• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

paint herculiner?

mjdriver

NAXJA Member #1376
anyone ever paint over herculiner? spraypaint or what ever.

Can I ask why you are painting over it? I only ask because I just posted a thread asking if anyone had even coated their whole vehicle with herculiner. I was thinking of doing it because my paint is failing fast and I want better sctatch protection.

Biglead said:
Can I ask why you are painting over it? I only ask because I just posted a thread asking if anyone had even coated their whole vehicle with herculiner. I was thinking of doing it because my paint is failing fast and I want better sctatch protection.

i would want a really cold air conditioner.

I've thought about it and I don't see why not. I've decided if I ever Herc my rockers or anything I will spray paint a nice black finish over it because Ive seen Herc fade to a nice charcoal grey

i actually wrote herc on this very subject. they do not recommend painting over it as it will not adhere. it will eventually crack and flake off however they do make a uv protection additive for the black to prevent fading into charcoal. hope this helps

You could spend the extra bucks and buy durabak from the internet. It's already got UV protectant in it, and is available in a wide variety of colors. My reccommendation is to spray it on though. The one thing I regret about putting herculiner in my jeep is that I rolled it on. Now it seems like it's harder to keep clean cause dirt likes to stay in those low spots.

itsgeoff nailed it, I already coated the front bumper and when AJ builds a rear one for me I am going to coat that to, but the delema is I was going to coat my rocker panels and flares and change it from grey to black, I posted in the picture showcase and had a few guys photo shop for me just to see what it will look like.

anyone got a good upclose pic of durabak? I think they make a smooth finish that might look good, maybe I will keep it grey. I don't know I just won't to stop te rock chips from rusting out.

No pic but I've seen it. They make duraback in a smooth texture also. My buddies chevy is coated in blue durabck. I swear that is all that holds it together.

Back