• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

prices 4 nacfest

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
when can we see prices for the paragon trip in june? is one day going to be paragon and another rausch? just feeling inquisitive

Prices will probably be comparable to last year, but it depends on whether or not we can get the same deal from Paragon. The advertised price is $35/day for the vehicle and driver, plus $5/person for passengers. We do the best we can to get a break, but they may or may not offer us the same price as last year.

We are still discussing how to incorporate Rausch Creek into NACFest. Information will be posted to the NACFest 2004 forum when available.

Hey Eagle i dont know about everyone else but having two parks would make Nac fest not that enjoyable. Yes two parks will let you see more trails and stuff like that but it would take allot of organization to make it work. Hell its hard enough to set a date for nac fest. If people would like to go to paragon and rausch creek then make two nac runs. Or a non official trailride the same time as the tellico trip to give people an option. There is no such thing as too many planed wheeling trips. Shoot out some dates early to give people the heads up so that they can plan things. Like nac fest working around tellico's dates, if we had planed nac fest earlier then we could have let tellico be planed around us! Why not plan next year with like 3 or 4 nac events, now?

Anyone else agree??

Pete

Well, Tellico is a National event (it was the XJ Fest for 2 yrs before we returned that back into a 'roving' summer event) that has been held every year on the the weekend after July 4th for four years now... don't expect that changed to suit a few 'maybe attenders' :)

SE Chapter usually does a spring run there as well as one Haloween weekend...not really 'formal' events, just friends showing up to wheel Tellico & socialize in a low-key semi-organized way, in a place that's glad to see us come visit.

As far as picking dates, seems to me if y'all could just set a date, or dates and stick with it... it'll be easier on folks who might want to attend, and become easier for the places you go to schedule you in... Switching dates all over the calendar and waiting for the last minute to solidify isn't productive IMHO.

If y'all schedule a Chapter event on a date that coincides with another event (NAXJA or otherwise) it only offers folks more choices of things to do...which isn't a bad thing IMHO.

PeterBuilt said:
Hey Eagle i dont know about everyone else but having two parks would make Nac fest not that enjoyable. Yes two parks will let you see more trails and stuff like that but it would take allot of organization to make it work. Hell its hard enough to set a date for nac fest. If people would like to go to paragon and rausch creek then make two nac runs. Or a non official trailride the same time as the tellico trip to give people an option. There is no such thing as too many planed wheeling trips. Shoot out some dates early to give people the heads up so that they can plan things. Like nac fest working around tellico's dates, if we had planed nac fest earlier then we could have let tellico be planed around us! Why not plan next year with like 3 or 4 nac events, now?

Anyone else agree??

Pete

I'm sure we will have other events at Rausch Creek during the year also. One of the reasons to consider splitting NACFest is that Paragon has gotten so overused that trails I used to be able to run in a stock XJ are now barely passable in the MJ with 4" of lift. Although I haven't managed to see Rausch Creek "up close and personal" yet, my spies tell me there are more true stock-level trails there.

Yes, I know Paragon still shows stock level trails on their maps, but the maps haven't been updated and the trail ratings are not realistic. Unless they have done a lot of trail repair and regrading since a year ago, there's not much at Paragon that a stock XJ can negotiate without severe risk of body and/or running gear damage.

woody said:
Well, Tellico is a National event (it was the XJ Fest for 2 yrs before we returned that back into a 'roving' summer event) that has been held every year on the the weekend after July 4th for four years now... don't expect that changed to suit a few 'maybe attenders' :)

SE Chapter usually does a spring run there as well as one Haloween weekend...not really 'formal' events, just friends showing up to wheel Tellico & socialize in a low-key semi-organized way, in a place that's glad to see us come visit.

As far as picking dates, seems to me if y'all could just set a date, or dates and stick with it... it'll be easier on folks who might want to attend, and become easier for the places you go to schedule you in... Switching dates all over the calendar and waiting for the last minute to solidify isn't productive IMHO.

If y'all schedule a Chapter event on a date that coincides with another event (NAXJA or otherwise) it only offers folks more choices of things to do...which isn't a bad thing IMHO.

It would be great to be able to pick a date and stick with it year after year. Unfortunately Paragon is not like Tellico where every weekend is open. Paragon is in great demand in the spring and summer and has large group events (hundreds of vehicles) on many of the weekends - and then there are the NeuROC competitions, corporate events, and Jeep Jamborees. We try to pick a date that has the fewest groups so we can run the trails we want to without waiting.

