• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oversized Oil Filter?

i just put the M301 mobil1 oil filter on my 01 last night. fit fine, didn't seem that close to the solenoid to me. definitely more oil! will be using these from now on, thanks for all the posts on this. WIX is a dana product, but they've been around for a long time. i used to use them on my old ford fiesta and had to order them by phone. that's right, before everyone had a PC!

I just got back from Autozone. They had a deal for 5 qts of Castrol oil and a fram filter for $11.95. I got the Mobil 1 M301 to use instead of the Fram and the parts guy told me the deal was with the Fram filter, so I needed to get one of those, too. I figured I'd save it for an emergency, but they were out of stock. So he let me sub the Mobil 1 for the Fram! 6 qts of oil, and 1 M301 filter for $15 and some change.

Some days you just get lucky!

raypla said:
On a side note my pressure went from 15 at idle to 40, switching from a Fram to a Purolator pure 1.
Sounds like your pressure is a bit high to me. The lowest it should get is 13 at 600 r.p.m. and normal idle is from 25-35 (800 r.p.m.).

Check out http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html especially at the bottom where I've included a tacky little cross-reference page.

I'm going to have to look in to the 1773 just to see what I come up with on that one. Thanks for the info, and why didn't I see this thread the first time around?

So, just to double check I can use WIX #51773 on my '95 4.0l, that is normally for a 5.0 'stang? And should add about an extra quart?

2001XJeep said:
I totally agree that this is a great mod, and have run the larger filters regularly on my Jeep fleet. But my only remaining question is why the factory went with the shorter filter in the first place?

Everything is a compromise. The stock size filter was judged "good enough" for the engine. Bigger filters require more material (aka, bulk price is possibly a bit higher)... require more oil... are heavier... require more shelf space (and hence the dealership needs to be bigger :) ) along with all the other items you mentioned.

Sometimes I worry about the teeny filter on my Honda... or the Toyota that my dad used to have. Then again, those engines ran very clean, and the oil has always been quite clean at change-time, despite the tiny filter.

Sometimes (though, rarely on Chrysler, it seems) a company will standardize on a part, and stick with it. Pretty much every water-cooled VW has the same filter, for example.

Den

From a straight engineering perspective, the larger filter is better for removing debris without reducing pressure.

Flux is the name for the measurement of solids contacting the filter given as a mass flow rate. If you have say 100 mg/l (or 100ppm, close enough to the same thing) in you oil, and your oil flows at a specific flow rate (varies with engine speed), you have a given mass flow. Divide this flow rate by the surface area of the filter to get flux. Use the big Ford filter and you won't clog the filter pores as quickly, and theflow will not be restricted.

I had NAPA look it up, the valve, threads, gasket diameter and filter media are all the same on the large and small filters. I use the biggest one they had and I need 7.5 quarts to fill, after 1500 miles the oil is still perfectly golden. I'll take a picture tonight-

Kurt04 said:
So, just to double check I can use WIX #51773 on my '95 4.0l, that is normally for a 5.0 'stang? And should add about an extra quart?
yes

Advance Auto has the Purolator Pure 1 for $4.XX right now, nearly half the price of the Mobil one and less than half the Wix. I've read that the Pure 1 is a very well made filter with lots of surface area - that restricts oil flow and reduces oil pressure. Does anyone feel strongly that the Pure 1 is a great filter for the 4.0L? The price is great but we are only talking about a few bucks over 3000 miles.

Never used a Purolator before but I used to use Mobil 1's on my Hondas because that what they use from the factory and they also have an o-ring seal instead of the cheapy square seal like the Fram have. My local parts guy swears by the WIX filters, little more expensive but I think they are worth it.

Fish'nCarz said:
Advance Auto has the Purolator Pure 1 for $4.XX right now, nearly half the price of the Mobil one and less than half the Wix. I've read that the Pure 1 is a very well made filter with lots of surface area - that restricts oil flow and reduces oil pressure. Does anyone feel strongly that the Pure 1 is a great filter for the 4.0L? The price is great but we are only talking about a few bucks over 3000 miles.
I've been very happy with the Pureone, and it seems to be a top notch filter ... however at last change (which was at 1500 miles, because I was doing an autorx treatment), there was something flopping around inside. I haven't gotten the dremel out yet to find out what's going on in there, but it kinda killed my confidence. Actually, I'll go cut it open now and post pics, maybe someone can identify it.

Here we go:
Solid looking filter. Doesn't have the string that was mentioned as a concern on bobistheoilguy. I'll go ahead and assume that has to do with the size, rather than believe it fell off and got eaten by the engine.

Looking inside the base of the filter, however, I found a tiny round piece of metal(?) that appeared to once be attached to the inside top of the filter.

You can see the piece in the lower right of the next picture. High quality seal to the top left.

Last edited:
Pictures-

This is the largest Ford filter, it holds 2 quarts, I can't remember the number but it is larger than the Mustang filter, made for trucks, etc.

P1050666.jpg

My dipstick after 15K miles on the oil change. I put 7 quarts in which brought it up to 1/2qt low. I didn't bother with the last 1/2 quart since I recenty fixed all the engine leaks (still have a rear diff leak).

P1050668.jpg

ODXJ97 said:
Same question... what's this "WIX" stuff?

WIX filters are used in many big rigs, with expensive engines that run to a million miles and more, and are expensive to rebuild... Nuff said.

Don't know where in FL you are, but an outift in Oldsmar (Clearwater area) called Florida Lubricants carried them when I lived in the area quite a few moons ago...

Expedient said:
WIX filters are used in many big rigs, with expensive engines that run to a million miles and more, and are expensive to rebuild... Nuff said.

Don't know where in FL you are, but an outift in Oldsmar (Clearwater area) called Florida Lubricants carried them when I lived in the area quite a few moons ago...

Napa carries wix...and the napa gold filters are made by wix too.

RTicUL8 said:
Maybe it's 1773 (Dude - you can see it in your picture)

lol, didn't even look at it. :)

I tried purolator pureone's a couple of times, both on the 4.0 in the XJ and the 2.5L's in the TJ's.
In the XJ when I had the idiot light dash it took almost 30 seconds for the oil light to go out on a cold mornings start. I was used to the instant pressure from the Mopar OEM, K&N and the Mobil-1's I had been using. Went back to what I had been using. Once the gauge panel went in I tried it again and with the purolator it took just about 15 seconds for the pressure to build.
About 2 months ago I did it again, tried the Purolator pure one on the TJ's, they needed oil changes before we went to Cape Cod so I changed first my 97 with it's 2.5L 5 speed. Initally it went OK but on the next day while going up to a customers house to setup a wireless router my check gauges light came on, oil pressure at Idle was -0-,at 2K it was 20lbs, let off the gas and back to -0- again. Nursed it home and swapped in a K&N, pressure back and all was good, did the same thing on the YJ, back to a K&N for that one to. No more purolators for me, got one sitting on the shelf [shoulda took it back but forgot], it's a PL14670, anybody want it, come get it.
I stocked up at Advance Auto on Mobil-1's on sunday, they are running a special till the 30th....

Excellent to know... My Ford Ranger and Mustang both use the FL1A Motorcraft (almost all fords do) so now I can just buy the same filters for all my rigs. :) Well except for the Corrolla.....

Holy crap guys, I use the 1773 on my powerstroke diesel and it holds 14 quarts total. Little excessive for our application, not to mention Napa wants over $15 for one stinking filter.

Back