• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pop when turning

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I wasn't quite sure whether to put this in OEM or here but since my Jeep is decently modified I figured I would have better luck here.

So my 97 XJ auto 4x4 lifted 3.5" with 33s makes an odd pop noise. The noise only occurs when turning and only when turning right. It is a single pop not a creak or a consistent popping all the way through the turn. It doesn't matter if it is from center or anywhere else in particular from the direction the wheels are turned. It makes the noise almost right away when I begin to turn right and makes the noise at a dead stop or at speed. I did have frame crack issues but I welded it up and added C-Rok's frame reinforcement kit with the inner steering box brace as well that came in the kit. I have replaced the upper and lower ball-joints on both sides a few months ago along with the axle shaft u-joints on both sides. The control arms are RC's (I know RC flex joints are junk but they were super cheap second hand and the bushing rebuild kits were free) with freshly rebuilt flex joints as of a couple of months ago and replaced the poly bushings at the axle end on the lower arms with Iron Man bushings and their tapered bushing sleeves. I also replaced the axle end upper control arm bushing with some OE style bushings. The steering is all stock. The track bar is Iron Man 4x4's track bar with the double sheer "adapter bracket" welded to the factory track bar bracket.

I haven't been able to crawl under there with someone turning the wheel but I was hoping to get some opinions on where to focus on when observing the steering cycling and what to watch out for and how to possibly fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help. This one has me stumped haha

you know what you need to do... look at it with someone turning the wheel. that person doesnt have to be mechanically inclined. hell, it can be a child.

but ive seen numerous stock axle side track bar mounts wallow out, the whole gets enlarged. if everything is new and in good working order, thats what id suspect.

x2 on trackbar, both egging at the axle side, the frame side joint, or the frame side bracket itself moving around. It should rear its ugly head on a dry steer inspection.

Check the steering box bolts. I had the same pop and had someone look for loose hardware while I yanked on the wheel. Both lower bolts were loose. Worth a look.

x3 on the trackbar bolt to the axle its loose or the hole itself got bigger then the bolt and it moves...mine did the samething with my clayton lift

Mine was popping and it ended up being the bracket on the drivers side for the track bar. It was a little loose. After I re-tightened it, it was good to go.

Watch it while somebody turns the wheel, power on in park wheels chocked.

My money, you see the axle size track bar bushing moving around.
If I'm wrong, hell, just fix what's moving and shouldn't be.

Mine had no play visible, nothing from underneath while someone else was turning.

Cranked down all bolts associated with track bar and bracket "body weight +"
and all noises disappeared.

All great suggestions guys thanks a lot now I have some places to start atleast. I saw Jeepin.com's write-up on how to fix the wollowed out axle end track bar mount so it that appears to be the cause then I will go about fixing it that way most likely. When I put the track bar on last summer I did notice that the hole for the axle end track bar bolt seemed quite a few sizes too big but I had never noticed a problem from it so I left it alone. I'll tighten up the steering box bolts and the frame end track bar mount just so I hit all my bases.

Back