Picking the date 5 months ahead of time is not what I call “last Minute”, and we both know why I had to try to move the date back as far as I could.

I thought NACFest is a National event? If it isn’t, someone let us know so we don’t have to go through all this planning to put on a quality event for NAXJA. If this is just another NAC run we can just pick a date and say “We’ll be here all weekend, come on by if you want to”.

I don't think Woody meant that NAC FEST is not a National event. It is and we all know. I also understand that there are more secheduling conflicts with Paragon. My personal opinion is that as of Nov every year we should have the dates set for all National evets so can be listed in the Mags. They will be listed if we set the dates early enough.

Everybody's right. It's a big country folks - and a big club. NACFest is a national NAXJA event in the NorthEast that provides a "formal" gathering for the membership (as the Cherokee Crawl [formerly XJFest] located in the SouthEast has always done for NAXJA).

The Tellico event has always been on the weekend after the 4th and I would never expect that to change. After some experimentation, we feel that NACFest is best run at the beginning of June. Okay, so it's close to Tellico, and we would never plan a formal event to compete with another, so we regret that it causes some problems for the folks who would want to attend both events. But, there are enough NAXJA members in all areas of the country that, for other reasons, can only plan to attend one event - so there are plenty of attendees to go around. July is a good time in the Smokies and we think June is a good time in the Alleghennies (and October a good time in the Canyonlands?).

As for the Paragon - Rausch Creek dilemma. I think I have to comment a bit on Eagle's remarks - he leaves you with the impression that Paragon is not suitable for stock vehicles and Rausch is a stock park. PAP has plenty of stock trails in it's upper level. It's true that one of the main "stock" level entrance trails to get to mid park attractions has eroded a bit, but we expect that Paragon management will be looking into that. And as for Rausch - there are sections of that park (like Rock Creek) that Paragon would die for - RC can (as Paragon) be as hard, or as easy, as you want it to be.

We want to make NACFest as attractive as possible - especially for those who haven't been before. Granted - trying to organize stuff at both locations is probably going to be a headache, but we are going to at least try. Of course, if we don't get more volunteers for assistance - that's going to be a stretch.

Maybe we should have another "event" in the fall, but, maybe that puts us in competition with SE's Halloween Tellico thing and for those of us who have had a tendency to head for the desert that time of year! Decisions. Decisions! :D

Actually, it don't matter where you show up - just get there. All NAXJA events are a blast - Winterfest in a couple of weeks!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Any other event in Oct will not conflict with us in the SE...our Fall Flog is an informal Chapter event...Some where down the road we may host another National event at another park but right now we are not to that stage.

Mike in NJ said:
As for the Paragon - Rausch Creek dilemma. I think I have to comment a bit on Eagle's remarks - he leaves you with the impression that Paragon is not suitable for stock vehicles and Rausch is a stock park. PAP has plenty of stock trails in it's upper level. It's true that one of the main "stock" level entrance trails to get to mid park attractions has eroded a bit, but we expect that Paragon management will be looking into that. And as for Rausch - there are sections of that park (like Rock Creek) that Paragon would die for - RC can (as Paragon) be as hard, or as easy, as you want it to be.

I didn't mean to imply that Rausch Creek has only stock level trails. They do, indeed, offer a variety of trail levels. Sorry if I gave that impression.

All I'll say again is pick a date and hold it year after year. Help your facility accomodate you. If y'all waver, the For Profit places will book ya out. If they waver, tell them y'all schedule elsewhere. We're big enough to book a year ahead of time, so don't miss opportunities!

woody said:
All I'll say again is pick a date and hold it year after year. Help your facility accomodate you. If y'all waver, the For Profit places will book ya out. If they waver, tell them y'all schedule elsewhere. We're big enough to book a year ahead of time, so don't miss opportunities!

If'n you think it's that easy, come on up to NACFest and YOU tell the lads at Paragon what date you want for next year. See if you can do any better than we do.

Believe me, we would like to just pick a weekend and have it automatically fall on the same weekend every year. Paragon won't do that. Maybe if we drew as many vehicles for NACFest as we get at Moab they might, but as of now they will not. We may think we're big, but to Paragon we're not.

So let's get more people and more XJs to NACFest this year, so we have some leverage in future negotiations.

