• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Out with the carpet, in with the rubber mat - lots of pics

YEP!

srimes said:
It stops most of the heat. I'd say it's about the same as carpet without padding. The trans tunnel would get too hot to touch for more than a second, and now when I press my hand there it just feels a little warm. Not bad at all.

It hasn't melted yet, and I doubt it will. But if it does I'll report it.

I don't know how heavy it is. Definatly heavier than the carpet+padding or herculiner. The whole roll probably weighed about 50 lb, and I'm probably using 3/4 of it in the passanger area. There wasn't enough to do the very back, so I'll do that later. If I get another roll of the same stuff I'll weigh it.
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about doing Dynamat Dynaliner over the hot spots (exhaust mainly) and a vinyl floor kit, but this seems to be a good alternative.

So I just did this "mod" today and I really like it. I used about 3/4 of it also, and IMO it weighs less than my carpet, but probably because I'll be leaving my cargo area bare.

Pros:
It barely gets hot around the tranny tunnel, the areas over my exhaust are surprisingly cool, and road noise (to me) is just as unnoticeable as when I had no carpet. Heat may be less because I'm also using heavy duty rubber foot mats.

Cons:
Hella hard to cut and fit. I should've just used a cut-off wheel.
Somewhat loose fit over the tunnel, but not too noticeable if done right.

Starscream said:
So I just did this "mod" today and I really like it.

Sweet! party1:

It's cool to see that someone got good use from my posting. It's definatly a utilitarian mod, and not for those who want something plush. I'm glad that you like it too.

That is a very creative mod. I like it.

I have a 2001 XJ and was considering doing the same thing but I wanted to Rhino line the whole floor or Line-X.

I don't really know which one is better but I wanted to know if by doing this I would have any problems with heat coming up through the floor or major road noise.

I think the spray in style would be durable and look clean.

What are the downfalls to it guys??

BIG.XJ.FLAMES said:
That is a very creative mod. I like it.

I have a 2001 XJ and was considering doing the same thing but I wanted to Rhino line the whole floor or Line-X.

I don't really know which one is better but I wanted to know if by doing this I would have any problems with heat coming up through the floor or major road noise.

I think the spray in style would be durable and look clean.

What are the downfalls to it guys??

downfalls? there really are none if you wheel your jeep a lot. the only thing that gets on my nerves is driving in the summer and the tranny tunnel gets a little warm and it is still a bit noisy inside (flowmaster doesn't help too much). other than that i love it, durable, looks good, and washes off easily.

srimes said:
Sweet! party1:

It's cool to see that someone got good use from my posting. It's definatly a utilitarian mod, and not for those who want something plush. I'm glad that you like it too.
Yep, thanks for being the ginny pig on this one.

As for everyone else asking about liner, do the liner and then do this - you get the rust protection from the liner and the heat deadening of this rubber matting.

As soon as I have the time I'll pull the mats and line my floors.

Just pull the mat back and glue the seams with a goog glue i think it looks good i'm gonna do mine soon with heay shield pad from jc whitney and then a garage floor rubber mat from sams club

The heavy carpeted mats that you see at the front door of stores and comercial buildings is great for this. You turn it carpet side down for insulation and the bottom is tuff rubber somtimes smooth and somtimes with little grabby tits. Look up comercial floor mats in the yellow pages and tell them you need a stained one for a project. It's perfect for this and cheap.

Back