• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

personal injury attorney needed.

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
anyone in the north county san diego area have a referral? experience with? got rear ended (hard) and totaled out the car.( don't worry, not the jeep.) in pain but not hospitalized. i am being advised to get an attorney. anyone with some good experiences with a good one? Larry H Parker?

be careful, whiplash and other back/neck injuries can take days to full present themselves. take it easy, glad you're ok Vic!

Thanks Grimm. thats what i have been told, and I'm sure that is what some of the pain is. but i am more worried about the hardware existing in my back holding my spine together. those two 10 inch rods I'm sure are not the most flexible. so yes i am being cautious and taking it easy.

good. glad to hear it, im aware of your previous situation and im glad you're taking it easy.

be careful of the back cover of the phone book/larry h parker type guys. most of them will fee you into the poor house for winning your case. best of luck to you.

Larry H. Parker will fight for you. Yeah right, haha. Like Mike said, be very careful with your choice of attorneys, don't pick the usual ambulance chasers. Glad you're ok so far.

2stix:

I have some professional experience that gives me some insight into choosing an attorney.

First, get a referral from your county bar association's lawyer referral service. The county bar association is a reputable organization that likely imposes standards on the attorneys who participate in the referral service. Do NOT rely on any other form of referral service without carefully vetting it to be sure it is legitimate and not simply a for-profit marketing scheme. There are plenty of those out there. When you contact the county bar association, ask what the standards are for an attorney's participation in the program.

If you cannot find your county bar association's lawyer referral service on-line, I believe there is a list somewhere on the State Bar of California's website calbar.ca.gov.

Second, before hiring any attorney, check his or her discipline history on the State Bar's website. What's posted will be limited to "public" discipline, which means any level of discipline greater than an admonition or private reproval. The State Bar cannot disclose, however, the number of consumer complaints lodged against an attorney that did not result in the imposition of public discipline. The number and nature of such complaints could, of course, be a sign of trouble. So do further due diligence by Googling the attorney to see if there is anything else out there he or she may not want you to know.

Third, avoid mills! Mills are law offices whose business model involves taking on a large volume of cases and settling them as quickly as possible. A mill is very often run by a non-lawyer "paralegal," "office manager," or "investigator," with little or no actual oversight by an attorney. The worse case scenarios involve operations run under the name of an entirely absent attorney who has essentially sold the use of his or her name, or by an elderly and cognitively impaired attorney who has no idea what's going on, or that involve outright identity theft by a non-lawyer operating in the name of a lawyer without authority. These things may sound far-fetched, but I've seen them all. Usually, however, mills operate with the full cooperation of the attorney, who is just more interested in turning a quick buck than in providing high quality professional service.

Signs to watch for: if the office manager's office is bigger than the attorney's, watch out; if the attorney is not available to speak to you in person before you sign a fee agreement, that's trouble; if the attorney is a sole practitioner who operate in more than one office location, he or she is likely spread too thin or relying too much on non-attorney staff to work without adequate supervision, at a minimum.

Fourth, you want to find a lawyer with actual and recent trial experience. Ask the attorney to identify cases he or she has recently tried and verify with the court records, which are likely available online. A PI lawyer who is only interested in settling cases but not trying them is, in my opinion, a problem. The insurance company's lawyer will know the reputation of your lawyer and will take maximum advantage of that knowledge. Also, lawyers who are not comfortable trying a case usually will find a way of getting out of the case at the last minute before trial if there is no settlement, leaving the client up a creek. You want a proven trial lawyer, not just someone who hopes for a settlement.

Fifth, read any proposed fee agreement very carefully before signing it, and ask questions. If there is any discrepancy between what's in writing and what you are told, be sure to get the fee agreement "corrected" to reflect your actual understanding. What's in writing will count, not what you've been told. And if there is any provision in the fee agreement that concerns you, ask to have it stricken and have the modification initialed by the lawyer. (As an example, when I hired a divorce attorney some years ago, there was a very standard paragraph in the agreement saying that the lawyer could farm out any legal work on the matter to another lawyer. I knew the guy had a son who had failed the Bar exam more than once, and I was concerned that the son might pass the test and that his dad could turn my case over to him. I told the lawyer exactly what my concern was and we struck out that paragraph.) Among provisions that would raise red flags with me: a statement giving the attorney authority to sign anything at all in the client's name under any circumstance; a provision allowing the lawyer to settle a claim without the client's express consent (flagrantly unethical and now pretty rare); any provision limiting the client's access to the attorney, such as a statement that communications are to be directed to non-lawyer staff.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the excellent advice. being that the weekend is here i doubt i will get anything accomplished on this, whether legal or medical. but come monday i will do exactly what you suggested and contact the county bar ass. lawyer referral service. unless of course they operate on the weekends.

i have never had to go through something like this, so i do highly appreciate the advice.

Thanks everyone. and be careful out there. this sucks.

I have some north county criminal attorneys on speed dial.......

i went to the urgent care a couple days ago. took x-rays. i am waiting to see "MY" doctor this week. i have a feeling he will send me to the spine doctor that knows my back history and hardware. i am just worried the bone that grew around my 10 inch rods has dislodged or something. the muscle pain is one thing, but the more direct pain is what i am worried about.

I never thought much about this until early this year. My wife got rear-ended, at a relatively slow speed (minimal damage to the Mazda2). She didn't think anything about it at the time of the accident, but later that day, she felt a bit queasy.

Ended up with 3 months of physical therapy. It really made a difference in how she felt. So, going to the Dr, especially with your history is a good thing.

David Bricker / SYR

Back