Eagle said:
I'm sure we will have other events at Rausch Creek during the year also. One of the reasons to consider splitting NACFest is that Paragon has gotten so overused that trails I used to be able to run in a stock XJ are now barely passable in the MJ with 4" of lift. Although I haven't managed to see Rausch Creek "up close and personal" yet, my spies tell me there are more true stock-level trails there.

Yes, I know Paragon still shows stock level trails on their maps, but the maps haven't been updated and the trail ratings are not realistic. Unless they have done a lot of trail repair and regrading since a year ago, there's not much at Paragon that a stock XJ can negotiate without severe risk of body and/or running gear damage.
Really? I was just at Paragon back in September with Stroker, Skorpyo, and a few others, and I got around just fine with my stocker. Unfortunately, I can't remember what trails we went on (I think we did Cherokee Ridge, but that's the only name that I can think of) but the guys were great about finding stuff I could get through (admittedly, I did take a bypass or two), even though I was the only stocker that day. Maybe they did fix things up since you last were there.

I will say this, though - I was VERY glad I had all three skidplates - the transfer case plate alone was worth its weight in gold that day. I did take one small dent to the rear of the driver's side rocker panel, but aside from that I'm pleased to say I got out unscathed. I think I'll add rocker armor before venturing off-road again, but that's just because I like my rig without body damage. :)

Rob

That's the point, Rob. My stocker doesn't have skid plates (working on that), and body damage is not acceptable. I may be in a minority, but IMHO when you rate a trail "Stock" it should be passable by a STOCK (no armor) vehicle without damage.

Eagle said:
That's the point, Rob. My stocker doesn't have skid plates (working on that), and body damage is not acceptable. I may be in a minority, but IMHO when you rate a trail "Stock" it should be passable by a STOCK (no armor) vehicle without damage.

"without damage"...or without the possibility of damage?

There's too many variables in traveling down a trail that'll determine whether or not a driver will negotiate said trail without incurring damage. Be it driver error,condition of trail/obstacle,weather,experience of spotter etc.

Is there a specific trail at PAP your refering to? Valley?,.. perhaps at the hill below Cherokee ridge?

John B said:
"without damage"...or without the possibility of damage?

There's too many variables in traveling down a trail that'll determine whether or not a driver will negotiate said trail without incurring damage. Be it driver error,condition of trail/obstacle,weather,experience of spotter etc.

Is there a specific trail at PAP your refering to? Valley?,.. perhaps at the hill below Cherokee ridge?

Without possibility of damage would exclude I-80 through much of western PA. No, I mean that a stock-rated trail should be capable of being negotiated by a reasonably competent driver in a completely stock vehicle without incurring body or mechanical damage.

Hey guys, I'm new to all this event stuff. I haven't tried to plan one but it does sound like it can be a pain in the a$$ some times. From what I have read, you NAC guys are having alot of trouble finding an open or less busy weekend for the NACFest at Paragon. You also have been trying to include Rausch Creek in there somehow. My sugesstion would be switching the two around. Make Rausch Creek be for NACFest and Paragon be an alternate trip later in the year. This idea probably isn't new but may be worth a try. what can you loose? If it doesn't work you'll still have the same trouble back at Paragon. Maybe you would have better luck working with the owner/operator of Raush Creek. Maybe let them know how much trouble you're having and ask them what they could do to help out. Maybe volunteer for trail repair/cleanup weekend in exchange for low rates or lock in dates for wheeling.
I don't want my ideas to come off as "easy" but, if dealing with Paragon is too hard then maybe try something else. Anyway Good luck. Phil

rockreadyxj said:
Eagle whats with worry about body damage you have your own personal Junk Yard.

You gotta run what brung!!!!!

Hammer down!!

:worship: :laugh2: :banghead:

I guess I've spent too many years as a collector/restorer to want to bash a street vehicle on a rock or a tree. That's why one of my priorities when the snow melts will be getting my '86 4-banger running. It's pre-bashed :)

Personally I like the Rausch Creek as the primary run idea. I've been there twice with my local club to run and cut trails and really haven't gotten to run any of the easier stuff. The trails we put in I think would be in the 7+ out of 10 range, which is a cake walk for my CJ but way more than the XJ could handle. I'd like to be able to take the wife and baby on a run and the Cherokee would be ideal for that since it has "doors" which is my wifes main complaint about the CJ :rolleyes:
Mike B.

Back