• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project 5.0 install begins today

To adjust the rockers, you bring each cylinder up to TDC. Then turn down the adjusting bolt until the push rod just begin to be hard to turn by hand. Then go another 3/4" turn past that to set the preload.

What pushrods are you using, or did I miss that?

Also in the image below the adjusting bolt on the rocker closest to the camera is too far out. If it is actually adjusted like that you need longer push rods. I really hope in that picture you were just playing with them. If they are in fact adjusted correctly like that someone botched your head job and all the valve stems are at different heights.

DSCF0026.jpg

That is before we did anything to them. Actually we had some pizza dilivered and the kid who brought the food actually knew how to do it better than us!.... go figure on that one?!

gradon said:
The switch is a lot cheaper than you think.

not for 15hp.

I am looking at for what would give me value for each dollar spent. At this point there is no motor upgrade that will give me any signifigant value beyond what I have. Any changes will impact less than 5% power or torque at this point. Now re-doing the exuast and getting a new air filter will help me though.
You have to remember this motor pretty much has all the goodies you want done to a stroker inside, I am not even spinning a mechanical fan.

If I go to a new intake, it will be one I design and build. I have one on the drawing board right now and will flesh it out in September. Basically it is a tuned port design that is purpose designed for a stroker and the air it needs to be fed.

New cat, muffler, intake pipe and filter are ordered buddy. i'll get exhaust pipe at o'Reilly's ... but, can we PLEEEEEEASE end before midnight ?!?!?!?!

Stuff should be here tomorrow (maybe ... BIG maybe this afternoon).

mk153smaw said:
Switching to the '99 intake would invole spending alot more money on converting to a newer computer, sensors, linkages for throtles, new TB, ect... It adds up and it is just not worth 15hp for me when I have already added over 200hp from internal upgrades.

You dont need a new computer sensors etc... as long as you get everything for the intake from the donor vehicle, its basically just a bolt in... You have to do some work to the PS bracket, but thats it... That is of course if your using a 91+ head... if not and your using a RENIX head (which i sure hope your not!) then yeah it would be alot of work because you would have to swap to a 91-95 head. But even then you dont need a new computer wiring etc... just an adapter for the TPS to mate up with the HO TB, TV Cable to the Tranny, and the throttle cable to the TB.

Why in the heck would you build a stroker with a piss poor RENIX flowing head anyway?
Im not trying to burst your bubble or flame you here, but unless some serious machine work was done to the head, then your losing alot of HP and torque in the head. Should have gone with a 7120...

Last edited:
Muad'Dib said:
Why in the heck would you build a stroker with a piss poor RENIX flowing head anyway?
Im not trying to burst your bubble or flame you here, but unless some serious machine work was done to the head, then your losing alot of HP and torque in the head. Should have gone with a 7120...

x2
Did you have any major port work done on it?

Dave will post up later ... but yes he did ... LOTS.

he does in fact have a renix head ... with LOTS of head work done.

Well it is nice to know that head work was done, but if anyone is considering doing the same thing, then its benefecial to toss the RENIX head, and go with a 7120 from a 91-95.
Less machine work would have to be done, and MUCH MUCH more options for aftermarket headers, the 99+ intake etc.

At least in this case the RENIX head probably isnt the limiting factor... but in MOST cases it is. It does suck though that you are forced to use a poor flowing, low volume intake, and a crappy exhaust design... When you could have the options for a 99+ intake, and some nice headers. Yes headers are available for the RENIX, but the design is still poor compared to 91+.

Last edited:
Normally I do not get into the flame stuff, but I highly respect Muad'Dib's, and other's, information from the stroker site. Yes, severe work and thought went into the renix core. A donor core was first sacraficed to the bandsaw god to be disected for a beter idea for runner thicknesses and bowl dimensions. The donor core was as much as an identicle head as possible, sourced with help from the machine shop and other knowledgeble sources, so as to have a good control point. I spent exausting hours crunching numbers and information to find out what is really different from each head all the way to present and made adjustments to the plan before any cutting into the runner was made. It may look like a renix head, but it does not flow like one. In fact there is no head made by jeep/mopar/ or anyone that flows like this one. It is definately not the best head out there, but it can be considered well built. I has all the best ideas, that can be used within the metal of the renix head, from all of the years the 4.0L was made. What does the renix head have going for it you say? It has alot of meat in the right places. Conversely it is weak in the exaust areas. So I have arched flow intakes, and flat flow exaust. each has its own characteristics made for this head and application.
Yes, money was spent. Armchair it all you want (that comment to those who have not built, but like to comment) this 5.0L is on the road.
For the Jeep stroker guys, I will see what I am going to post for numbers and what will remain as mine. I do plan to build and sell stuff, so there is reason why I will not disclose everything. Some items were built with the idea of repeatability in mind, not just for building it.

Also....... my old motor died a few months too early for this motor to have even been put on the engine stand, let alone in Battlewagon :( Hence alot of items I didn't want in it.

Yeah, the pacesetter headers I have now..... suck.

mk153smaw said:
Also....... my old motor died a few months too early for this motor to have even been put on the engine stand, let alone in Battlewagon :( Hence alot of items I didn't want in it.

I wouldn't say it died ... more like it had a cane and a colostomy bag and walked in circles mumbling to itself. Although, it did make it through Gilmer in 2wd !!!

And as Dave said, we did have to find some immediate fixes ... but we did stop short of duct taping the exhaust back together ...

It runs !!!

It is LOUD !!! (especially at 1130 pm ... oops)

It will flat get up on it !!! (with muffler and cat deleted)

I was not interested in a stroker ... after hearing it last night ... me want !!!

numbers will be forthcoming. most will be posted on the stroker site, but one disclaimer... I have to sit down with the machine shop and see what work they will be calling thiers and what will be called mine. At that point what is thiers is proprietary and up to them to give me permission to advertise. The stuff that is mine, which will be most of the math and the idea to use the renix heads. I don't see any issues, the guys I worked with are cool, but this is business and they are in business to keep thier investers happy.
I would like to make another and compare it to the Hesco and Edlebrock, or maybe the Alabama Cylinder Head Co just to see how it parralles. I am in no way saying it is better, I think I made something from off stock that performs like the top guys or close to them.

Not to be a jerk, but, in an effort to help you...
If you paid for the head work, the information is yours, and you deserve to have it. If you ever choose to have a custom cam ground for it, or decide to work the intake, or fab a custom header, or, just plain look for a good header, how will you know what to look for without having the head flow data?
For comparisson, I've had several sets of heads ported/bowled/valved for my 5.0(ford v-8) by several different shops, and the flow data was always provided without needing be asked for. I am not impressed if the shop thinks they own the head flow data.

At any rate, why the ti valves? and you did not mention bronze, or berillium/copper seats...

I think you did a good job and maxed out what you had-I shoulda said that 1st. Not too many people will ever be able to say they had, much less built, a 5.0 six-cylinder.

Back