• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Out with the old, in with the new

Decided to swap SYE's from one tranfer case to another today. Thought it was going to be a half day job. Just as I was put the two halfs together I noticed a crack in the rear lower housing, so apart it all came and thankfully I have a few 231 parts laying around.
I was wondering where the fluid was coming from. :D

I was kindof going off of the same theory. :D I thought about leaving it alone, but my luck is it would of broken when I didn't want to. I have broken one front half of a tranfer case once before, I want to prevent doing it again as much as possible. :D LOL I am glad I switched cases, the screen was just about plugged with hardened silicone. Previous owner used just a little too much gasket maker.

Oh, yeah, a broken transfer case. I forgot about that.

It would have been ok if Nate didn't speed up to 40 mph and forget I was on the other end of the tow strap :D

Oh, yeah, a broken transfer case. I forgot about that.

It would have been ok if Nate didn't speed up to 40 mph and forget I was on the other end of the tow strap :D

you broke that sh!t long before I hooked a strap to it.

Well, I would of had the old motor out of the 97 last night but I gave up, do to those two damn upper bellhousing bolts. LOL Now this morning I will drop the crossmember, pull the engine mount bolts, and drop the drivetrain down a bit to get better acccess to those two damn bolts. Then on to swapping out all the sensors as the 96 sensors are different than the 97. (n)

I was thinking of pulling the motor/trans/tranfer case all as one, but that is more I have to do than. LOL That and I can no longer pull them all as one, torque converter bolts are out and I don't want to put them back in. :D

100_1733.jpg

100_1734.jpg

Sure is a familiar site. :D After stripping the one of the upper bellhousing bolts, all three pieces came out. :D So now I can swap the 231 in place of the 242, get everything from the 97 motor swapped over to the 96 and get it shoved back in place.

And just to think, I thought I was going to be wheeling this thing this weekend. LOL

Are you done Yet, Kim? :D

Nope. Right now I am working on a few things before I put the drivetrain back in. I am currently drilling the holes for the plates that go with the belly pan. I have a couple other things to do but many more I would like to do, but I want to take this thing for a ride after the motor is installed. I want to make sure everything is working good before I move to the axles and suspension.

My '96 has '97 connectors on it. That's why my temp guage is currently not working. I have to swap to the new style sender.

QFT

The 96 is a bastard year. Good Jeep, but outer is pre 97 body, drivetrain is 97+

The water pump spins different from my 95 to my 96...

mac 'go Jeep' gyvr

Back