• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Downward Spiral

well when you do get it running you gotta post a clip of that spin tech! i have always wanted to know how they sound behind a 4.0 and cant seem to find one anywhere
I shall. I'm dieing to get this thing moving pistons again. :)
nope :moon:
Haha... fine swing on by then. I won't be around part of the day as I have to pick up the wife at the airport. Chances are you'll come when I'm not home. :moon:

Haha... fine swing on by then. I won't be around part of the day as I have to pick up the wife at the airport. Chances are you'll come when I'm not home. :moon:

Im gunna show up with him and youll come home to the skeleton of a xj. thanks for telling us when we wont have to worry about seeing you there :thumbup:

Im gunna show up with him and youll come home to the skeleton of a xj. thanks for telling us when we wont have to worry about seeing you there :thumbup:

:thumbup:
:firedevil

Jessie Haines (the guy who responded over there) really knows his stuff...

Took 1st place 2 years in a row in WeRock Unlimited class, has a bunch of rigs, works at TorchMate in Reno now, used to work at BadLandsOffRoad (the shop in Attica, IN that made some of the coolest rigs of the day)...

And a really nice guy.

I say run a spacer, and make sure you have locktite on the bolts

Get a friend with a lathe to turn one out for ya to exactly what you need, or buy the Mr. Gasket piece...

I like that its precision ground... .160 seems kinda thick though if you're even close at .126 of carrier shims... but I guess backing out the pinion shims should make that work..

Jessie Haines (the guy who responded over there) really knows his stuff...

Took 1st place 2 years in a row in WeRock Unlimited class, has a bunch of rigs, works at TorchMate in Reno now, used to work at BadLandsOffRoad (the shop in Attica, IN that made some of the coolest rigs of the day)...

And a really nice guy.

I say run a spacer, and make sure you have locktite on the bolts

Get a friend with a lathe to turn one out for ya to exactly what you need, or buy the Mr. Gasket piece...

I like that its precision ground... .160 seems kinda thick though if you're even close at .126 of carrier shims... but I guess backing out the pinion shims should make that work..
Looks like I'll trust his opinion then. :thumbup:

I could make one on the lathe myself but for the ~$39 I might as well just grab the Mr. G one. Plus it comes with new ring gear bolts which I'd have to get anyway. If it ends up being to thick (I am hoping not) I can throw it on the surface grinder and bring it down some. Its not really that close, if I had to guess the backlash is close to 1/8". Haha.

It just stinks cause I ordered the thick ones for a reason. Now because someone didn't put the right ones in the box I got to waste a whole day messing with it and end up spending more money.

Oh well. I'll keep looking forward. ;)
Im not gunna help you cause you didnt invite me to help set up HP60 gears.

.!.:D.!.
Pssh... :moon:

Last edited:
Well no need to worry about a spacer or whatnot. Ron from Motive Gear / TEN Factory really stepped it up and provided a level of service I just didn't expect.
On its was is a new set of gears and bearings!

Anyone looking for gears, bearings, shafts, whatever make sure you give Motive / TEN Factory a call!
These guys really know what it means to provide customer service!

you have proven time and time again that supporting the little guy pays for itself in the end.

Well no need to worry about a spacer or whatnot. Ron from Motive Gear / TEN Factory really stepped it up and provided a level of service I just didn't expect.

Anyone looking for gears, bearings, shafts, whatever make sure you give Motive / TEN Factory a call!

Did you pimp the site? Or are they a vendor already?

Ron is the man!!
Billy

Ron is the man!!
Billy
He is!
I got the gears and bearings in the other day. They look great.

Totally different note:
So... lesson learned again tonight. :(

After doing some talking with a few people I was convinced into clocking my t-case up to aid with the flat belly. Colin (MoparManiac) was nice enough to offer me a 'new' AW4 output that had already been drilled for the new position. It wasn't going to be any work to swap it in and have my t-case higher. So I thought...

Turns out that the modifications I made to the floor to get me Beard seats in the place low enough where I needed them to be ('cause I'm a tall dude) stops the t-case from coming up. That combined with the new crossmember that raises the drive train up means I currently have about 5/8" between the floor and the t-case. This obviously stops me from clocking the case without extensive floor modifications and redoing all the seat mounts again.

So it looks like I won't have an entirely flat belly. :( The sides will taper down and the center will be parallel with the ground. Similar in shape to a DPG rock attack belly skid, just much less steep and mounted much different. It means I'll end up losing about an inch of clearance in the center.

