• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating

sdryde

NAXJA Forum User
I built a stroker .060 over and it seems to runs too hot alot.
The Question is has any one heard of cooling issues due to going too big on the bore? IE .060 over

the reasoning behind this is the cylinder walls are too thin and under heavy load the coolant flashes to steam at the cylinder.

I have replaced everything in the cooling system and have two electric fans

thanks ---Justin

if u replaced the entire cooling system and have great unrestricted airflow then u bored to big and need to sleve it down to .040 over. did u chemical clean the block after the bore?

yes everything was replaced including the "radiator cap"

the cooling style is open
CR is 10.75:1 runs on half 112, half 91 octane

Has anyone personally experienced this issue?

And the block was chemically cleaned

can this problem be solve by second radiator or just a larger remote one? Has any one done this before?

I built a stroker .060 over and it seems to runs too hot a lot.

Exactly how hot does it run and in what situations?
The overbore is definitely NOT the reason why the engine's running hot but if the A/F mixture's too lean, that definitely WOULD make the engine run hot.

yes everything was replaced including the "radiator cap"

the cooling style is open
CR is 10.75:1 runs on half 112, half 91 octane

Has anyone personally experienced this issue?

That is a lot of compression for an Iron head motor, so that may be a contributing factor. I'm assuming you get knock with just 91? Higher octane can also lead to higher temps simply because it's point of ignition is higher.

For that combo you have you may need a very thick aluminum radiator and a good electric water pump. I would also run a proper lower shroud under the radiator (like the factory "blanket" setup), and vent the hood to get as much air flow as possible.

What was the series of events that led to the replacement of components? E.g. did it run cool with the stock 4.0L then when you installed the stroker it began to run hot? Or did you replace the parts at the same time you installed the stroker? Did you use all stock parts or did you use some improved parts? When doe sit run hot (idling at a light, city driving, highway driving, etc)?

My setup is about the same. With mine the fans and radiator were the problem. What model fan are you running and are you using a shroud? What radiator do you have?

Exactly how hot does it run and in what situations?
The overbore is definitely NOT the reason why the engine's running hot but if the A/F mixture's too lean, that definitely WOULD make the engine run hot.

What was the series of events that led to the replacement of components? E.g. did it run cool with the stock 4.0L then when you installed the stroker it began to run hot? Or did you replace the parts at the same time you installed the stroker? Did you use all stock parts or did you use some improved parts? When doe sit run hot (idling at a light, city driving, highway driving, etc)?

My setup is about the same. With mine the fans and radiator were the problem. What model fan are you running and are you using a shroud? What radiator do you have?

X2 on all of this. You are running dual electrics... What cfm are they each pulling?

Check with an IR temp gun inlet and outlet temp on the radiator and post up. Also, how well does the engine run? What's your AFR?

Last edited:
renix system
24 lb injectors
comp cam
mopar springs
7120 head polished gasket matched
99+ intake
stock renix TB....soon to be replaced
10.5 - 10.75 CR
quench height .043
half 112, half 91 octane

I did not modify Fuel pressure reg, or MAP
i don't have a wide band o2 so I don't have AFR #
Lean condition could be it

at speed in the desert it does ok(205-215) until I get on the throttle and then i watch the temp rise

I don't drive it on the street so I could not tell you about those conditions
basically when the foot gets heavy the temps rise and if I don't let off the throttle the temp gauge would probably peg out

for fans I am using some bottom of the line fans so i guess flow rate is not so great, plus no shroud

Radiator is three row copper

I would look into some better fans. Get the highest CFM fans you can fit and build a shroud for them. Since you're not using the mechanical fan the mount can be cut down for even more room. I made the mistake of running lower CFM fans and it was a bad idea. I also changed the probe on my controller to one that mounts in the thermostat housing and it's much more reliable.

Back