• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating problem.

Rufio said:
ok i will check my fan clutch, but this just happend recently when i was out 4wheelin. it was fine tell i got out there did some light wheelin through water and mud then i idle'd and it started overheating

lol i even got a pic of it....

2286156_3_full.jpg

Clean the mud out of and between your radiator and condenser then see what happens.
As far as whether it is good or not, there is a method that involves drilling a small hole between the fan and the radiator then sticking a thermometer in there, watching it heat up, then block the radiator and whatch it get hotter, remove block and see it cool down. That the FSM method, the one I use is start it cold, the fan should ROAR for about 30 seconds then quiet down. Every bad one I've found did not ROAR when it was cold.

DubaiXJ said:
True story.

Normally, I'd agree with you. Swing wrenches for somewhere around 30 years...

I've run across three engines total that DID NOT LIKE having thermostats installed, and ran better without them - all that I've owned, oddly enough. They were...

1980 Honda Accord 1.8L I4 CVCC
1985 Chevvy Cavalier 2.0L I4
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L I6

I'm still not sure why, but they would not fail to overheat within the space of 30 minutes with a thermostat - with all the rest of the cooling system either new or just flushed (for the engine and heater core.) I know they were clean.

My 88 still don't like having a thermostat - and I just can't figure out why. I know it's maintained well - I do it myself. But, out of the probably couple hundred engines I've dealt with - in all sorts of vehicles and equipment - those are the only three I've run across that just didn't like thermostats. Go figure. One thing I do know - they're thoroughly individual examples. Maybe when I rebuild the engine in my 88 I can inspect it more thoroughly, and see what the issue it. I didn't have a chance to do so on the other two.

5-90

Back