Since I want to get wheeling soon I'm going to have to settle for that. If/when the NP231 gets swapped out for something with a higher bling factor, I'll fix the issues and flatten out the belly.

So the lesson?
For anyone doing a build, get the drain train done first. Then fit everything else to it. Otherwise you'll end up with problems like this. :doh:

So the lesson?
For anyone doing a build, get the drain train done first. Then fit everything else to it. Otherwise you'll end up with problems like this. :doh:
good to know :gee: but it's kinda what i planned on doing. those had better be some sweet seats.

those had better be some sweet seats.
They are! :thumbup:
I really wish I had run the mounts differently. I have way to many hours into something stupid simple like seat mounts as it is already. I've already changed them once because I did something dumb, I'm not doing it again now until after I get it wheeling.

the drain train

Sounds like the line for the bathroom at the bar tonight. .!.:D.!.

I had (have) the same issues on mine. I'd love to put suspension seats in it but the t-case will be up the passenger's ass if I do it without changing anything else...just not enough roof height inside to clear everything.

In the next few months I hope to completely cut out the redundant interior A- and B-pillar stuff, which will make for some more headroom, which will allow better seats. Building around the hard plastic seats really screwed me over, but at least I have a flat belly. :gag:

At least I know now instead of wasting a whole drive up on Saturday :D

Any pics of your exhaust work? Heard the welds were sweet :D
Haha... yeah.

Good point, I forgot to type about the exhaust.
For those that don't know already, I've been working on the exhaust during the weeknights this week. I've managed to snake the 2.5" exhaust all that way back. The muffler itself is going to live directly above the upper links. It is SUPER tight up there upon full bump, but everything clears. I try to snap some pictures if I remember tonight.

Sounds like the line for the bathroom at the bar tonight. .!.:D.!.
:laugh3:
I had (have) the same issues on mine. I'd love to put suspension seats in it but the t-case will be up the passenger's ass if I do it without changing anything else...just not enough roof height inside to clear everything.

In the next few months I hope to completely cut out the redundant interior A- and B-pillar stuff, which will make for some more headroom, which will allow better seats. Building around the hard plastic seats really screwed me over, but at least I have a flat belly. :gag:
Yup, live and learn. Oh well, just means we both have things to change later.

Well it took most of the day by myself, but the front axle is now locked and geared. :woohoo:

I ended up with 5.5-6 thou backlash and 21 in/lbs pinion preload on the new bearings.

I snapped some pictures of the pattern I will load them later. It's just to nice outside to sit by the computer, I'm headed out for a fire. :)

Alright... a few pictures.

The gear setup pictures didn't come out at all, so ya'll have to trust me that pattern is good. ;)

Aside from that, the new parts that have showed up in the past few days.

Thanks again to Ron @ Motive/Ten Factory, I used these up front:
MotiveGearParts.jpg

Some exhaust and cooling system parts. The J-Bends were cut up and allowed me to route the exhaust without a bunch of clamps and weird angled pieces. The header wrap will cover the entire exhaust from the down pipe to the tip since it is so close to the floor. The adhesive backed heat shield will find a home above the muffler. I know the B&M cooler is a bit much for the trans, but for the extra little bit of money over a junkyard bit, it will be worth it. I also picked up some other fittings for the fuel system.
ExhaustCoolerParts.jpg

Here's how some of the bends in the exhaust ended up coming out. I had a picture from underneath but I deleted it rather than renaming it when I went to upload. :eek: I'll take another later. Here's a shot from the back bumper with the axle at full bump. As you can see it gets rather close, but it fits. Oh, I know the welds aren't the prettiest either, but my butt welding sheet metal skills are getting better. :laugh3:
ExhaustRouting1.jpg

A few pages back there was a discussion about axle tube seals. I ended up picking up the correct stock replacements and put those in. I also picked up the D60 outer axle seals as well. I know some of you don't see a need, but I'd rather be safe than have a bunch of grass and muck in my tubes.
D60OuterAxleSeals.jpg

Today was such a nice day out I decided it was a good time to get some odds and ends done. I spent most of the day on stuff not worth typing or taking pictures of, but I did finally coat the tops of the rockers and the "bed" with some Rustoleum truck bed coating. I was very pleased with how it applied, I'm hoping it will hold up.
RearBedlined.jpg

Sometime between all the above I also got a cardboard mock of the cover that will seal back in the passenger floor. I'll make a removable patch in the top section so I can access the UCA bolt.
PassFloorCoverTemplate.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish up the last exhaust hanger and the tip. Then hopefully work begins on the belly pan.

Last edited:
Back