve me for the 5th you-know-where for a shakedown run :) Hell I wanna wheel with you anyway, so we should go on the 5th regardless. And if it IS done by Saturday, you should come to Gretchen's :thumbup:

Bill, while I may be wheeling mine when not broke your's is 10x's better looking and probably more capable! Lookin good dude!

Bill, Holy crap that thing looks so bad ass. I Need to see this thing, and soon. Can't wait until its done.

someone please god email me the pictures. I can't see them at work :(

edit: thanks ken!

Last edited:
:yelclap::yelclap::yelclap::yelclap::yelclap:

looks so much better with tires under it!

(this thread should now be renamed Project Upward Spiral...)

Anthony - if you haven't gotten em yet, what's your email? think I had it at one point but I seem to have lost it

:party:

I think there are a lot of subtleties that help make it look awesome, like the angled support from the hitch receiver to the ends of the frame rails you made.

:thumbup:

The red cage is cool.... the rest... meh...

JK, Looks AWESOME Bill!!! party1:party1:

I can't wait to see how it works!!

Don't forget to break a beer over its "helm" before you put it on the trailer...:laugh:

A.

Don't forget to break a beer over its "helm" before you put it on the trailer...:laugh:

A.
Nooo, then the whole thing will fall apart, and he'll just be standing there with a pile of Jeep parts, an intact bottle of beer, and a tear in his eye.

What is up with the rear axle limit straps?

From the image, it looks like limited down travel. I see you mentioned it is sitting 1.5" but still it doesn't seem like much down travel.

Bill's deffiently in the right town to find the perfect beer to do that, I just dont think he'd wanna waste any of it.

mmmm.......country ale, although i know Bill will find something better :D

I'm not going to quote you all but thanks for the comments!
The red cage is cool.... the rest... meh...

JK, Looks AWESOME Bill!!! party1:party1:
You can thank Angel for that one. I was going to do black until she talked me out of it. Now I'm really glad I went with the red.
I can't wait to see how it works!!

A.
Neither can I!
I don't want to get it dirty! :laugh:
What is up with the rear axle limit straps?

From the image, it looks like limited down travel. I see you mentioned it is sitting 1.5" but still it doesn't seem like much down travel.
The pictures must be a little deceiving. I can assure you that at ride height the straps limit it at ~6" of droop leaving a little left before the coil over reaches its travel. At least they did when I mocked them up. ;)
I have a set of clevis on the top mounts in the rear it is entirely possible that the sharpie mark I put on them during mockup wasn't in the right location when I mounted them up last night. I will double check.
Thank you for pointing that out.

He needs some Ryde on his ride.

:D
:laugh:

Nooo, then the whole thing will fall apart, and he'll just be standing there with a pile of Jeep parts, an intact bottle of beer, and a tear in his eye.
at least he'd be able to drink his sorrows away

Looks awesome Bill! I'm glad it's finally all coming together for you. Do you have any more shots of the front axle by any chance? Particularly from the front? I want to see it in all it's beauty. :kissyou:

Scott

Back