• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem when replacing the Distributer Cap: HALP!

JpigXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So this afternoon after work i started working on replacing the spark plugs, wires, distributer cap, and roter. Spark plugs came out great, but the distributer cap fought with me, and now I've got a problem. Seen below.
So drenched the bolts with PB Blaster and waited a bit and started to take them out. The first one came out easy, the second one felt like it was too, then all of a sudden it was free.
Oh wait, this can't be I thought, there is no way the bolt is out. Well I was right, it wasn't out. So I was left with this little sump of trash left in there.
I went at it with my easy out: drilled a hole in there, and started to use the extractor. It didn't go so well as you can see.
Any ideas as to what to do now? I was thinking about maybe cutting the right hand portion and trying to use a flat head with a ratchet. But I'm worried that it will end up just bending the portion that is sticking up.
I'm at my wits end, please halp!

mail

Seriously?

I think he is. Those screws tend to turn to crap and seize, then break quite easily--seems to be a Jeep thing.

OP, can't see any pictures, you need to post them on another site like photobucket then copy the link and paste it here.

A blind shot would be for you to heat the remaining piece of the screw, then let it cool, then repeat a couple more times, then try to get a hold of it and twist it out.

When you put the new cap in consider a little anti-seize on the threads for next time.

IMG_4292_3.jpg

can you see this?

(edit: it worked, as far i can tell, YAY!)

So i should probably remove the cam shaft position sensor before i try and heat anything

Last edited:
OK so due to work this has taken a back seat for a bit but im back on it. The distributor is now not a problem, ended up breaking the damn body and bought a replacement one, installed it and the rotor/cap and got it all wired up.
Now the damn thing wont stay running.
It starts up and runs rough, then it will stall out. checked on here and looked at a few things, found a leak in the vacuum line and fixed that, hoping to solve the problem.
NOPE.
So I am now looking back over everything I've done.

The car is in the garage now, not driving it at all. A while ago I installed a throttle body spacer and had not tried running it since then. Could this be the cause of the stalling. [edit: as in i need to adjust the cable to account for the new height?, read about that but dont know how to check it, am still looking around on here just wanted to get this up and see if you all had any other ideas]

-Josh
98 XJ np242 aw4 30/8.25

Are you sure the wires went on the the correct order and location and that the dist was indexed correctly before inserting. Yes something could have gotten knocked out of [lace during the TB Spacer install. Not sure what cable you are adjusting...

The cable that normally needs adjusting after adding a spacer is the trans control valve- but given your problems with the ignition system, I would wager that your problem lies there.

Check the vacuum line to the MAP sensor off the throttle body, otherwise as the others said above possible dist off a bit or the wires wrong.

If none of the above you will have to ID the missing element and work from there.

If the bolts snap off, drill them out carefully and go with a through bolt and nut. I have done that and have not looked back. It seems no matter if I used a stainless screw that they would seize into the distributor plate if I drilled and retapped the hole.

Combination of dissimilar metals with a cheap lightweight screw, recipe for disaster and happens frequently.

THE ANSWER: anti-seize on the screws. A fraction of one cent's worth of anti-seize would have saved you.

Back